8 replies to this topic

#1 c0mputer-fr0d

c0mputer-fr0d

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:24 AM

POPULAR

http://www44.zippysh...DlKN8/file.html

if someone wants to use this in a mission let me know I'll make an actual thing out of it. Also if anyone actually likes this I will happy to do a full mission's worth of sounds and music but I would have to play a close to finished version of the map, or at least work with you during the map making process that would be cool too.

• Bikerdude, jaxa, Goldwell and 2 others like this

#2 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2197 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:14 AM

Sounds quiet nice, but a bit too short to really feel it.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#3 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

I dunno... Hearing that on repeat would be unpleasant after two cycles or more.

I am incapable of producing any music, so I really don't know what I am talking about... But! Some ambients are timeless. Like the piano ambient (mansion_piano02a) in TDM. It gives the atmoshphere, but it doesn't get old if you listen to it for a long while. I guess the secret is the rather long delays between the identifiable instrumental sections.

Reverse engineering how mansion_piano02a has been put together and incorporating your sample using the same recipe... The end result would work like this:

1) ambient hum, like an air conditioning or drafty halls. Could be low steady level wind.

2) out from the ambient hum, section 00:00 - 00:05 of your sample fades in. "...Dingggg Donggg..." Then fades back into the ambient hum.

3) ambient hum drones on for some moments.

4) out from the ambient hum comes 00:05-00:15 of your sample, again it fades back into the ambient hum.

5) and so forth.

That would give the location some spooky, ethereal feel. Would probably not suit a mansion, but maybe a magically distorted cave complex filled with undead.

• Anderson likes this
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#4 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

Sounds quiet nice, but a bit too short to really feel it.

It's a sample, and I think it sounds pretty good even if the volume is a little aggressive in the end.

Heck, make enough dope loops like this and they could be assembled in Audacity pretty easily to create a finished result (see "snd.crf/SFX" in your Thief 2 installation for more details).

Check these out (ordered by filesize):

Spoiler

Edited by jaxa, 19 June 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18941 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

If it was reduced in volume and another/more ambients added, it would work then I imagine. Kinda like how our existing ambients work.

#6 c0mputer-fr0d

c0mputer-fr0d

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

Alright I'll keep trying I got tons of stuff to try out it was only a really small demo. I guess it was kinda loud at the end it because it was a chord being played I will automate the volume on that part if I use it.

Edited by c0mputer-fr0d, 19 June 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#7 c0mputer-fr0d

c0mputer-fr0d

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:02 PM

Any fm makers interested in working on a map together I can do some sound and come up with level design ideas. I would just love to be part of the map making process in someway. I remade the thing with cool layers on it now check it out

http://www60.zippysh...q78Hl/file.html

Edited by c0mputer-fr0d, 19 June 2015 - 07:36 PM.

• jaxa and Anderson like this

#8 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

Nice. There's something weird going on around 0:32-0:33, but I understand that it's just an example and not a finished piece.

#9 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18941 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:59 AM

ah thats better, gives me the impression we are in a forest somewhere..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users