Photo

No Honor Among Thieves by Goldchocobo, 3.0 update by bikerdude (2015/05/30)

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18924 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

This puzzle was part of the map from the very first version, but maybe I will import the triggered glowing eyes from the gatehouse missing to make it more abvious.

#52 Araneidae

Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

I think I had two problems with this puzzle.  Hmm, guess I'd better put the whole thing under a spoiler cover

Spoiler

It's an old puzzle from an old mission, so I guess my grumbles have little significance.

Is the Forest the last part of the campaign?  It seems to end somewhat suddenly with a bit of a dangling loose end --

Spoiler

Can you explain how the text is meant to guide the player to solve the puzzle?  That's an even bigger mystery to me!

Edited by Araneidae, 24 July 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#53 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18924 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:50 AM

Goldchocobo will have to answer the last 2 questions.

#54 Netos

Netos

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

Yes, I am curious about those 2 questions, too.
@Araneidae: I didn't understand how the security system worked, so I jumped in quickly, grabbed the goblet, and used a health potion to heal the damage.

#55 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:44 AM

Can you explain how the text is meant to guide the player to solve the puzzle?  That's an even bigger mystery to me!

Yes, I am curious about those 2 questions, too.
@Araneidae: I didn't understand how the security system worked, so I jumped in quickly, grabbed the goblet, and used a health potion to heal the damage.

I'm confused as well on this topic.
Running 3 hours across the mansion and re-reading everything for clues.

The mission is great but the level of how cryptic this is Myst-like.

Edited by Anderson, 01 August 2015 - 04:45 AM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#56 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18924 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

There is a readable on the floor as you enter that explains what you need to do.

#57 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

Finished it tonight.

Only words of prasie for everyone involved in the creation of this mission.
By now, after 5 years since the mission's inception its seems more standardized and on par with some other great FM's hear. The campaign format adds an additional layer of narrative bliss. This was a real pleasure to go through.

The only things is that I felt that the story left things a little in the air. But mystery is an indispensable part of Thief & TDM!

Just a few things I would underline to be hinted somehow on the last mission:

Spoiler

Edited by Anderson, 11 August 2015 - 02:57 AM.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

#58 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

Araneidae,

Originally I had planned NHAT to be a 5 mission campaign. Unforunately, after having children, building 2 businesses, and life in general happened, I found myself needing to sacrifice at least one hobby :(.

Of course, that didn't stop me from suddenly jumping back into the mix 3 years later to work on The Gatehouse with Bikerdude, but that's the story.

I do have a script kicking around my brain for the complete NHAT story, however.

Is the Forest the last part of the campaign?  It seems to end somewhat suddenly with a bit of a dangling loose end --

Spoiler

#59 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Anderson!!! It tickles me pink to see people still enjoying NHAT 6 years after it's inception.

Finished it tonight.

Only words of prasie for everyone involved in the creation of this mission.
By now, after 5 years since the mission's inception is seems more standardized and on par with some other great FM's hear. The campaign format adds an additional layer of narrative bliss. This was a real pleasure to go through.

The only things is that I felt that the story left things a little in the air. But mystery is an indispensable part of Thief & TDM!

Just a few things I would underline to be hinted somehow on the last mission:

Spoiler

#60 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18924 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:24 AM

I do have a script kicking around my brain for the complete NHAT story, however.

Should you want to move forward with that, just let me know. :-)

#61 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

Should you want to move forward with that, just let me know. :-)

I would love to, as unlikely as it is.

#62 Cambridge Spy

Cambridge Spy

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Originally I had planned NHAT to be a 5 mission campaign.

No wonder the campaign seemed rather incomplete, like we don't know the fate of the Archbishop after NHAT finishes.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

#63 Silverd

Silverd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

Solid campaign, very well-designed environment and you can feel the work attached to it. Some elements might be a bit confusing through, but nevertheless well done! The ending is quite abrupt, as some people above already mentioned!

Spoiler

Edited by Silverd, 22 August 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#64 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

WOW. I haven't played every FM out there for DM but this is my favourite so far. It just gelled with me. Amazing campaign.

Some critical feedback:

• Maybe consider allowing the shop between levels and to use gold which has been looted? Just seems like a no-brainer for a campaign?
  • This guy got stuck, made my life easier. Bonk.

https://dl.dropboxus...01_05.21.01.jpg

• Another, with save.

https://dl.dropboxus...01_21.23.37.jpg

https://dl.dropboxus...NPC_stuck_2.zip

• Is that an old version of the theme I hear at the menu?
  • The map uses door hardware (doorknob) to show doors which aren't meant to be opened ever. But there are some doors in some maps (like the back of the estate in Forest) that are inconsistent with this.
  • I thought the game was supposed to stop things if they collide?

https://dl.dropboxus...01_20.59.32.jpg

https://dl.dropboxus...01_21.03.47.jpg

• Is it the FM's fault that I have to load the entire previous map just to continue the campaign if I forgot to save at the start of the next map? Never played a campaign before in DM and this just seems very inefficient of autosaving between missions.

I hope one day we get the whole thing! :)

#65 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8132 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

To confirm, you have TDM 2.03 installed right?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#66 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:45 PM

To confirm, you have TDM 2.03 installed right?

Yes.

#67 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4393 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

I finally played the updated campaign. Solid work all around, but

This is a bit about me being a stick in the mud, especially with such a wonderful update, but I am sorry that all the wild flowers were removed from this version. They gave a wonderful character to the original NHAT, a look that was more Grimm than grim (fairy tale vs. gritty realism), and which looked wonderful as they swayed in the wind. That is a big loss. With such outstanding visual work through the mission pack as the updated caves in mission 1, the sewers and smugglers' cove in mission 2, and the little touches in mission 3, and the refined gameplay throughout, it is disappointing they of all things were cut.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#68 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18924 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

They must have been culled ina much earlier version, remind me before 2.04 come out to import all the flowers from version 1.0 into 3.0.

#69 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

The flowers caused huge FPS drops :(

#70 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8132 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, I recall that those flowers were animated. Perhaps static flowers with a SEED entity to reduce the impact there.

#71 Goldchocobo

Goldchocobo

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

I simply had pendulem entities making the flowers sway, hinging from the bottom.

#72 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8132 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

The problem there is that every vertex in each flower needs to be translated to it's new position by the CPU for every move of that pendulum.

Arcturus did something similar with his grass demo so I guess it's not too bad but it depends on the number of polys in the source model. (and shadow casting is definitely out of the question).

Maybe a simpler flower model ? (hard to say how much simpler you can go there though).

GPU Skinning is on the engine roadmap so maybe someday this wont be as much of a concern...

#73 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18924 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

If I were to put them back I think I would use a shaderParm value instead...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users