The Dark Mod Forums

The_Deep's Mapping Troubles.

the_deep

I guess you're all tired of the same old questions, and believe me I understand. So, forgive my total ignorance on countless subjects, but sometimes (or rather most times) I need to ask.

Firstly, does it make a difference performance wise if I make one large area and later divide it up into smaller sections vs. starting out with the smaller sections?

I need a candle flame without any light sources attached. Preferably it should still glow. I have no idea what properties to delete, or how to otherwise create one. Perhaps there is one hidden in the hierarchy somewhere?

That's it for now.

Thank you! :)

Firstly, does it make a difference performance wise if I make one large area and later divide it up into smaller sections vs. starting out with the smaller sections?

It doesn't, since the geometry is processed the same way by the engine. Just keep in mind you may find it harder to divide the area later than if you pre-plan everything. It is good practice to think of your level as a collection of small spaces. You should also plan it with visportals in mind - complex, convoluted architecture is best..

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

For a candle flame on its own you need a func_emitter.

Thank you. I'll try it out. :)

It doesn't, since the geometry is processed the same way by the engine. Just keep in mind you may find it harder to divide the area later than if you pre-plan everything. It is good practice to think of your level as a collection of small spaces. You should also plan it with visportals in mind - complex, convoluted architecture is best..

Thank you. That's good to know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Diagonal brushes are not my friends... Any advice to avoid snapping issues? I've been using prisms for now, but they sometimes end up bigger than necessary.

I see that I can export ASE files from the editor, maybe I could do some diagonal beams and things in Blender and export it as a usable model instead? Can't find any import/export scripts for 2.7x though.

To get a diagonal brush what I do is to make a large normal brush, then use the clipper tool to make a diagonal cut starting from one of the corners.

You'll need to carefully count out the squares up and to the side, because making random slopes like 3:17 can cause a mess with the engine. I've restricted myself to slopes of 1:1, 1:2, 1:4 and 1:8 squares. Slopes of 1:3, 2:3 and 1:6 only if there's no other way and if the line can end on a whole number of squares both up and to the side.

The .ase exporter in DR is meant to take a group of brushes and patches you made and turn them into a model. That makes it easier and more efficient to use again if you need to use it many times.

• Like 1

Like Dragofer said, you don't need to snap anything if you carve your brushes using the clipper. Another approach is to make your sealing walls from simple caulk textured brushes, which will be solid but invisible in game, and then add your visible roofing and/or walls using separate brushes and patches which you can turn into a func static. That way the job of sealing your rooms is kept separate from the job of looking good. Your visible surfaces won't have to line up right or seal or snap to grid, you only have to worry about what they look like.

• Like 2

Ah! Nice... Thanks, both. :-) Is it beneficial to turn all things like rafters and corner beams etc into func static? And only leave the walls, ceiling and floors as world spawn? I've noticed that when backing into a plain corner (and keep pressing the movement key) the player stops, but if there's a beam in place then the player keeps walking... Might solve that "problem" too. (EDIT: No, that didn't seem to change that behaviour. No biggie though.)

Also, do bigger AI's take routes designed for smaller AIs into account when path finding thus affecting performance? I can't find a clip texture that seems to block one but not the other.

The way I'm designing now, I've assumed that conditional blocking (related to events, ie they can be removed depending on certain events) is a possibility, as I think I've read that somewhere.... I just want to make sure by asking.

Edited by the_deep

1. Ah! Nice... Thanks, both. :-) Is it beneficial to turn all things like rafters and corner beams etc into func static? And only leave the walls, ceiling and floors as world spawn?

Also, do bigger AI's take routes designed for smaller AIs into account when path finding thus affecting performance? I can't find a clip texture that seems to block one but not the other.

The way I'm designing now, I've assumed that conditional blocking (related to events, ie they can be removed depending on certain events) is a possibility, as I think I've read that somewhere.... I just want to make sure by asking.

1. That's the way experienced mappers tend to do it. If you're doing anything complicated, it makes for an easier workflow and it's certainly much easier to track down leaks etc when you can filter/hide all the entities in the map and just be left with your sealing caulk. It's not obligatory so you can mix and match, reserving the func_statics for twiddly bits if you prefer.

No, each AI size has its own set of routes through the map (AAS). These are calculated during dmap. AI will take only one AAS into account, the one that's right for their size.

Yes, func_aas_obstacle http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Pathfinding#Dynamic_blocking.2Fclipping_with_func_aas_obstacle. There's an example usage in the Elevators wiki article, but I think they are pretty straightforward. Place one and trigger it on or off using any of the usual triggering mechanisms.

• Like 1

Is the texture on a func_static (or some other entity class that's not worldspawn)?

Are the buttons not working, or do they work but not the number panel to the left of them?

It's worldspawn. I can click the buttons, but the rotation just stays on '0'. Likewise H/V shift and H/V Scale. The Texture Operation controls seem to work normally though.

Do you have a face selected, or the whole brush? (I see what you describe if I select the brush rather than a single surface of the brush.)

Just the face. The boxes aren't greyed out (forgot to mention that, sorry) and there's a blue square in the centre of the selected face.

EDIT: I can't manually put values in either.

Edited by the_deep

Is this in all maps and persistent after restarting DR?

I started a brand new map just to check and the problems persists... Restarting DR doesn't help either.

I can't remember if I've rotated textures since I had to switch from 2.0.2 to 1.8.0. Probably not, because I've duplicated a lot of existing brushes to build so far.

There's a config file containing key bindings and other user interface settings that gets borked if you install DR 1.x over the top of 2.x. Deleting that file and reinstalling 1.x over the top should fix it (or you can get a clean copy of the file). I can't remember the name of the file off hand. It was mentioned a lot during 2.0 test threads.

There's a config file containing key bindings and other user interface settings that gets borked if you install DR 1.x over the top of 2.x. Deleting that file and reinstalling 1.x over the top should fix it (or you can get a clean copy of the file). I can't remember the name of the file off hand. It was mentioned a lot during 2.0 test threads.

Oh, cool. There are a few potential ones: colours.xml, filters.xml, input.xml, user.xml...

The most likely to me are the input and user ones. Perhaps I should delete them all and reinstall. I'll try it a little later today. Thanks a lot! :)

EDIT: Cooking dinner for guest, but I couldn't wait to try... Lol!

Yeah! Deleting those files and reinstalling worked like a charm, the short cut keys even work! This'll be a sheer joy now. Thank you, SteveL.

Edited by the_deep

This is weird. I'm having the exact same problem after a restart. Checked the darkradiant.log... What does this mean, and is it related?:

SurfaceInspector shutting down.EventManager::disconnect: Widget is not connected.

EDIT: Seems I have to delete the contents of the /.darkradiant folder before every new launch.

Edited by the_deep

I remember in Doom3 you could talk to NPCs by clicking on them (or rather get them to talk to you). Is there a similar function in TDM? I realize it's not a feature one would usually implement in a stealth based game like this, but I'm trying to make a safe house of sorts, where this would be a nice thing to have as there are just friendlies around that may have some valuable information for the player.

EDIT: Seems I have to delete the contents of the /.darkradiant folder before every new launch.

That doesn't sound right at all. Are you still having this problem? I don't use Linux so can't help much except to suggest a completely clean install of your 1.8 build, but it's worth bumping the question if that doesn't help. We do have prior using Linux build without this hassle.

I remember in Doom3 you could talk to NPCs by clicking on them (or rather get them to talk to you). Is there a similar function in TDM? I realize it's not a feature one would usually implement in a stealth based game like this, but I'm trying to make a safe house of sorts, where this would be a nice thing to have as there are just friendlies around that may have some valuable information for the player.

Yes you can set an npc to be frobbable, and trigger something.. a target or a conversation or a script.

That doesn't sound right at all. Are you still having this problem? I don't use Linux so can't help much except to suggest a completely clean install of your 1.8 build, but it's worth bumping the question if that doesn't help. We do have prior using Linux build without this hassle.

Yes you can set an npc to be frobbable, and trigger something.. a target or a conversation or a script.

Yep! It's still a problem. Well, just a minor inconvenience really. I'm thinking about installing KXStudio, because I want to work on some musical pieces for this... Maybe it'll go away.

Cool. I'm not sure I want the NPCs to highlight though. Can I trigger another visual cue, like a cursor of some sort?