The Dark Mod Forums

Micro$oft data slurp: now not just limited to win10

Bikerdude

Update to remove/hide:

List of updates thus far, to removed and then hidden so they don't get installed again -

Found out about some more updates related to Win10 related crap being installed on your PC -

• KB 2952664 - Labeled a compatibility upgrade for upgrading Windows 7, its purpose is to "make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows".
  • KB 2976978 - A compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 which "performs diagnostics on the Windows system [..] to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed.
  • KB 2990214 . Does the same as KB 3044374 but on Windows 7.
  • KB 3021917 - Does the same as KB 2976978 but on Windows 7.
  • KB 3044374 - This update for Windows 8.1 enables systems to upgrade from the current operating system to a later version of Windows.

Other info:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to Linux land. I'm typing this to you running on a 16 GB flash drive, where the actual OS takes up less than a quarter of that. The entire system is compressed with BTRFS, which increases speed and of course makes the installation smaller. You can boot the computer from this drive and up pops the desktop with accelerated NVIDIA drivers, audio editors, office software, graphics editing software, CD writing software, diagnostic software, DosBox, Wine, torrent software, and I can go on and on and on. Let's see Windows 10 do this. :) It will even run on lots of different hardware without so much as a complaint during boot. There's no product keys, no activation malware and no need to wait for it to slowly discover hardware when it boots on a different box.

Basically, "resistance is futile". microshaft is becoming the new Google, except you still need to pay for the priveledge of being spied on. Just look how there's an advertising ID built into modern Windows (WTF?). Then there's the way that (if you tell it to STFU and stop contacting MS), it still does so anyway. Then there are the forced updates that can "fix" any workarounds people come up with to stop the snooping. It will basically be a cat and mouse game between those that value privacy (or those that run unlicensed copies) and MS.

Edited by kano

What cracks me up is how Microsoft used to run a campaign about not getting "Scroogled" by Google. MS even offered mugs that said "keep calm while we steal your data", referencing Google. Now look what Microsoft is doing. I came up with a saying myself: "I'de rather get Scroogled than Microshafted, because being Scroogled is a lot cheaper."

They also used to run ads bashing the Chromebooks, instead of ads demonstrating why Windows 8.x was so great.

ideally I want a distro who UI is much windows like as possible, dosent have spyware built in (ubuntu) and will allow me to use PlayOnLinux for Dark radiant/Darkmod and all my other windows based apps/games.

Like OpenSuse with KDE (opensuse mirrorlist), with a Windows 8 skin, a native TDM & Dark Radiant and some windows games on playonlinux (get the package trough yast and one-click-install)?

Give it a try by using virtualbox.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I can't be bothered trying to get games working on Linux because of all the compatibility and performance issues that I always encounter (especially with AMD drivers).

But on the other hand, I don't care about Windows privacy issues because I only use Windows for gaming. I couldn't care less if Microsoft knows how many hours I play various games; this information is no doubt already gathered by Steam, Battle.net or whatever other network-based installers the games are using.

Use the right tool for the job.

Come to Linux land. I'm typing this to you running on a 16 GB flash drive, where the actual OS takes up less than a quarter of that. The entire system is compressed with BTRFS, which increases speed and of course makes the installation smaller. You can boot the computer from this drive and up pops the desktop with accelerated NVIDIA drivers, audio editors, office software, graphics editing software, CD writing software, diagnostic software, DosBox, Wine, torrent software, and I can go on and on and on. Let's see Windows 10 do this. :) It will even run on lots of different hardware without so much as a complaint during boot. There's no product keys, no activation malware and no need to wait for it to slowly discover hardware when it boots on a different box.

Basically, "resistance is futile". microshaft is becoming the new Google, except you still need to pay for the priveledge of being spied on. Just look how there's an advertising ID built into modern Windows (WTF?). Then there's the way that (if you tell it to STFU and stop contacting MS), it still does so anyway. Then there are the forced updates that can "fix" any workarounds people come up with to stop the snooping. It will basically be a cat and mouse game between those that value privacy (or those that run unlicensed copies) and MS.

I've used Mint before and just installed Mint Isabella on a USB drive as that was the version that was used in the USB tutorial I followed, do you know if the latest version 'Rafaela' can be used on a USB drive?

I only have a few issues running from USB, my logitech wifi mouse is found but does not work correctly so had to use a wired USB mouse and opening some web pages takes too long and times out but if I retry it opens, not sure why this happens but so far quite enjoying it and might built a small cube type case PC and go for a full HDD install and use it just for online and win7 just for off line gaming, I don't game online so not an issue.

Edit: Just tried using Mint 'Rafaela' on a USB drive but it won't boot.

Edited by Eyeshine

Just had a thought about the KB971033 update.

There's no real reason why you need to check if a system is properly licensed more than once but this one seems to do a software audit every 90 days.

Then I remembered WIn10 has a killswitch.

The killswitch is supposed to be used for software downloaded from the Microsoft store that somehow proves to be rogue, which opens up the whole discussion of why wasn't it checked when it was added to the store rather than installed on a users PC - but that's another discussion, personally I suspect that the killswitch can be applied to any software Microsoft doesn't approve of regardless of source, certainly measures can be taken to disable or delete unapproved software.

So there's a possible reason for checking the licenses every 90 days, it's a small step from knowing what you're running to disabling it if it's not approved.

I know, I'm paranoid.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/28/windows_10_data_collection/

I'm loving this... especially the bits about how these "features" can be switched off in the enterprise versions. I guess the elite deserve choice and privacy, but us peasants do not. MS does not allow people to encrypt a hard drive unless they get the enterprise version either. How is it legal for them to say that they take privacy of end users seriously when they make the product less secure on purpose for end-users? In my opinion, this is false advertising.

It would be like me building a car, yanking out the airbags and firewall and advertising that you should choose my car because I'm committed to safety even though I made the product less safe intentionally by removing those things.

If you want an airbag, upgrade to the enterprise model!

Edited by kano

Just had a thought about the KB971033 update.

There's no real reason why you need to check if a system is properly licensed more than once but this one seems to do a software audit every 90 days.

Then I remembered WIn10 has a killswitch.

The killswitch is supposed to be used for software downloaded from the Microsoft store that somehow proves to be rogue, which opens up the whole discussion of why wasn't it checked when it was added to the store rather than installed on a users PC - but that's another discussion, personally I suspect that the killswitch can be applied to any software Microsoft doesn't approve of regardless of source, certainly measures can be taken to disable or delete unapproved software.

So there's a possible reason for checking the licenses every 90 days, it's a small step from knowing what you're running to disabling it if it's not approved.

I know, I'm paranoid.

No you are not, this is the current thinking with software manufactures. LG pushed an update to my TV with a new data and privacy statement. I declined it, and they disabled all the apps on my TV. Ok, I didn't have any, but if I had any, even bought ones, they would have stopped working...

It's the new "Nice software you have here, shame if something happened to it..." extortion er I mean business model.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

No you are not, this is the current thinking with software manufactures. LG pushed an update to my TV with a new data and privacy statement. I declined it, and they disabled all the apps on my TV. Ok, I didn't have any, but if I had any, even bought ones, they would have stopped working...

It's the new "Nice software you have here, shame if something happened to it..." extortion er I mean business model.

Smart TV's are spying on us, this is about samsung but others are also doing it, my TV is only online for an occasional catch up program, then it's unplugged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVvrP9iXaSg

Edited by Eyeshine

I have a samsung TV I was aware of the bunch of the privacy issues with these sets, but I made a point of getting a set with out a mic/cam. I dont have any smart appliances in the house, I really dont see the point. But now I think I will create a rule/route to block what the TV can see on my internal network and what external IPs it can access.

Oh yes, I read about those TVs. That is indeed scary stuff. I would stay away from smart TVs. If you want a "smart TV", get a regular TV and connect one of those ultra-compact computers to it like a Pi or USB-stick PC. Then you can upgrade *that* without upgrading the TV.

The scary thing is if smart TVs take off and are widely used... Then they will convert all TVs into smart TVs, and you will need to "activate" it online before you're allowed to watch it. This activation process will allow them to uniquely fingerprint the TV and who is watching it, making it easier to track you.

Edited by kano

Oh yes, I read about those TVs. That is indeed scary stuff. I would stay away from smart TVs. If you want a "smart TV", get a regular TV and connect one of those ultra-compact computers to it like a Pi or USB-stick PC. Then you can upgrade *that* without upgrading the TV.

The scary thing is if smart TVs take off and are widely used... Then they will convert all TVs into smart TVs, and you will need to "activate" it online before you're allowed to watch it. This activation process will allow them to uniquely fingerprint the TV and who is watching it, making it easier to track you.

Internet TV is the future and online access will be the only way to view it, programs/stations will be encrypted pay to view with adverts tailored to the individuals monitored and tracked viewing habits, I don't watch much TV so rather than paying for any TV subscriptions it's a good excuse to build a new gaming rig :P

As I was writing this I heard on the radio

Freeview is to undergo its biggest overhaul in a decade by launching a new service called Freeview Play, which will provide access to catch-up content from BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and 4OD.

Freeview Play will be available on a range of new TVs and set-top boxes, and enabled with any existing broadband service. Viewers will be able to search for catch-up content by scrolling back in the TV guide or through apps.

Freeview wants its new connected TV service to become the “new normal” way to watch TV.

How long before all these services are pay to view and we will still get damn adverts!

Edited by Eyeshine

Ok, MS are still at it, now sening out completly corrupt updates -

http://www.theregist..._update_glitch/

Just how can MS screw up so badly, with all the people working there you would think someone would have noticed which makes it look all the more suspicious!

Personally, I always turn off auto updates, (win7) I use a program called 'wsusoffline update' which d/loads, stores and installs updates offline, the updates I use are about six months old and not the latest but I don't have any issues with win7 not being up to date, I use FF not IE so don't need that updated and as for all the so called 'important/critical security patches, using Comodo av and firewall suite I have never had a security/malware/virus issue and after recent privacy issues with win10 I'm not convinced that all windows updates are for my benefit, so I have no intention of updating win7, I have a system image of win7 with updates and use that for a fresh install, nice and simple and no waiting hours for updates to install.

Edited by Eyeshine

I turn off auto updates & use windows update at a convenient time, mainly because when I want to use my PC I don't want to sit there for half an hour while updates are installed then a reboot & another half hour while it configures them and then finally the machine is ready to use, which is a bit crap if I'm sniping something on ebay.

And now Microsoft have made me so paranoid that they're going to pull a fast one I'm wasting tons of time researching every fucking update before I install them which eats into my work schedule, maybe I should send them a bill for my time.

Beginning with Windows 10, Microsoft has begun touting a new strategy of "Windows as a service," where updates are continuous and automatic, and only enterprise customers are given the option of refusing them.

And that idea can fuck right off too

actually is more like, downloads them, installs them, reboots your computer when it knows your not using it, it even gives a schedule when its going to reboot the computer or you can reboot it yourself, so you can see whether its buggered your computer or not.