Epi's Many Questions Thread

156 replies to this topic

#151 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind, but have you looked at the shadow blendlights under Other Materials/lights/shadows?

Edited by VanishedOne, 11 October 2017 - 09:25 AM.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#152 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5247 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

So I have a strange question for the Epi-thread tonight. Is it even possible to create a lighting method (theory here) to use a texture light as a blend multiply instead of additive function. In other words a darkness map.

Yes. I've played with this a while ago. Have to search for the map as I can't remember how I've done it right now, though.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#153 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8043 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

So I have a strange question for the Epi-thread tonight. Is it even possible to create a lighting method (theory here) to use a texture light as a blend multiply instead of additive function. In other words a darkness map.

Yes, many of our lights have attached "blendLights" with blend filter and the image blend mode.

http://forums.thedar...e-2#entry347267

This is based on work done long ago at doom3world.org in a thread about "Negative Light".

TDM has tinkered with that since before v1.0 with the first example of a blendLight shadow being the tree shadows in "No Honor Among Thieves" mission 3 (forest).
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#154 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Yes, many of our lights have attached "blendLights" with blend filter and the image blend mode.

http://forums.thedar...e-2#entry347267

This is based on work done long ago at doom3world.org in a thread about "Negative Light".

TDM has tinkered with that since before v1.0 with the first example of a blendLight shadow being the tree shadows in "No Honor Among Thieves" mission 3 (forest).

I had thought those were just additive stages? I should go back and start testing that, because if I can throttle back past the ambient level (darker yet) that'll be exactly what I need. You see I had this crazy idea of creating an orthographic projection (top down) of exterior environments to create shadow maps for low/cloistered areas. Intensive? Maybe but as a last step it actually could be as simple as getting a uniform camera screenshot, and turning it into a mask, then run a Gaussian blur pass of it in Photoshop. If I can't get radiosity computed lightmaps out of the editor, I'll still try my damnedest to manually project them in controlled stages.  :P

Also that brings one more tiny question. Has anyone looked into the usage behind light entity layers? To be more specific, optional channels that can filter light entities to only affect other entities matching the same channel. In the same vein of thinking, you could theoretically make ground patches (that are on a separate channel) using the negative lighting pass. And then be able to decorate with foliage and trees on the regular channel.

Needing dem environment models?

Speak to the EPI!

Or rummage my online mesh repository instead...  https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7q1r8him1y63d/TDM%20Repository

#155 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8043 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

There is a "spectrum" keyword that you can add to a light shader def and material def so that the light only affects

textures with the matching "spectrum number". It hasn't been widely used because it's a bit cumbersome. You have to

place duplicate lights everywhere so moving models look correct when they are near it.

On thing that I thought of today regarding blendlights, is how you could use them to handle shadows on alpha

objects. I was puzzling over an idea to make some stencil shadows invert and then render lights with alpha masks

from the blocker but there were all sorts of special cases you'd have to handle. BlendLights can let you place one big

light and just eat away at it's projection with filter textures in a very natural way. Just a bit tedious with placement.

• Epifire likes this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#156 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

POPULAR

Well here's a first stab at just getting a simple occlusion mask going in this blend method. Fairly promising results overall, so I'm happy with the concept.

First image is with regular ambient world color with a directional parallel on top of that...

Mh5jb4z.jpg

Second image is that plus the blend mask I traced out from an orthographic projection...

FiCogNq.jpg

• Bikerdude, nbohr1more, Goldwell and 2 others like this

Needing dem environment models?

Speak to the EPI!

Or rummage my online mesh repository instead...  https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7q1r8him1y63d/TDM%20Repository

#157 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

Looks like Oblivion!

The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse