The Dark Mod Forums

new monitor for TDM?

Flanders

At £169 on Amazon the Eizo Foris FS2333 is very competitively priced, so then looked for some reviews and found this and this

I think I have an older version of that model right here on my desk. I am quite happy with the blacks and the overall quality. One neat feature for graphics artists is that it has a pretty precise sRGB profile.

The power supply eventually started humming a very little bit. I wrote Eizo an E-Mail describing the issue, because I was still in their 5-year-warranty, and they instantly brought me a new monitor, no questions asked. :D THAT's what I call customer service! You get what you pay for!

• My price max is probably around $400 Canadian
  • I'd prefer a 16:10, but haven't thought much about size beyond that. I suppose the biggest I can get.
  • I don't play much fast-paced twitch gaming, so rich blacks are more important to me than response time.

ta.

• I am quite happy with the blacks and the overall quality.
  • One neat feature for graphics artists is that it has a pretty precise sRGB profile.
  • 5-year-warranty
  • Ok, answer me this, what are the blacks like when playing thief 1/2 or TDM in the dark..?
  • Thats good to know.
  • Thats awesome.

It happens only very rarely, that I actually notice the backlight. But I never play in complete darkness, so that might be the reason for that. But anyway, it's hard to tell you how those blacks are. :) Your best bet would be to get the display and see for yourself and return it, if you don't like it.

Did a search for the Eizo Foris FS233

- http://www.amazon.com/Foris-FS2333-BK-23-Inch-Screen-Monitor/dp/B00ASHTZYM

- https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Eizo+Foris+FS233&tbm=shop

I have only tried out a low end BenQ monitor (EW2440L) and I wasen't impressed at all, so all I can say is only try it if you know you can return it for a full refund if it turns out to be crap.

Actually, I found this one, which is an IPS panel and seems to get good reviews. I think I might go with this one unless someone notices an obvious red flag.

http://www.amazon.ca/ViewSonic-VX2770SMH-LED-Monitor-Frameless-Design/dp/B008RM23ZI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

When I worked at a local PC shop, we sold ViewSonic as the premium offering as it was considered to be better tuned for calibrated environments.

I was always a little suspect because they seemed a little overpriced and seemed to offer lower feature specifications than the Acers we carried.

The specifications look good. If nothing comparable is available for less, then I'd say you're good to go.

This review says that it can get some minor blur during fast action:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412687,00.asp

That seems a little strange as the 7ms GTG should allow for greater than 120PFS and the reviewer was on a PS3 which can only output 60FPS at most.

Perhaps it produces a little blur when you waiver on FPS?

Probably nothing to worry about. I remember when I went crazy over 16ms displays and now that's considered old as the hills.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Spring the first things that come to kind when I see that monitor are

• that the stand has no height adjustment.
  • the thick bezel along the bottom is generally found on cheap low end monitors.
  • The 30 million:1 contract ration screams cheap-ass, but the static ration is good @1000:1.
  • Confirmed the bluring on fast moving images here.

If I wanted a good baseline IPS panel and didnt want to have to think too hard, Dell Ultrasharp panels are one way to go. Here is the U2715H @$389 free shipping This is a 2k (1440p) model, 700+ reviews on the amazon product page. The 24" version is $100 cheaper.

Oh and another thing, if I havent said it already - please do your self a massive favour and avoid glossy screens. All of the above dells and that viewsonic have matt anti-glare screens.

That one is outside my price range, unfortunately ($450 US is about $600 Canadian) and doesn't ship to Canada. I went ahead and ordered the other one, as my monitor is now unreadable for the first 60 seconds after coming out of sleep mode, and it doesn't seem like I'll get anything that's perfect for what I have to spend. I'll just cross my fingers.