The Dark Mod Forums

Magnanimous Merry's Miscellanea

Airship Ballet

Only gone and fixed that for you avn'I? Just replace the skin file with this one. Added it to the zip too, obviously.

Thank you!

That fixed the problem however I have found another bug now :P

Whenever the paintings are frob highlighted they show another painting transparently

http://i.imgur.com/blByqii.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6UJSfLr.jpg

I'm actually not sure why that is; to my knowledge the reference is in the right place:

merrypainting01
{
	qer_editorimage	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_ed
	wood

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d
	bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_local
	specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_s
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d        <---- Pretty sure it's this line.
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
	{							
		if (global5 == 1)		
		blend add				
		map				models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d		
		scale			1, 1		
		red				global2	
		green			global3	
		blue			global4	
	}							
	{							
		if (global5 == 2)		
		blend add				
		program	ambientEnvironment.vfp	
		vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1		// UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump	
		vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	// (X,Y) UV Scale for specular		
		vertexParm		2		global2, global3, global4, 1	

fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
		fragmentMap		1		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_local			// Bump				
		fragmentMap		2		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d			// Diffuse			
		fragmentMap		3		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_s			// Specular			
	}
}

Anybody know what's up with it?

Edited by Airship Ballet

I'm actually not sure why that is; to my knowledge the reference is in the right place:

merrypainting01
{
	qer_editorimage	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_ed
	wood

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d
	bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_local
	specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_s
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d        <---- Pretty sure it's this line.
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
	{							
		if (global5 == 1)		
		blend add				
		map				models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d		
		scale			1, 1		
		red				global2	
		green			global3	
		blue			global4	
	}							
	{							
		if (global5 == 2)		
		blend add				
		program	ambientEnvironment.vfp	
		vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1		// UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump	
		vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	// (X,Y) UV Scale for specular		
		vertexParm		2		global2, global3, global4, 1	

fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
		fragmentMap		1		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_local			// Bump				
		fragmentMap		2		models/darkmod/props/textures/merrypainting01_d			// Diffuse			
		fragmentMap		3		models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_s			// Specular			
	}
}

Anybody know what's up with it?

I think that line you pointed out was the problem because I just modified that line on merrypainting02 from "textures/painting03_d" to "textures/merrypainting02_d" and now the transparent painting is gone! I will go through and change each of them for the respective painting and post back here soon. I believe that will fix the issue overall :)

edit: and here's the updated materials file, I went through and changed all of "painting03_d" references to the correct ones as per the painting. http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/rfSnEgk6/file.html

I have tested it with a couple and it seems to be working so hopefully that solves the problem!

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh hi. The halloween rush burned me, so I've turned to modelling for a while. Last night I went a-googling, found a picture, modelled it and turned it into a light entity within a few hours. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, but, of course, there's a problem.

I found this.

With it, I made this.

In-game, it looks like this.

I thought I modelled it pretty well.

So what's the deal with this?

Yeah, something weird is going on with the smoothing groups, by the look of it. I assume there's no normalmap?

Fiddling with the smoothing groups did it, thanks! I hadn't added normals, because I didn't want to go through the hell that is UV mapping with a model that was ultimately broken.

Looking good now, though!

02a994aadb.jpg

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 3

That's one good-looking lamp. Not a steam lamp, though!

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well played.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hmm, Springheel/others would know better than me - but that figure sounds a bit high for such a small object. Ive heard the usual trick is to have a low poly model with a high qaulity normal, but dont know how well that would apply to your model in this instance.

But as you have a handle on LW, then you might want to have a look at the model wishlist -

- http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Model_Wishlist

They were actually built pretty low-poly. Every cylinder had 8 sides maximum, often fewer, it's just because there are a lot of them. They're intricate-looking steampunk gadgeridoos, so even if made efficiently they end up breaking 1k when made into tris. Still, there are a few core lights that break 1k, and even some that break 2. My models obviously have super-duper low-poly shadow meshes, and the tris themselves haven't proven to be a huge performance drain in the past. I've been replacing lights in my maps with these, and the FPS counter stays the same. They're not intended for inclusion in the core game anyway, so I'm none too worried, and I'm sure I'll get more efficient as I keep learning regardless.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

The new lights look like something that could crop up in Metropolis.

WRT their level of detail, if they are not used much in outdoors areas, a higher than average tri count is probably not absolutely relevant. Plus, as hardware gets better, even as this process has slowed down recently, it becomes less and less important.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to make a request please...

Would it be possible to have some bourbon bottles and more wine bottles too?

I find the current ones in TDM get a bit stale over the use of a map and i'd love to add some more variety.

Oh fantastic! Are those available for download yet?

Haha! I didn't notice it, no. It's a real (public domain) label from the early C20th, apparently. I've already done a few others, though. Before I make different bottles, the idea is to just add variety to what's already there.