The Dark Mod Forums

Ralle321's Stuff

Ralle321

Wow they look really good! Especially the stone wall and floor is very nice. The wood is a bit too shiny for my taste, I would desaturate the normal / specular map a bit.

Can you do more of them? :)

Also your nickname is really funny :laugh:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Here i want to share my Textures and hopefully you find them useful.

While the texture work is clean and the normal are good, they looks hand created and animation-like. Nearly all of the texture we have in the mod are photo-realistic, so moving forward if you could produce like that it would be more likely toi make it into the mod.

Springheel and Melan are our resident texture experts and they are the ones to speak to in this regard.

Well, it is not strict photorealism we are shooting for. The bigger issue is that we have an abundance of basic stonework and wood planks, so we are only adding new textures to these areas if they offer something new. These textures are good, but they all have very similar counterparts in TDM, like rough_blocks_rounded_dark (although it is a bit darker) and tight_large_blocks. However, I must say the normals and specular are very well done.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I like both the stone textures a lot. The wood has conflicts though. Reason being, the normal map presents lots of ripples and waves in the wood as if its "rough sawn" however the gloss is medium high as if the floor is polished smooth to some extent. If there are visible waves casting shadow in the wood surface, the surfaces should not reflect light at all. If the surface is upscale and polished to where it reflects light in the least, there will not be any ripples to cast shadow.

The only real exception to this is when you have a rough sawn floor that is well traveled and naturally polished by the foot traffic upon it. In this case though, the floor will have smooth pathways worn in to it and not be uniformly reflective.

Good stuff though.

Thanks for the Feedback everyone.

@Bikerdude: I'm trying to achieve realistic results and will keep on practicing, though i don't mind too much, if it looks good ingame.

@Melan: I see. Are there any specific textures in need for, or where more diversity is needed?

@Lux: Regarding the wood, take a look at one of my reference pictures: http://www.oldewoodltd.com/uploads/trad-walnut-flooring-2.jpg

It has the characteristics, which i tried to replicate and i don't see any problems with the result.

Edited by Ralle321

The bigger issue is that we have an abundance of basic stonework and wood planks, so we are only adding new textures to these areas if they offer something new.

Is this really a reason not to add these fine works to the core mod? I mean, I understand the goal of making a broader variety of textures, but even slightly different ones will give the mappers the possibility to create new, different rooms, IHMO.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

We can't just keep adding new textures ad nauseum. New textures either need to fill a specific need or be so exceptional that they can't be refused. There's nothing stopping mappers from using them to create a different look though.

We can't just keep adding new textures ad nauseum. New textures either need to fill a specific need or be so exceptional that they can't be refused. There's nothing stopping mappers from using them to create a different look though.

I would like to add that there a boat load of existing textures are old & blurry, have flat looking normals, etc, etc and could do with being updated. Currently Necrobob is doing just that but on a limited scale.

@Melan: I see. Are there any specific textures in need for, or where more diversity is needed?

• Detailed metal textures for machinery and other mechanical parts would be particularly welcome.
  • We can use sculpted stone textures and carved wood for decoration.
  • More dirt decals - or in fact other kinds of decals, like drain covers - would be great.
  • And I think we are really missing good textures for ruined environments - rotting wood, crumbling, mossy or vegetation-covered stonework, broken and dark windows, that kind of thing. They aren't easy to find source images for, or build from scratch.
  • Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I would like to add that there a boat load of existing textures are old & blurry, have flat looking normals, etc, etc and could do with being updated. Currently Necrobob is doing just that but on a limited scale.

On that note I agree it would be good if some of the old/bad textures just be weeded out and replaced with a lineup of new and improved set. That would definitely be a task to perform though.

• Detailed metal textures for machinery and other mechanical parts would be particularly welcome.
  • More dirt decals - or in fact other kinds of decals, like drain covers - would be great.
  • And I think we are really missing good textures for ruined environments - rotting wood, crumbling, mossy or vegetation-covered stonework, broken and dark windows, that kind of thing. They aren't easy to find source images for, or build from scratch.

Going from scratch I'd say is the best honestly. Get some photolayering for less organic stuff, but it's tons better since as you said source images don't really do justice a lot of the time.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

On that note I agree it would be good if some of the old/bad textures just be weeded out and replaced with a lineup of new and improved set. That would definitely be a task to perform though.

The replacements need a reasonably similar look, though. The last TDM update replaced a texture with one using completely different decoration. The new one is nice, but I'd meticulously built a corridor around the look of the old design (meticulously in terms of brushwork, not just aesthetics). Luckily someone had a copy of the old texture and saved me the trouble of redownloading the previous version of the mod. Even more luckily, my map was/is still unreleased.

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Thanks for the list. I'll see what i can do.

You can simulate AO by adding a "blend filter" stage to the material shader. Have it point to a separate black and white image that contains the fading ao.

The texture looks nice, though could benefit from some signs of wear and dirt. I'd recommend a different symbol in the middle--maybe something like an anvil or something else related to metalsmithing rather than gears.

The texture looks nice, though could benefit from some signs of wear and dirt. I'd recommend a different symbol in the middle--maybe something like an anvil or something else related to metalsmithing rather than gears.

Once Ralle does that, I think its more than worthy of being part of the core mod...?

@Ralle, that pavement stone is looking good - if you could give some signs of wear & dirt build it might be useable in a project we are working on.

Alright, drain cover v2 is up:

https://mega.co.nz/#!kBhk0Bia!ICS2AK6SFk4wDASqVseCvUm5LAaSFqwPaN80uU_zQPU

Now with new anvil and hammer symbols, pebbles, scratches(a bit subtle though) and some dirt variations(more evident when watching diffuse only).

z7nhjzt3.jpg

@Springheel: I could get that ao-map working, but not with translucent results behind the outer ring, so i left that out.

@Bikerdude: Sure, i can give it a shot.

Edited by Ralle321
  • Like 4