• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hi!

I am new here. I want to help with modeling. I would like to model a statue. When it's ok, I would like to model something like this or this.

I use Blender and have already some experience with modeling. If you are interested, here are my prvious working examples: myportfolio

nice greetings

• chakkman and Anderson like this

#2 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hello janexx, and welcome! Awesome to hear you want to contribute to TDM. Took a look at your work, amazing stuff! Loved the sensibility and calm beauty of each scene. Im sure people here will go crazy with those cityscapes, that interior, foggy shot - I quite liked the Fox-thief, and that moving-city robot, that one is pretty fantastic.

I have done some modelling here and the places which helped me the most to get a picture of how to start were the wiki, for reference (http://wiki.thedarkm...?title=Modeling) and Katsbits, for modeling for games, http://www.katsbits....ender_tutorials .

The statues you linked look very good, and starting with "static models" like that would be the best, so you can work on the mesh and getting it in game eventually, without having to worry with other complex stuff like animation.

There are a number of steps you would need to take as you get further with your model, like shadow and collision meshes, and how to set up materials using your own textures (if you choose to use new ones not found in the game), but those are nothing complicated as you'll see and there are a number of people here that would be happy to help once you get there.

In the meantime, that are a lot of great missions around here and I suggest playing a few of them if you havent already, some great fun to be had. ;)

Edited by RPGista, 11 July 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#3 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thank you ver much for your very kind feedback! I feel flattered. :rolleyes:
Yes, I read already about shadow and collision meshes on your wiki page. And where are all the files stored / where will I put my model? I noticed the wiki page "Model Folder Structure", but where is this folder structure?

I already played some darkmod missions. It's really cool. Can't wait to see models of me in a mission. :P

• Anderson likes this

#4 Gestas

Gestas

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

you have to unzip the contents to get the folders.

Or you can look in model viewer in Dark Radiant and it will show the folders.

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18454 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:13 PM

Evening Janex, I imagine Springheel will be along at some point.

But in the meantime what modeling software do you use, and more importatnly what model formates can you export/save to..? I ask because we like to use .LWO and .ASE

#6 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, its been a while... Im linking a model I made, a warhammer. In it, you can see how the files that make up a "game model" are sorted, in terms of folder structure. Its gonna contain things you dont need to know right now, like def and material files (the first is to set up the entity, if its moveable or not, etc, the second to set up textures and how they work in game, if its wood, or metal, etc). Basicly, I've always submitted models in this manner, because this is how TDM works, in a kind of add-on system - a map is a series of files that will get temporarily unpacked on the game's own folders, they also have to be organized in this manner, just as a new sound, a texture, or a model will also have to be in their own default folder structure so the game will be able to locate and read them.

As you work, you dont need to worry about this set up at all. Apart from keeping material and texture names game friendly (like lower case, words separated by _ instead of spaces, things like that, I seem to remember blender's ase exporter being specially picky regarding names), all of this will only really matter when its time to pack up the finished model's file and textures and set up the other TDM related things.

The warhammer: https://www.sendspace.com/file/n1nqek

Edited by RPGista, 11 July 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#7 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

Nice work there! I hope you can use your talent to enhance the TDM experience for the players! It's really easy if you got the workflow once. I even made some simple models for my first map and imported them to TDM with no experience before. So I'm sure you can do it too! :)

• Anderson likes this
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#8 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

Ok, I found in my local files the zip with the models. But how do you share files? Do you use something like svn, git...? Sorry, but what is Springheel and Dark Radiant? Do I have do install doom3 engine?

As I said, I use Blender. I can not open or export .lWO or .ASE files, but I saw in the wiki that there were linked some pages where should be scripts for that. I will see.

Thanks for the warhammer example. Thanks @SeriousToni, I hope so!

Edited by janexx, 12 July 2015 - 05:19 AM.

• Anderson likes this

#9 Gestas

Gestas

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

Dark Radiant is the editor, it is on the downloads page.

You'll need it to test models in game anyway.

Springheel is the TDM art guy.

#10 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

You'll want to test the model ingame before releasing it, not only to see if its actually working ok, but also to judge proportions and how the texture, normal and speculars are looking. Luckily this is really simple to do, as the editor Darkradiant is easy to use and all you need is a box room, a couple of lights, a player start, your model, and you can already play that in game.

Edited by RPGista, 12 July 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#11 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36238 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

Large statues can be up to 10000 polys as long as you can include a shadowmesh of around 1000 polys, though it's better to keep it lower than that if you can. If you want something like the reference pictures you posted, you'll probably need to start with a high poly version to create a normalmap from.

#12 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

you'll probably need to start with a high poly version to create a normalmap from.

yes, that's my plan

Ok, thaks for now! But I still don't know where to put my finished models/files later. Is there a place where you host your TDM-files?

• Anderson likes this

#13 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

The team uses a SVN while others simply post links to filesharing sites. Most use zippyshare - personally I use Dropbox because I think it has a clean interface, has folders and holds on to files a long time.

• Anderson likes this

#14 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

POPULAR

Hi,

My model, the statue is finished:

http://wwws.htwk-lei...lio.html#slide1

It has 9091 faces. Any annotations/criticism is welcome.

Now I would like to check the grid size in DarkRadiant. But I can't compile DR. See my post here. :mellow:

• Bikerdude, HMart, RPGista and 3 others like this

#15 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36238 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

Lovely!  Is there mesh beneath that cloth wrap?  If so, it would allow for the possibility of making it visible or invisible using skins.  Not a big deal if it doesn't, but it will look a little repetitive if every statue has cloth wrapped around it in exactly the same way (though come to think of it, an alternate skin could colour the wrap with the same stone texture so it looks like part of the statue).

I can't help with the Linux issues, but if you want to send me the files I could put them in TDM so you can check the size.

#16 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Absolutely amazing! Love the face, the body proportions... Feels very natural, but still like something sculpted. 

#17 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks! I modelled the statue and then the cloth above, so there is a mesh beneath that cloth wrap. I can make them seperate. And I am not yet completely finished, I still have to bake the textures.

About the cloth: This Rendering was for a contest. I made the model again completely with stone material:

thumb_6436306darkmod_statue.png

I thought that would be better for the game.

Ok, how should I send you a file? And is .blend file ok or what file format shoud I use?

Edited by janexx, 31 October 2015 - 11:48 AM.

• Springheel, RPGista and Anderson like this

#18 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18454 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

@Jane, Springheels 3D file format of choice is .LWO, but if you can't export to that then we can use .ASE.

#19 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 36238 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

Pm me and I'll send you the particulars.

#20 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

Need help!! I tried to export my model from Blender to an ase-file. But the ASE-export didn't work. I found a script. But it throws an error. Can anyone please export my model to ASE or LWO?

Or has anyone a good python script for exporting from blender? I use Blender 2.76. You can send me a PN.

• Anderson likes this

#21 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

How's this?

Spoiler

It has an 'id Tech compatible' export option.

• Anderson and janexx like this

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#22 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:45 AM

I can do it for you! I will also upload later today a program I use to convert to ase, so you only need to export an obj from blender.

#23 janexx

janexx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

@VanishedOne Thanks for the script! It seems to work! ^_^ RPGista, if you want, you can send me your program nonetheless. Thanks for your commitment. 

• Anderson likes this

#24 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

Cool, you got it working. If by any chance you need it, there's an Assimp viewer program that Serpentine was working on that does export to ASE. I use it all the time, specially because then I dont need to worry about my blender's version.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/l3ebz9

You will also need direct june 2010 redist.

#25 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

PS: this is the version that works. For some reason, I cant get the last version to work for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, modeling, artist, 3d, statue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users