The Dark Mod Forums

I made a "space zombie" md5mesh and md5anims

Stepan1010

Good work.

One thing, though. Would it be possible that you post all your work in one thread instead of starting a new one over and over again?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Whoa, thats some serious work you are putting in there, I say fantastic stuff, not easy to see so much coherent work being produced like that in our midst. Wish you good luck with your project, Im getting a bit of a system shock 2 kind of feel to it, with the horror elements (very cool zombies btw), it works nicely. I guess your guy kind of got sucked into that supernova thing there at the end or maybe his ship exploded, that sucks, but at least he put up a fight. ;)

Whoa, thats some serious work you are putting in there, I say fantastic stuff, not easy to see so much coherent work being produced like that in our midst. Wish you good luck with your project, Im getting a bit of a system shock 2 kind of feel to it, with the horror elements (very cool zombies btw), it works nicely. I guess your guy kind of got sucked into that supernova thing there at the end or maybe his ship exploded, that sucks, but at least he put up a fight. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. Several people have commented on the art style being reminiscent of SS2. It may have been conscious or subconscious(I can't remember) - but I was indeed playing SS2 when I decided on the art style I would use.

That "supernova" is the placeholder ship destruction particle effect(with a count of 3 or 4 particles total - the final version will probably have hundreds or thousands). Many of the models are placeholders still: the ships' consoles and modules - the captains chairs and transporter pads.

• 5 months later...

Hahaha, good eyes Toni, had not spotted that. Very cool indeed, tons of work going on! I also see that guy(s) playing flipperama down there, always changing. I quite like the art direction, with those clean, geometric, full color style you are going for, the great variety of engines, workstations and the spaceship tech. Very good work man.

Wow thats a ton of crazy stuff getting on your ship there! :)

Why is the person's head (to the right in the screen) always changing too?

Each color scheme and art style is associated with an alien species in my game. I came up with names for them:

Artifician - robots

Bellumturan - war lizards

Cerebturan - brainiacs

Human - you know this one

Insecturan - insects

Machinulan - borgish

Malnuran - demons

Mendacian - froggies

Transitorian - scavengers, scrappers

Hahaha, good eyes Toni, had not spotted that. Very cool indeed, tons of work going on! I also see that guy(s) playing flipperama down there, always changing. I quite like the art direction, with those clean, geometric, full color style you are going for, the great variety of engines, workstations and the spaceship tech. Very good work man.

You are way too kind. I tried to stick with an art style that I could produce rather quickly but still looked decent. I hope other people feel the same way as you. Maybe they will, maybe they won't - once I put all the pieces together . . . time will tell.

• 1 month later...

I love the little details that you can see on some of the ships and on what looks like the space station.

Really cool ships, I like the RTS, Starcraft kind of feel you get seeing all the fleets going around like that!

Thanks I appreciate that. It's good to know people seem OK with the art style I'm doing in this game.

This is really impressive.

Are you doing these as a hobbie?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 4 months later...

Did you read on colour theory for doing this btw? I mean like what colour implies which emotional feeling? Looks like you did - pretty nailed it for me :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Did you read on colour theory for doing this btw? I mean like what colour implies which emotional feeling? Looks like you did - pretty nailed it for me :)

I have not read that much about color theory. I mostly used my own personal/cultural interpretation of each color. And I also relied a lot on Star Trek which is a major source of inspiration for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, your skill of creating interfaces may would benefit the mod, wouldn't it? At the moment there's too much functions in one place to make the user understand without explanation but what it shows is that you are able to create an excessive interface which gives the user so much power. Maybe you can have a look at the new inventory system in 2.04 (not implying it would be bad) and improve it further for 2.05?

And also the effect you created, when the ship travels (the player view changes like he / she is sitting in an airplane which drives really fast) is also very impressive.

Good work on this! I hope you can transport something of your new found knowledge into The Dark Mod :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Wow, your skill of creating interfaces may would benefit the mod, wouldn't it? At the moment there's too much functions in one place to make the user understand without explanation but what it shows is that you are able to create an excessive interface which gives the user so much power. Maybe you can have a look at the new inventory system in 2.04 (not implying it would be bad) and improve it further for 2.05?

And also the effect you created, when the ship travels (the player view changes like he / she is sitting in an airplane which drives really fast) is also very impressive.

Good work on this! I hope you can transport something of your new found knowledge into The Dark Mod :)

Once I get the first public build of the game available for download (probably will be on IndieDB), I'll also post my version/fork of the open source code on github. I'll be sure to let you guys know about it on this forum. My feeling is that there will not be much of use to you guys, but if there is anything I'll be happy to explain how I did it. For example the warp effect is a modified version of the warp effect from the grabber in ROE - combined with a simple fade to white.

Edited by Stepan1010
  • Like 2