The Dark Mod Forums

Doom reboot

Goldwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1cHfu1cso

They just released a very very small sneak peak at some in-game footage and we should get to see some proper gameplay next month at E3.. June14th at 7pm PT to be specific.

I guess the big question on everyones mind is The Dark Mod 2? :P

• Like 2

No this is the Doom reboot are you high?

What I said wasn't serious but The Dark Mod was originally a modification of the previous doom game so I was implying new doom game, new dark mod.

But yeah I was just joking :P

I've heard that the new Doom title is supposed to be nice and brutal akin to the Brutal Doom mod. If that's true, it'll probably be on my X-Mas list.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

They may be catching on to the Dark Souls wave. Hardcore hard is a thing these days.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Great, now you can rebuy the same game, again.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Will this be a reboot of Doom 1? Hope they add at least a couple of role play elements, i don't think they will move along well with a pure shooter like Doom 3 or something.

If by that you mean feats and skill progression tree I disagree. Roleplay elements are what ruined farcry 3 and dishonored for me.

Hope they add at least a couple of role play elements, i don't think they will move along well with a pure shooter like Doom 3 or something.

Why? These are pointless and can even take away from the game (by removing challenge bit by bit) in most games that add them just because. I want a pure shooter without that nonsense. They should rather bring back the nonlinear maps of the old games.

Shorttest trailer in the history of trailers, what was the point. And due to Bethesda's rescent track record I have mostly gone right of them.

It's a teaser trailer. A teaser for the trailer. That's common these days, no idea why.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Why? These are pointless and can even take away from the game (by removing challenge bit by bit) in most games that add them just because. I want a pure shooter without that nonsense. They should rather bring back the nonlinear maps of the old games.

Agreed, I just want a straight out doom style shooter similar to the older doom games. Obviously it wont be exactly the same but I think they could really make it something fun if they have done their research correctly and dont want to try to reinvent the genre or anything

Doom 3 was a cool game. What I would liked more:

*The intro part where the player explores the Mars installation before the demon incursion could have been a bit longer. The player should have something interesting to do and the plot should thicken exponentially just before the incursion. The player should have a sense of normal life on Mars before the hell breaks loose.

*Some basic stealth elements: like some of the monsters would be way too strong for the player to safely kill, thus favouring silenced (weak) weapons to take out weaker foes without waking up the strong monster. The game was very repetetiv: shoot everything dead immediately without much change of pace. All enemies required the same tactic: withdraw and shoot. If withdraw is not available, strafe shoot.

I cherish the moments in L4D2 for example, when you peek around a corner, realize there is a witch blocking the way and start making a quick plan how to get past it. You could shoot it but that is dangerous. With a good plan, you could avoid it, but that is risky and could backfire.

*Less linearity, more traveling decision making (will I attack the front door with RPGs or will I take the enviromentallly dangerous ventilation shaft?).

Games would benefit also more moral choices: save the corrupt UCA bureucrat and get evidence against UCA but let innocent secretary die or the other way around. Later the player could meet a consequence for their actions: "you let the bureucrat die, no access codes for you" or "you let the secretary die other survivors will refuse to help you."

That sort of stuff. Some plot spice, good atmosphere and interesting decision making (with consequences.) Those make a good game in my mind.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I also think, that character develpment is unnecessary in FPSs (and a game like Thief *loking at T4*). And although I also agree that character decisions with consequenses make games more interesting, I would not miss them in a game like Doom. The various way approach on the other hand, would be really nice.

BTW: If you are interested in a simple shooter (like UT) with no character progression (as is currently common in Battlefield etc.) you might want to take a look at the game "Toxikk". They explicitly advertise that they have no character development whatsoever. The gameplay is completely in the style of the old UT games, where you only rely on your own experience and knowledge of the maps.

If by that you mean feats and skill progression tree I disagree. Roleplay elements are what ruined farcry 3 and dishonored for me.

By roleplay elements i mean the ability to hold conversations, get quests, stuff like that, or extended abilities to manipulate the environment, like in Rage, just a bit extended. Don't mean skilltrees and likes. Sorry if that was unclear. Maybe i should have written "adventure like" elements, but then, that maybe could have interpreted as making Doom point and click. :D Pure shooters for me are yesterday and boring. Gotta admit though that i'm not exactly a shooter fan, but i very much enjoy stuff like Chronicles of Riddick, or in parts Wolfenstein New Order or Rage. But if you have a straight shooter like Doom 3 was, then most probably people will be asking for more these days, and righteously so.

Btw, have to strongly disagree on Dishonored. It was perfect for me. And i wouldn't have expected a straight shooter from the guy who was mainly involved in Deus Ex either, that would have been really disapointing.

Edited by chakkman

Do we know if this Doom reboot is what became of the troubled Doom4 project, or is that 2 promised and undelivered Doom projects now?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It's a teaser trailer. A teaser for the trailer. That's common these days, no idea why.

The attention span shortens every... oh look, shiny!

Edited by Tels
  • Like 2

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Do we know if this Doom reboot is what became of the troubled Doom4 project, or is that 2 promised and undelivered Doom projects now?

I always thought it was supposed to be Doom4 and they only changed the name as rebooting seems to be sooo cool these days.

Although Doom3 was a reboot already, or was it not? And what do you mean by the other undelivered Doom project?

I've been under the impression that Doom 4 has been in the works for a few years now, and suddenly a Doom reboot is announced. What I'm curious about, is whether or not the Doom reboot is what has become of Doom 4, or are Doom 4 and Doom reboot different projects, which would make 2 different Doom projects in the works, and has me wondering why they'd announce a Doom reboot if they haven't even delivered Doom 4 yet. Hence the suspicion that Doom reboot used to be Doom 4. Which Doom would they even be rebooting? Doom 1? 2? Final Doom? Doom 3? All of them into one new package?

Never played doom but it is not doom 3 already reboot (how popular lately this word is) of original doom? So if this is reboot than is it another reboot or reboot of a reboot? :o

And is remake any different than reboot? Or it is just another word so you can make reboot of a remake :D

My reaction while watching this: "wow! this is such a co-"

You got that far? Still, that revenant looks pretty good.

Never played doom but it is not doom 3 already reboot (how popular lately this word is) of original doom? So if this is reboot than is it another reboot or reboot of a reboot? :o

And is remake any different than reboot? Or it is just another word so you can make reboot of a remake :D

I got the feeling Doom 3 was a re-imagining. The OLD old Doom games were all action, Doom 3 (to me) felt like someone at iD said "You know what, with modern technology Doom could have been a really scary game... why don't we make a new Doom that is scary?"

(To me) a remake is you take an old game, and try to recreate it on modern technology, while a reboot, typically these days, means it gets all gritty, and the texture palette becomes muddy brown and gray. Oh, and Nolan North voices the main character.

As far as I know, remake is (as Xarg says) just the old game with pretty much the same gameplay but modern graphics (currently very popular are the ports from PS2/PS3 to PS4, these are all remakes in my eye). The reboot on the other hand takes the franchise, keeps some popular characters and then changes the story, appearance (like more gritty, that is actually really quite popular these days) and maybe even the gameplay. Anyways, you get a whole new story in a set universe (e.g. the new Star Trek movies have the same characters, but a completely different storyline).