The Dark Mod Forums

Chest sound is the same as door sound?

wesp5

Okay, it seems nobody either reads or cares about the old improvement thread, so here I'll ask again. Am I mistaking or are the sounds of wooden chests opening and closing exactly the same as thsoe of wooden doors? Because I often flinch during missions when I pick a chest to see if a door nearby has opened and a guard is starting to breath down my neck ;). If this is true, I would suggest to use different sounds there which would make more sense from a realistic point of view as well!

Edited by wesp5

I started to answer this but then my wifi went down. The catch is that a closing chest lid actually -is- a door as far as the system is concerned. There's nothing in existing maps to hook on to for the code to even know what are chest lids and what are doors. At least I think.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think I did change the prefab sounds the last time this issue was raised, though I can't recall for sure.

There's nothing in existing maps to hook on to for the code to even know what are chest lids and what are doors. At least I think.

A hack could be constructed from interrogating a few things about the door at spawn time:

1 - If the door rotates about anything other than the z axis ... and

2 - "snd_open" is set to "door_open_01" (or one of the other sounds that makes you think it's an AI opening a door) ... and

3 - One of the door's targets is an "atdm:target_set_frobable"

Then we could conclude that the door is a lid and we could set the snd_open spawnarg to a sound shader that's a collection of creaky lid-opening sounds.

Since we have a number of chests and small boxes in prefabs, we'd need to account for them all.

The prefabs would also change to provide the same results.

• 1 month later...

This is going to be changed until 2.04?

It would be really awesome to have different sounds like in Thief.

I see that it was added to the bugtracker: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4206

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

We're investigating a bugfix-only release for 2.04. I wouldn't get my hopes up that the prefabs will get changed to vary the door opening sounds. I don't think this level of problem warrants the code change suggestion I made above.

Look for prefabs to be changed in 2.05.

• Like 1