124 replies to this topic

#1 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

POPULAR

Having your own thread to put what you're working on into sounds like a great idea, so here goes:

Update:
Spoiler

RAoBKi0.png

To begin with, I made a new ship, which is an idea I got after walking around my old carack and seeing many ways to do things better.

This one is a smaller, single-decked ship with two masts, made entirely in DarkRadiant. The idea was to have a much tidier construction from the beginning, which suited a Victorian age ship (and rectangular railings can look surprisingly good ;) ) The end result is 17500 polys, compared to 27000 polys for my carack and 16000 for Pink_Dot's galleon. I'd be happy for others to use it before I do (a while still), though it still needs to be optimised a lot.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

For the ambience I'd like to get these sounds game-ready:
For the exterior: http://freesound.org.../sounds/147776/
For the interior: http://freesound.org.../sounds/265553/

Only editor screenshots at the moment because it's not so easy for me to recolour the wood textures - ingame, only a small area around me has the new colour. So I'm using the black_matt texture for now, which is invisible ingame at night.

Also, an altar, as .ase. Somehow 1450 polys, but now that I looked at it again I saw plenty places to shave off some polys.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Dragofer, 09 April 2015 - 01:07 PM.

• Springheel, Bikerdude, AluminumHaste and 11 others like this

#2 Noordung

Noordung

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

Very nice looking ship. Just dont make it too tight because I remember some problems in 1st officer room in your carrack. As a suggestion ship could have steam powered winches for sails and anchor like 19th century schooners. Since you cant really put many sailors on ship this would be perfect excuse for smaller crew.

#3 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Looks really good, the only crit I would have is the lack of hammers on the altar (assuming this is for TDM of course).

Edited by Moonbo, 08 April 2015 - 07:47 PM.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#4 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 35923 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

I'd be happy for others to use it before I do (a while still), though it still needs to be optimised a lot.

It's several months away, but there could definitely be a use for those ships in an upcoming project.

• Bikerdude likes this
Posted Image

#5 Tr00pertj

Tr00pertj

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:10 PM

Man That is awesome. Absolutely well made so far and very impressive.

There is a pop about 141.00 in the exterior sound effect stream I think sort of broke the otherwise engrossing sound environment. I could just imagine creeping on and looking over my shoulder as the crack of a rope struck a mast.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

#6 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:18 AM

Very nice looking ship. Just dont make it too tight because I remember some problems in 1st officer room in your carrack. As a suggestion ship could have steam powered winches for sails and anchor like 19th century schooners. Since you cant really put many sailors on ship this would be perfect excuse for smaller crew.

The problems of using a tight space are very familiar to me, I lost count of the number of times I wanted to extend the carack :P After my last experience this one will be more user-friendly. The rooms will use the whole width this time, and with the different hull this new ship has almost the same interior length and width as my old one despite being much smaller. At this point I'll also say that it takes almost the same time to build a smaller ship (exterior) as a larger ship.

Looks really good, the only crit I would have is the lack of hammers on the altar (assuming this is for TDM of course).

That was meant as a church of God, but with a few tweaks and extra patches the cross can turn into a Builder hammer.

Man That is awesome. Absolutely well made so far and very impressive.

There is a pop about 141.00 in the exterior sound effect stream I think sort of broke the otherwise engrossing sound environment. I could just imagine creeping on and looking over my shoulder as the crack of a rope struck a mast.

Thanks for your opinion :) - yeah, you can hear a car and someone speaking at some points in the recordings, so my plan is to take a clean 20 second piece and loop it.

That's quite stormy weather you're imagining there, my impression is that most of the sound the ropes make is the clattering in the wind and when the mooring ropes rub along the hull and make a creaking noise. But there's a decent ambient for very stormy seas too:
wind - http://freesound.org.../sounds/115332/
sea - http://freesound.org.../sounds/246515/

Edited by Dragofer, 09 April 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17971 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:22 AM

Very nice work young man, that ship is very impressive. My only crits/feed back are -

• The darkwood used on the hull wont show up to well in-game as its too dark. Maybe change it for "textures/darkmod/wood/boards/ship_hull_dark"
  • The fence on the board plank woudnt be of much use for grabbing onto at the top near the ship. Fyi the handrail should be no more thna 48 units above the plank.
  • Very nice alter, but instead of a scross we should have a builder symbol/model.

#8 Tr00pertj

Tr00pertj

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

I get what your saying about creeks from the moorings rubbing against the hull. Thats very much part of the internal sound file I think. Environment effects anyone would be happy with but I didn't hear any poeople.

Edited by Tr00pertj, 09 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

#9 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

POPULAR

A new ship today, a sloop for a modest merchantman or for a traveller who's in a hurry:

Spoiler

And the altar was slimmed down to 600 polys and has a true hammer symbol on it now:

Spoiler

These ships are enjoyable to make so I'd like to do a few more different types for fun. Maybe some small reusable ships for harbours, but I'm open to literally any suggestions  :)

Edit: Some ambient loops for use on ships, 5 files, the source sounds are from www.freesound.org:

- sailboat_interior_loop. Sound by AugustSandberg

- weather_wind_docks_loop. Sound by jimsin

- weather_wind_aggressive_loop. Sound by deku

- water_ocean_stormy_loop. Sound by kangaroovindaloo

- water_ocean_stormy_ondeck_loop. Sound by kangaroovindaloo

www.dropbox.com/s/d2aatkgploy5v07/maritime_ambients.rar?dl=0

Edited by Dragofer, 14 April 2015 - 04:15 AM.

• Bikerdude, PsymH, Moonbo and 5 others like this

#10 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17971 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

Very impressive as always young man :-)

#11 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Sorry mate, did you say you made those "inside" DR?! Because that would be mental, you deserve some kind of award or something, those models look very refined, plausible you know. And theres a whole fleet of them!

Im not sure people are actually aware of the kind of work going on here. Amazing stuff, hopefully you'll put it to good use in your own mission?

BTW whats with all these creative work being modeled in DR, Airship Ballet's chests, these ships... :)

Edited by RPGista, 17 April 2015 - 02:02 PM.

• Bikerdude, Dragofer and SteveL like this

#12 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you like these.

inside DR?

Using DR is a bit of a habit - by now I'm familiar with the editor, unlike Blender. There are a lot of vertices to drag around, but it works eventually and it's much less technically involved, skipping things like unwrapping and exporting, and you can use the same controls you've practised in map-building already. Maybe this explains the latest trend in using DR this way.

Sometimes I wonder if there are differences between a patch (.ase) "model" and one in Blender, like performance, but then again in a patch ship it's much easier to turn off/on shadows and clipmodels or for someone else to make changes.

hopefully you'll put it to good use in your own mission?

Certainly, the sloop will be the only reliable connection between a settlement in Newfoundland and an outlying locale, and the tallship brings an unwelcome visitor. What fun mapping is :P
  • Anderson likes this

#13 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17971 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

Maybe this explains the latest trend in using DR this way.

I make all my  models in DR, I just wish the .ASE export didnt screw about with the textures.

#14 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4746 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:38 AM

I've fixed this a while ago. Do you have the latest export script? (I barely remember greebo forgetting about adding it)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#15 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17971 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:55 AM

I've fixed this a while ago. Do you have the latest export script? (I barely remember greebo forgetting about adding it)

I could have sworn I asked him to intergrate the latest script into the DR 2.03, here is a copy of it -

Spoiler

#16 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4746 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:11 AM

Nope, that's the old one. Use this instead: http://forums.thedar...orter/?p=318475

WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.

#17 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17971 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:15 AM

Youv'e linked me to the ase_blend_export thread?.

#18 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4746 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

The blend export script works like the normal export script if you don't use the blend texture. ;)

I don't have a fixed version of the original script lying around, although I think I've uploaded it once here. But I would have to search it. It's easier if you just use that one.

#19 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

POPULAR

A horsedrawn stage coach, and some new lamps. They would use these coaches in the past for covering long distances overland with packages, passengers and maybe also funds for a business transaction onboard.

ZZWm76R.jpg

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Dragofer, 07 May 2015 - 11:37 AM.

• Tels, Bikerdude, AluminumHaste and 13 others like this

#20 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Core mod *bangbangbang* core mod *bangbangbang* core mod *bangbangbang*

• Tels, nbohr1more and Goldwell like this

#21 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17971 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

Agreed, a lot of these incredably impressive models will have to be added to the mod, the stagecoach while impressive is a tad too modern. But on the subject of the stagecoash, you should make one thats static and closed aswell for mappers to use (will have less tris with no interior etc)

@Dragofer, can you PM a link to all the models you have made and I will go through them and add all the apropriate ones to the SVN so they are part of the eventual 2.04 update.

#22 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 35923 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

I don't think the stage coaches are especially modern. 

"By the mid 17th century, a basic stagecoach infrastructure had been put in place.[6] The first stagecoach route started in 1610 and ran from Edinburgh to Leith"

It's pretty damn impressive, but what format is it?  It's harder to include assets that aren't models or entities.

• Anderson likes this
Posted Image

#23 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

Agreed, and they would make an excellent addition to the mod.

Speaking on the topic of what gets added to the core mod how does that process work? is it upto just whoever places the models in the SVN or do you guys discuss things behind the scenes? or is it just one person deciding what they think should be added or not?

The Accountant Series
Part 1: A Noble Home (complete rebuild coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#24 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for your comments  :)

Agreed, a lot of these incredably impressive models will have to be added to the mod, the stagecoach while impressive is a tad too modern. But on the subject of the stagecoash, you should make one thats static and closed aswell for mappers to use (will have less tris with no interior etc)

I've followed your suggestion and stripped out the interior. That reduced the total polys by 1000 and now 2100 polys cast shadows. And it led to a fun discovery: the dark wood is actually a colorme texture! I've made another version of this coach that uses the colorme texture for the trim too, so you can select the trim or body panels and give them new colours with the _color spawnarg. A small downside is that the trim looks less sharp because the original texture gives a shadow at the edges.

Exterior - www.dropbox.com/s/0zv8erbly3k5gjy/stagecoach_exterior.map?dl=0

Exterior, colorme - www.dropbox.com/s/s4jstbgpbklzn2b/stagecoach_exterior_colorme.map?dl=0

Spoiler

@Dragofer, can you PM a link to all the models you have made and I will go through them and add all the apropriate ones to the SVN so they are part of the eventual 2.04 update.

Sure, a lot of these things just need to be fixed up so they work properly.

"By the mid 17th century, a basic stagecoach infrastructure had been put in place.[6] The first stagecoach route started in 1610 and ran from Edinburgh to Leith"

It's pretty damn impressive, but what format is it?  It's harder to include assets that aren't models or entities.

They're all a collection of patches made in DR. The components of the stagecoach could be converted into .ase models so they show up in the create models list, but a prefab would come with preset spawnargs and can be tweaked easily by other mappers.

Edited by Dragofer, 07 May 2015 - 03:58 PM.

• Bikerdude, HMart, RPGista and 1 other like this

#25 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 35923 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

We've really got to get you a modelling program. :)

• Bikerdude and HMart like this
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users