Photo

Fan Mission: Ulysses 2: Protecting the Flock by Sotha (2015/05/28)

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: U2: Flock rating (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (2 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Excellent (17 votes [56.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.67%

5. Near Perfect (11 votes [36.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (1 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

3. Good (4 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

4. Excellent (18 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

5. Near Perfect (7 votes [23.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (2 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Excellent (22 votes [73.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

5. Near Perfect (6 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Cambridge Spy

Cambridge Spy

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:02 AM

As stated, the stealth score 0, all loot run of the level has been finished.

Hope it does your level justice, Sotha.

Here's my video, and I did find the hidden letter:

• Dragofer, RPGista and V-Man339 like this
"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

#52 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5425 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

As stated, the stealth score 0, all loot run of the level has been finished.

Hope it does your level justice, Sotha.

It certainly does! Thanks for sharing. You seem to have an impeccable eye for stuff. For example the way you took the loot from the card players. I never thought it might be possible without alerting them.

Very nice. Have you ever considered making an own FM? That would certainly be something new, given to your expertise as a player.

• V-Man339 likes this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#53 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:37 AM

It certainly does! Thanks for sharing. You seem to have an impeccable eye for stuff. For example the way you took the loot from the card players. I never thought it might be possible without alerting them.

Very nice. Have you ever considered making an own FM? That would certainly be something new, given to your expertise as a player.

I've never been much of an idea man, my specialty has always been fixing, adjusting, critiquing and analyzing what is.

I appreciate the compliment, though, and I'm always happy to give feedback if you need it.

If you have a Steam account or some such to be in contact with me, let me know, I'd be happy to toss anything I have your way, voice acting, level testing or otherwise.

Here's my video, and I did find the hidden letter:

Most impressive.

Great playthrough! You really are very good at this game. I've never finished a mission on 0 stealth yet. Nice video style by the way. No talking means the viewer gets to hear what you the player hears -- very important in TDM.

I'd not thought of using moss arrows like that, but it seems obvious now I've seen you do it. I've only ever used them to make quick dashes possible.

The one tip I can contribute is that you can drop bodies down the drains much more quietly by simply manoeuvring them into the hole instead of shouldering them -- not that you needed to given your good timing!

Thanks.

I have to say I wasn't expecting this much recognition. You guys didn't expect anyone to all loot stealth score 0 these missions?

Edited by V-Man339, 18 October 2015 - 02:13 AM.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#54 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5425 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for the offer. Calls for betatesters are usually given here on the forums. If you have a knack in voice acting and wish to help, it would be good to maybe post about it in the "I want to help" section with a sample of your voice acting. That way mappers.can check if the available voice actor fits the8r character

Regarding the stealth score question,
I never design my missions to be ghostable: there is no intentional path of darkness that takes the player safely through the mission. I always try to promote tool use and make circumstances were progress is possible but very risky without tool use, and relatively safe if tool is used.

This may be the reason why my missions are often perceived difficult: players are expecting to complete it on the hardest difficulty without KOing any AI and or using tools just they way they did in original thief games. But my expectation, as a mapper, is that they do what they must to complete the mission. It is avoiding actions where risk is high, and it may be completely possible that they must take out a guard, extinguish lights, make distractions, etc to make safe progress.
  • Dragofer likes this
Clipper

#55 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the offer. Calls for betatesters are usually given here on the forums. If you have a knack in voice acting and wish to help, it would be good to maybe post about it in the "I want to help" section with a sample of your voice acting. That way mappers.can check if the available voice actor fits the8r character

Regarding the stealth score question,
I never design my missions to be ghostable: there is no intentional path of darkness that takes the player safely through the mission. I always try to promote tool use and make circumstances were progress is possible but very risky without tool use, and relatively safe if tool is used.

This may be the reason why my missions are often perceived difficult: players are expecting to complete it on the hardest difficulty without KOing any AI and or using tools just they way they did in original thief games. But my expectation, as a mapper, is that they do what they must to complete the mission. It is avoiding actions where risk is high, and it may be completely possible that they must take out a guard, extinguish lights, make distractions, etc to make safe progress.

I have to say you budgeted the resources in the map incredibly close to being impossible if this was the case.

2 less water arrows, or 2 less moss and I would have found it exceptionally difficult, with far more backtracking.

Edited by V-Man339, 18 October 2015 - 11:52 AM.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#56 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5425 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

I have to say you budgeted the resources in the map incredibly close to being impossible if this was the case.

2 less water arrows, or 2 less moss and I would have found it exceptionally difficult, with far more backtracking.

Do note that difficulty selection affects starting gear, and AI can still be KOd in moderation even in the hardest difficulty, but sure: the hardest difficulty is supposed to be H A R D.

Clipper

#57 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Played it today. Very good mission overall, I liked it!

Con: It felt like everything happened a bit too quickly, and the action took place in a rather small area. There was a slight feeling that more could have been added.

Pro: The intro video and voice acting added a lot to the mission (wish there was an outro too). I loved the rescue objectives, and it's nice every once in a while to have to assassinate one of the bad guys too. Those beaked masks were also a pretty cool touch... if you're okay with that maybe they could get added to the default asset repository?

#58 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5425 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:08 AM

Glad you liked it.

The masks are already part of the core mod.
Clipper

#59 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

Awesome mission Sotha, you really outdid yourself with this one!! I liked the new story elements you brought in, hoping to see it all tied together in Ulysses 3 ^_^

I had a really fun and challenging play-through, with a few hickups

Spoiler

Anyway I loved the different gameplay elements that you have employed in this series of missions, really shows the potential of TDM!

#60 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5425 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

Glad you liked it!

Spoiler

Clipper

#61 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

<spoiler>In my case, I killed the leader by waiting for him to go into the room by the fire then shooting him with a fire arrow. I tried with the sword, but he was too well armored, it would always save him and alert him.</spoiler>

Also, one of the funniest parts is how none of the guards react to the player freeing the prisoners, which is obviously due to how hard it would be to code AI support for this. I would typically sneak past a guard enough to get close to the prisoner and untie them; The prisoner would get up and run all over the map, while the player yelled "run like hell father"... the guards do not move a muscle though, even when the escaping prisoner bumps into them. Gave me a good laugh, cuz it was still so illogical to see :laugh:

#62 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11413 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

Also, one of the funniest parts is how none of the guards react to the player freeing the prisoners, which is obviously due to how hard it would be to code AI support for this. I would typically sneak past a guard enough to get close to the prisoner and untie them; The prisoner would get up and run all over the map, while the player yelled "run like hell father"... the guards do not move a muscle though, even when the escaping prisoner bumps into them. Gave me a good laugh, cuz it was still so illogical to see :laugh:

Shouldn't be too difficult. Just put the prisoners on a team that's antagonistic to the guards.

#63 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5425 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:45 PM

The current setup was a deliberate choice. It would have increased the mission difficulty drastically if the guards would kill the fleeing prisoners. In effect, the player would have been required to kill/ko everybody, which is boring.
Clipper

#64 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

The current setup was a deliberate choice. It would have increased the mission difficulty drastically if the guards would kill the fleeing prisoners. In effect, the player would have been required to kill/ko everybody, which is boring.

Yep... figured that was part of it as well; You could initially have the prisoners and guards on the same team, then change team relations the moment the prisoner is freed... also use an alarm entity to alert everyone, now that I think about it. Indeed however, that would have been nearly impossible without asking the player to kill many guards around the map. So the illogical lack of self awareness guards show is understandable, when you think from the perspective of a mapper and not just of a player :)

#65 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

I don't think it is really that illogical.

Spoiler

Oh and thanks for the heads up on how elite guards work Sotha! :)

Edited by Bienie, 04 November 2015 - 03:14 PM.

#66 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:56 PM

Just replayed this on hardest and

Spoiler

• Melan likes this

#67 llanita

llanita

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Another great mission. I loved the architecture. I was hoping to see some more Automata, I thought they were amazing. Would love to see them in more missions. This mission had a part that I really enjoyed. I conked one of them out and the leader of the plague masks saw him even though we were in pitch black, he asked if he was alright, (like they usually do) but this time for the first time that I've seen, he knelt down by the body and touched him. That was cool

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

#68 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17614 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Played this last night and found it quite entertaining, gave it a good all rdound due to some visual bugs and excellent for story/gamplay.

#69 brethren

brethren

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

Played both Ulysses missions last night for the first time.  I don't know what took me so long, but both were excellent.  I really like this character and how they're different than our typical protagonist, but they still allow us to play in the classic Thief/TDM style.  And the dark side of me says, it was actually kind of fun to kill some evil people for a change.  Interesting mission layouts too, I really liked the escape scenario in the original, and then the infiltration in the 2nd.  Great stuff.

So Sotha, will we get any more Ulysses missions?   I'd really like to see more done with that character.

#70 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5425 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for playing, I am glad you liked them!

U3 is in the works and actually it is pretty long along the path, but I do not have time to work on it due to busy Real Life ™. Also I'm having a sort of artistic block with it as I feel I'm not bringing forth anything new. It is basically U2 in a new environment, which I suppose would suffice to many, but I really, really, really would like to put something EXTRA in it... but do not have the time.

Let's see. Hopefully, at some point, I have time to finalize it. Either quickly completed as-is.. Or with the EXTRA's.

• Goldwell, Anderson and V-Man339 like this
Clipper

#71 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1958 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

@ V-Man339

Tried following your playthrough and just got spotted at the start

What do you have the difficulty level set at - mine is Hardcore/Hardcore