The Dark Mod Forums

Ralle321's Stuff

Ralle321

That's superb work, Ralle321! I really like the fine details you put into it. :cool:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thank you, Melan. Glad you like it. :)

@Cambridge Spy: That's a very flattering comparison for a hobbyist like me. :laugh:

I'm not sure, if i could help you, as this is also a learning experience for me. If you need some help with textures, i'd recommend creating a thread on polycount. Those Artists over there are extremely knowledgeable and not stingy with advice. I basically got all my dcc-related knowledge from there.

Thank you, Melan. Glad you like it. :)

@Cambridge Spy: That's a very flattering comparison for a hobbyist like me. :laugh:

I'm not sure, if i could help you, as this is also a learning experience for me. If you need some help with textures, i'd recommend creating a thread on polycount. Those Artists over there are extremely knowledgeable and not stingy with advice. I basically got all my dcc-related knowledge from there.

Okay, I'll try there sometime.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

If you're not too busy, perhaps you can help me out with some textures? They're not related to TDM, but I've been on the lookout for a full-time professional artist for a while now. If you're interested, I'll send you a PM.

Are you hiring? What kind of project are you working on?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Are you hiring? What kind of project are you working on?

Just some texture editing. I had XendroX do some for me, but because he doesn't regularly visit the forum, and I would like to get as much textures made as possible before the next game in the Death to Spies series finally comes out. I'm currently waiting to be accepted on Polycount, but I wouldn't mind having another artist from the TDM forums help out. You will be given credit for it.

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

If you are looking for texture artists, you would probably have more luck on Mapcore than here. It is a place where a lot of professional and semi-professional level editors and texture artists hang out, and they have a lot broader focus than us.

@Ralle, that pavement stone is looking good - if you could give some signs of wear & dirt build it might be useable in a project we are working on.

Here is an updated version with dirt and scratches:

https://mega.co.nz/#!0dR0CJjJ!yYyZKol8bAiAEyGX4AwyKVXPIJ7pkhf8nm0RyKVDYL4

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150805/x4uhkgob.jpg

Is this suitable for your project?

Is this suitable for your project?

Its getting there, the issue imho is that the base texture is still too clean(or maybe the specular could be reduced). I spent a while trying to find an example and the nearest I could come with is the pavement to the left in the following image -

cobbles_defn.jpg

Ok, i think the main problems with my texture are the following:

1) The brightness of the slabs are overall too even.

2) The normal map lacks punch in the medium and fine details compared with the look, i wanted to achieve:

inspirationreclaimedparkersub11.jpg

The first one was easy to tweak, though the normal map is a bit of a problem. Since i sculpted this one with a quite destructively workflow, i have to admit, it would be hard to get the normals right.

The best thing i could come up with, was to enhance the normal map, but that mainly gave the large shapes more expressiveness:

http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150806/h8w2a5vq.jpg

And btw, i went without a specular map for this one, so nothing to reduce here any more. :P

Edited by Ralle321

The pavement slaps in the above image with some desaturation (so they are almost grey), would be perfect.

Regarding your reworked pavement texture -

• the specular still needs reducing, they are to shiny for dry stone
  • the colour desuirating a tad.
  • and the gaps inbetween the stones needs reducing and/or made less regular - like it is on the photo above.
  • And the normals need replacing so the slabs look more like the ones in the photo - if possible that is.

the specular still needs reducing, they are to shiny for dry stone

Must be caused by the normal map, i have no other explanation for this.

the colour desuirating a tad.

Done. Also combined some njob generated normals with my original normal map, to see if its doing any good: http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150806/2nk5uab2.jpg

• and the gaps inbetween the stones needs reducing and/or made less regular - like it is on the photo above.
  • And the normals need replacing so the slabs look more like the ones in the photo - if possible that is.

I totally agree on this, but i'm sorry. I can't do proper changes to my sculpt anymore. I'd need to start over and it's probably better to move forward, doing something new instead.

The light shader does apply a small amount of specular by default to simulate surface fresnel. I believe if you add a

specularmap

map _black

to your shader it will override that.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

What is the problem exactly? They seem to be much more smooth textures than the one you use for comparison. That's kinda apples and oranges.