The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex: Revision

lowenz

All of this lead us to feel extremely cautious- we want to ensure that when we release, there are no potential land mines waiting for us. So we approached Square Enix with the intent of making sure that everything we had planned was going to be fine. They’ve been very helpful and supportive

Let's hope that is really true, and that it'll be released soon. Good stuff. Note he big "Revision", and www.dx-revision.com btw. No "Deus Ex" at all.

Edited by chakkman

• 4 weeks later...

Hm, interesting news update:

July 9 Update

A few of you have been expressing concerns that Revision is related to Mankind Divided or will be a paid-for release. Neither of these things is the case- we have no involvement in the promotion of Mankind Divided, and have never considered making Revision a commercial product. We are not providing precise release dates for a pretty straightforward reason: We’re holding some confidential talks with Square Enix to make sure everything is okay, and to make something cool happen, something that we aren’t talking about yet, because it’s not finalized yet. We’ve been having a series of back-and-forths to make sure that everybody on our team is happy. There are no real problems, just technicalities that have needed to be ironed out. At this point (July 9), we’re expecting these things to be wrapped up shortly.
Everything is pretty much OK, and we’re in a position where we have to talk to some people to make some things happen, and the timeline for making those things happen should be pretty fast, but is partially out of our control. All we ask of you is to please be patient.

Almost sounds to me as if they're incorporating with Square Enix now, and plan to release DX-Revision on Steam or something. Like semi-official. Especially the "Time line partially out of our control" thing hints to something like that. Whatever it is, i hope they release soon. Really curious about it.

Nothing wrong with not playing the first Deus Ex games. They aren't that amazing in my opinion.

I don't know if I'm living in a paralel world but playing it today if you never tried it 14 years ago won't make any wonders to your perception of RPG's or video games. It's more like a milestone of history in what RPG's achieved.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

It's true that the age shows a bit, graphics or gameplay wise. But i just love the atmosphere of it. Deus Ex: HR is different in that regard, but pretty good too. Guess you'll have to put it in perspective, at the time it was released (i played it years later) it probably was more than amazing.

Btw, i'd have been much happier with the Revision if they did it in another, more modern engine. Would have been more work, yes, but i would guess it's already been a lot of work to do the Revision, and modify the existing engine. Why not just use the Source engine, or something else, to create it.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

It's true that the age shows a bit, graphics or gameplay wise. But i just love the atmosphere of it. Deus Ex: HR is different in that regard, but pretty good too. Guess you'll have to put it in perspective, at the time it was released (i played it years later) it probably was more than amazing.

Btw, i'd have been much happier with the Revision if they did it in another, more modern engine. Would have been more work, yes, but i would guess it's already been a lot of work to do the Revision, and modify the existing engine. Why not just use the Source engine, or something else, to create it.

With that I think it would also be fair to mention that Invisible War's atmosphere was great in it's own way too. It's not the energetic 90's music style.

It leans more towards the neo-futuristic style of Halo and Mass Effect. Strongly recommend the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkg7lQS2kOc&index=21

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Yeah, atmosphere wise it was definitely good. But meh... i get claustrophobia in those levels...

I thought that the modified Uneal 2 engine they used both for Invisible War and Deadly Shadows offered well designed levels and lightning effects for the time. There is something really cool about it.

That is, if you don't mind playing Deus Ex like Quake 3 B)

badge?user=andarson

It' Unreal WARFARE, not Unreal Engine 2 :D

Unreal Engine 1.5 + shaders.

Unreal Warfare is a modification of Unreal Engine 2 as far as I know. Unreal Engine 1 is the engine on which Deus Ex 1 was made. It does not allow ragdolls or proper physics simulation by definition.

Hence those unflexible legs in Deus Ex 1 ;)

badge?user=andarson

If you take a look to ini files of DXIW and TDS you'll see a mix of entries of Unreal Engine 1 and Unreal Engine 2

Unreal Engine 2 -> Unreal 2 / UT 2003-3004

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Nothing wrong with not playing the first Deus Ex games. They aren't that amazing in my opinion.

I agree with that! They were vastly overhyped because they were the first FPS/RPG hybrids to include a multi-way approach to some poblems, but in a very artificial way. There are other old games that managed to do that much better, like my own favorite Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines! Sadly a project to port that to Unity 5 was stopped by the rights holder CCP with a cease and desist letter. Which probably is the reason why Deux Ex: Revision needs to stay with the original engine and thus in modding territory...

Edited by wesp5

they were the first FPS/RPG hybrids to include a multi-way approach to some poblems, but in a very artificial way.

It felt much more natural then Human Revolution with it's conveniently placed waist-hight covers. And it didn't feel like the game was holding player's hand. There are no cinematic take-downs or similar nonsense. Mele combat was in real time and stealth was shadow based. The amount of detail in this game still blows my mind. Years later I still discover new things about it:

Or the fact that bots can get out of ammo:

https://youtu.be/lXu23oD40gU?t=2m42s

The scene on the air plane

is still my favourite moment in any game, when on my first play through I decided to mess with the game and to my surprise discovered that developers foreseen it.

• Like 3

It's only a model...

It felt much more natural then Human Revolution with it's conveniently placed waist-hight covers.

Yeah, cover systems suck in my opinion. But what I meant was that too many locations were obviously build to make multiple access ways possible and thus looked completely unrealistic. This is still a burden of all new Deus Ex games: always a vent in place where you need it ;)!

Well, if the alternative paths wouldn't be at least a bit obvious nobody would find them...

It's not about finding them, but rather constructing the whole building around them! I remember some generator building or similar in Deus Ex which made no sense at all, except for providing as many entrance points as possible! Also in the modern successors, the vents are placed just a little bit too convenient for my taste...

Edited by wesp5

I never even noticed tbh. Maybe people who design games, or create maps have more sense for that. But then, a game doesn't have to be 100% realistic for me, but primarily play- and enjoyable. If i want realism, i go outside and observe the world. And even then at least half of the things i see won't make sense. ;)

Its funny you know...

I installed System Shock 2 (which if you ask me is Deus Ex's counter part from that era (two of the greatest games of all time) with all the mods/packs/updates, etc., on my niece and nephews PC because they recently spent a week over here and I wanted my nephew to play through it and get an understanding for how games "used" to be.

He played it for about a couple hours and throughout said things like, "what do I do?", "how do I do this?", "how do I do that?", "it's too hard"... constantly constantly and I honestly couldn't believe it.

The attitude kids have today and the skillset for problemsolving just doesn't seem like its there anymore. Like its been bread out of them by corporations that want mindless automaton smartphone using employees that say yes boss and do what they're told and push the buttons but don't know why (queue Deus Ex ominous music score). He's a "straight A's" student too, active in sports, constantly playing "Clash of Clans" (kill me now). It was pretty disappointing honestly that he couldn't even get in to it.

I guess it sucks when you get wounded and your health doesn't regenerate...