Darkmod Mission Randomizer

20 replies to this topic

#1 n3ux

n3ux

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

Hello!

I've started work on a Darkmod mission generator.
I'm doing this for my final project in order to complete college. I'm not planing to create a usable result during but I will get closer. I intend to complete it after the assignment is over. I might turn this into a team effort at some point.

I've been able to create 1 level of a city till now and am continuing the with the work:
I've also created a tiling algorithm not showcased here which fills these houses with rooms.

alley.jpg
http://www.imageuplo...05/08/alley.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by n3ux, 08 May 2015 - 01:24 PM.

• Jesps, jaxa and Anderson like this

#2 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36020 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:19 PM

Certainly interesting, though I can't fathom how this would work in practice.

Posted Image

#3 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Take a look at this for ideas: http://www.swift-mazes.com/

#4 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Awesome! Did you make some nice screenshots for the community already? :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#5 n3ux

n3ux

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

@SeriousToni
Unfortunatelly no.
The module for translating my generated level info into a map file is not yet made. 
But i guess I'll have to make it soon to have a better view over the randomization of upper levels of the city.

#6 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

I think the most important question for us is if it visportals properly, so performance will be ok, and then maybe secondly that it's lit properly so there's the right amount of light & shadow, and not overlapping lights that kill performance. If that happens, then I think it's possible to have template rules for placing everything else, guards, loot, random items and readables, etc & have it workable. (Guard paths might be another challenge though.) I've seen procedural generation in other games do respectably enough to have faith in this.

Or what it might mean is that the system gets like 85% right on, and a mapper may need to go in and add or tweak 15% to sanity check it & make it a proper FM.

But that's a hell of a lot of work to have done procedurally. If it's good enough to get working levels out of the box, all the better. You just push generate & play. And if one turns out to be a dud, you just try it again. You could make a cool rogue-like out of the concept. Good luck with it anyway!

Posted Image

#7 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:36 AM

(Guard paths might be another challenge though.)

If he's got some type of graph setup, on easy method would be to assign a number of rooms to a guard and then find a patrol path.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#8 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:31 AM

This should be used together with the modular building system in my opinion. People would focus on making and contributing high-quality planned modules and then the algorithm mashes them together. If the algorithm is sound enough as Demagogue says, players could click on "new game" and "generate mission" and set their preferences for what type of mission it should be, set a check next to undead/spiders, mansion / city slums / and or docks, heist / assassination / espionage or random etc. and then click play. That would take a story generator too.

I'd definitely play that.

Edited by Dragofer, 09 May 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#9 SteveL

SteveL

Hero Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

The module for translating my generated level info into a map file is not yet made.

Alternative workflows for map making are always interesting. What does your algorithm currently output, if not a .map file? And what are we looking at in your OP picture?

#10 n3ux

n3ux

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

@demagogue
Curentlly I'm not too conserned with the porting my generated info into game files, I'm sure its gonna be tricky but I think its doable.

@161803398874989
Yes, I do have a graph setup, It's pretty much necessary for creating puzzle trees.

@Dragofer
I agree. It should be modular and based on config and preferences files so It can be easily expanded and modified. I try to keep it clean and expandable but working by myself at the moment I can only do so much. If this becomes a team effort it will deffinately become modular.
Story generator is a thing I've been thinking about but haven't really experimented with it yet, I've got some ideas and I'm sure with some help it's doable.

@SteveL
What your looking at is a result of a tiling problem done few years ago. I've reused it in the new project and houses are now successfully filled with rooms.

Roomd.png

• Anderson likes this

#11 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

Medieval Castle Floor Plans

Pinterest Floor Plans

Medieval Castle Layout: The Different Rooms and Areas of a Typical Castle

Hall house

Category:Floor plans

Category:Old maps of cities

File:Bedford_engraved_by_J.Roper_after_G.Cole_published_1806.jpg

File:Exeter,_1563.jpg

1879_Plan_de_ChCh.jpg

Category:Old_maps_of_Milan

File:Florence1493.png

File:Braun_Venezia_UBHD.jpg

Edited by jaxa, 16 May 2015 - 03:22 PM.

• n3ux likes this

#12 n3ux

n3ux

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

Update:

I've successfully filled the generated citys houses with rooms.
What your seeing is 4 random outputs each with 3 levels (Bottom - left, Top - right).

(also, jaxa ur awsome!)

City_small.png

Larger version:
http://www.imageuplo.../05/19/City.png

Edited by n3ux, 19 May 2015 - 10:56 AM.

• jaxa and Anderson like this

#13 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

No problem. Ask Tels if you need Swift Mazes code. A lot of it should be applicable to translating your randomly generated maps into fully functional Dark Mod maps.

Edited by jaxa, 19 May 2015 - 02:06 PM.

#14 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

Yes, Tels is truely a friendly professional in this! And so are you! Nice to see this evolving! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#15 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:51 AM

Most certainly an interesting concept, looking forward to seeing how it goes! But there hasn't been an update since last May... I really hope the idea is not dead.

#16 n3ux

n3ux

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since i've updated the status of this project.
Unfortunatelly, I've been unsuccessful in gathering a team of 2-4 to tackle this problem. Its too huge of a problem for a single programmer to handle.
I'm a hardcore TTLG thief fan but never got too far into darkmod. Certain things bothered me, english voice acting for one, but this is not the thread for that.
I'm still developing algorithms for a randomizer but have decided to use them for a 2D mobile game or standalone thief-inspired comupter game in the future.
I might change my mind in the future but I wouldnt bet on it since having a team is a necessity.
I'll make sure to let you know when any result comes from the randomizer.

Thanks for your support and nice words!
Cheers, neux!

• Anderson likes this

#17 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Thanks to Springheel there will be a lot of building modules, that might make use of, in the next release. If you find an algorithm that sets the modules together in a sensible way it might enable you to create levels realtively easily. Since the modules are modeled, a sealing goemetry has to be added afterwards, but this should also be no too big problem.

• Anderson likes this

#18 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Aww - don't give up on us that fast! :(

• Anderson likes this

#19 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:01 AM

Tels never made progress at swift mazes neither since 2014.

Edited by Anderson, 09 January 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#20 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hm yes, you're right. Seems not to be an easy task...

#21 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hm yes, you're right. Seems not to be an easy task...

Yes, life comes up after programmers faster because they have to make ends meet and it's not easy for anybody.

Edited by Anderson, 09 January 2017 - 11:57 AM.

• SeriousToni likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users