The Dark Mod Forums

Gas light entities not extinguishable?

Springheel

I don't know who organized the light entities into the current categories, but I wonder if anyone can explain the logic in having atdm:lamp_wall_gaslight_03_lit not extinguishable? It has no visible flame and cannot be put out by water arrows. It is listed in the "switchable/gas" folder in DR.

It appears that none of the three lights listed under switchable/gas have visible flames nor can they be extinguished by water arrows. This is clearly an oversight...obviously gas lights need a flame to actually give off light.

I'd like to move these entities somewhere else (even though they'll still have "gaslight" in the name--can't change that), and make new gas entities that have an actual flame. Moving them in DR won't affect any maps. Just wanted to check and see if anyone knew of a good reason why they're set up the way they are.

post-9-0-22457500-1436107687_thumb.jpg

They should certainly be extinguishable. To be completely realistic, they'd be extinguishable and not relightable, but that might be going too far for existing maps. Gas lights like that have a cloth mantle that spreads the gas and provides the surface where the combustion takes place. After they've been lit, that cloth mantle becomes a delicate structure of ash that'll keep its shape for weeks as long as it's not touched. But if it's touched, even by a human breath let alone a drop of water, it crumbles to dust and needs to be replaced before you can relight the lamp.

My childhood holidays were spent in a succession of cottages in the middle of nowhere that had no electricity and so were lit by those things, fed from butane or propane canisters outside the premises. I couldn't resist experimenting at that age and often got blamed for broken mantles.

I don't know why they were set up as they are.

There's no AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_GAS. Only TORCH and ELECTRIC. (Why? I don't know.)

Gas lights are somewhere between TORCH and ELECTRIC. They have a flame (TORCH) and they can be turned off/on with a wall switch (ELECTRIC). Our gas lights are treated as ELECTRIC for the purposes of relighting and dousing.

If you change things around, we might have to create AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_GAS to expose the uniqueness of gas lights, and I would need to revisit the relighting code to see if changes are needed.

I've had candles that could be pinched out and also turned on and off with a switch. The only hitch was that the on/off switch just changed the current state of the light. Pulling down on the lever turns the light on if it's already off, and off if it's already on.

I guess that's something for the relight code to consider. I'm not familiar with candles that can be toggled by a switch. Do you have one you can point me to?

They all can nowadays. Obs added a stim response to the script that responds to activation and calls the Toggle function in the script.

I set one up when I was testing the new smoke particle by just targeting a candle with a switch.

It wasn't a real case, it was just for testing. I'm not sure what the practical application would be, except that it shows that gas lights (switchable AND extinguishable) are already possible.

I'm afraid I don't understand a switch on a candle.

In real life, how would it work? A little mechanical cap comes out of a compartment and snuffs out the flame?

The aim was to give mappers the option of controlling flame based lights without having to use scripts. It doesn't have to be a literal switch that they use: it could be any kind of trigger.