The Dark Mod Forums

Understanding "Combat"

The Black Arrow

So, I'm actually trying to figure out just how the combat system works in TDM.

From what I can see, it actually looks great, but I tend to be very bad at it (yet people think I'm good in PVKII, Condemned and Chivalry, just not an expert). It seems to work just like the Doom 3 fists; Sometimes you know you hit him because the hands pretty much "passed through", but you just didn't.

So...The hit detection is actually terrible?

I have noticed that each part has its own damage, for example, hitting the head will deal more damage than hitting the arm, while hitting the torso deals more damage than hitting a leg.

The shortsword, as I said before, acts like a "stabber". You can swing, left or right, but there's a chance you might not hit or hit the wrong "part", so the stabbing itself and the overhead is actually better than that.

Now, whenever I attack and hit a human, there's a blood mark, this helps a lot knowing where I really hit him, since I'm aiming at the head and apparently I hit his chest. But one big problem is when I fight the rest, especially undead.

I try killing a Haunt (Yep, I'm that stupidly reckless. By the way, that's his name?) and when I stab his chest, I think I stabbed his...Arm, butt or even head, but I'm not too sure. tdm_show_health, 220 to 210. Undeath are harder to kill than humans, but still...

A zombie at 160 HP, I hit him, I think I hit his torso, and he loses 40, reaching 120. I don't get it, did I really hit the torso or I hit his head?

I know this is a stealth game and combat is not something that should be focused a lot, but is there no way to improve it or learn it better? Also, I play it at a normal difficulting.

Another thing; If I remember right, the "attack moves" are mouse-dependant and not move-dependant or button-dependant. That means that if you aim up, you'll do stab, if you aim down, overhead (Or the other way). Same with the swings, you aim left or right. Nothing to complain, except, can we get an optional "marker"? If you guys ever played PVKII with the attack moves being Mouse-oriented, you'll understand what I mean. A small circle appears when you're about to attack, and then a dot is in the centre, you'll have to move it left, right, up or down. It's very fast so you don't have to really look up.

Actually, hit detection is pretty accurate in TDM, when you get used to the "hit box" dynamics of each sword strike, you'll be able to hit those openings in the armor for a quick(er) take down.

As for how combat works, I suggest you go into the melee training part of the tutorial mission, I think it comes with TDM. There, you'll get instructions and graudually more difficult opponents with which to practise.Thats actually how I got to learn myself, doing the drills a few times.

You can set blocking on auto so it will always block in the right direction when you hit the button, that should be a huge help while you get used to the mechanics.

Afaik Undead are immune to your sword attacks, the only way to kill them is using fire arrows and holy water flasks, imo is better to avoid fighting them. Btw the fighting mechanics of TDM are very similar to mount&Blade that means you can lead your strikes with your mouse movements.

Fire arrows are best, but are still not guaranteed to kill in one hit...I guess use the Aim-Center-Mass philosophy as often as possible. A skeleton took about 3 swings with a sword. Holy-Water arrows took 3 hits on a zombie to down it. Again not always sure if I-hit-center-mass or not.