The Dark Mod Forums

Micro$oft data slurp: now not just limited to win10

Bikerdude

I think I'll go back to my old method of instead of just taking an image backup of the disk every few months, I'll take one before I do an upgrade.

Do you mean an OS upgrade or a hardware upgrade? Any major hardware changes such as GPU or motherboard will probably cause driver issues with the old image, been there, done that, although you might be able to install new drivers and get way with it if windows doesn't complain about new hardware.

Edited by Eyeshine

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also had this installed accidentally just recently, so it must have not been optional anymore :( (I usually only install important updates). But I also have the problem, that in my control panel no Windows updates appear in the Installed Updates list (I only have the categories Adobe Reader, Corel Paint Shop, MS .NET Freamework, MS Office, and MS Visual C++). Anyone else ever had this problem? Currently I manually close the GWX.exe everytime I reboot as this is the program in the tray and my laptop is quite old and not very strong...

its a separate list one for installed software and its updates and another list for just operating system, a list just for the kb<number> updates

with the important update you need to check that windows hasn't dumpped a full install of windows 10 in a hidden folder behind your back, or if you are on a local/home/office network somewhere on your network due to the windows 10 feature of storing updates on other computers connected to yours, regardless of this being windows 8/8.1/7 another important windows update was to add this feature to these other operating systems. windows xp and earlier version don't get the file sharing system as these operating systems are no longer supported by microsoft.

Do you mean an OS upgrade or a hardware upgrade? Any major hardware changes such as GPU or motherboard will probably cause driver issues with the old image, been there, done that, although you might be able to install new drivers and get way with it if windows doesn't complain about new hardware.

I mean I'll take an image backup before running windows update.

I take the point about updating hardware rendering backups that predate it a bit problematic, had that problem on my partners old XP laptop when the GPU failed & was replaced with a different type, the restoration failed to a vga mode, worked fine after installing the new driver though.

its a separate list one for installed software and its updates and another list for just operating system, a list just for the kb<number> updates

with the important update you need to check that windows hasn't dumpped a full install of windows 10 in a hidden folder behind your back, or if you are on a local/home/office network somewhere on your network due to the windows 10 feature of storing updates on other computers connected to yours, regardless of this being windows 8/8.1/7 another important windows update was to add this feature to these other operating systems. windows xp and earlier version don't get the file sharing system as these operating systems are no longer supported by microsoft.

I am not sure, I understand, what you mean. When I go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update I can view the Update History (where I see that Update KB3035583 was successfully installed). But when I right-click on that I have only "view details" and "copy details" and can't do anything else in this screen. When I click on the "Installed updates", that is highlighted at the top and is said to lead to where you can remove it, I get to a screen, where no Windows Updates are listed (as stated above). Could it be that they are hidden somehow?

• I am not sure, I understand, what you mean. When I go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update I can view the Update History (where I see that Update KB3035583 was successfully installed). But when I right-click on that I have only "view details" and "copy details" and can't do anything else in this screen.

When I click on the "Installed updates", that is highlighted at the top and is said to lead to where you can remove it, I get to a screen, where no Windows Updates are listed (as stated above). Could it be that they are hidden somehow?

• No I recognised the KB number on the windows update window, right clicked and selected hide. It should NOT have been presented to me again, so I can only assume it became visible because micro$oft deliberately and deceptively changed the importance category.

I don't follow, got a screenshot..?

WTF… despite being hidden, windows update is trying to install this once again! And not only that, it was categorised as important, rather than optional... <_<

Here's where it crosses the line into malware territory... as if it wasn't sketchy enough the first time around, when it did not offer you a "no thanks, I do not want W10, please go away and do not show up again" button. Believe it or not, 98% of users are not techie enough to find the specific KB number and then uninstall it and then make sure it stays gone.

These users get to deal with a constant nagging at the bottom of their screen that runs in the background, consuming RAM that they can't easily get rid of. I'll say it again: Why isn't there a "No thanks". button that makes this thing go away?

• No I recognised the KB number on the windows update window, right clicked and selected hide. It should NOT have been presented to me again, so I can only assume it became visible because micro$oft deliberately and deceptively changed the importance category.
  • I don't follow, got a screenshot..?

I will make screenshots tomorrow, I hope these will clear things up.

So, here are the Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv37of5l5zulx3h/History.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nipo2rrw1ljlhtd/Updates.jpg?dl=0

On the first you can see the Update History, where the "bad" update is listed as installed successfully (circled red, left). When I click on the link to the Installed Updates, where I should suppsedly be able to remove updates (circled re, right), I get to the screen in the second screenshot. Here, I can't find any Windows Updates at all. I cannot scroll down further, all listed updates can be seen in this shot. So the question is: Where have all the updates gone?

Just saw, that there is a new KB3035583, that gives you a "Upgrade to Windows 10" with a "Get Started" button, as soon as you open "Windows Updates" in the Control Panel. I should really pay more attention on updates that windows wants to install. It is still marked "recommended" in the Update History, but was installed automatically. I just was quite late and wanted to shut down my computer, so I did not look, what update it was. Won't make that mistake again...

If they're already pushing out updates to people (again), who uninstalled them and selected not to display them (before), imagine how fun it will be when you get Windows 10 and you're not allowed to stop the updates.

Edited by kano

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/15/pushy_windows_10/

Again, I'm *loving* this. Its just so funny to watch from the sidelines.

If anybody falls for this and then finds that the upgrade broke something, I'm not fixing it for free. MS deserves some self-inflicted bad karma for the way this is being done.

Edited by kano

Yeah I found and mentioned that a few posts above I think, its bad enough the shit they are doing within 10 but not trying to actively fuck about with peoples existing Win7/8 installs its a boat too far. I can see a class action coming... Gotta laugh at the comment in the above article "Bill Gates should be very very very concerned that it appears that Microsoft is losing its credibility as an honourable company !!"

Er 1. gates hasent owned the company for a long while and dosent give a flying shit and 2. MS has been loosing credibility since windows millennium, they have just ratcheted up a gear with win10.

I am kinda dreading what ever contract I get next as I will have to deal with the above shit, on X number of PC's. Assuming the in-house admin hasen't disabled windows update via group policy.

Chances are if you're using Pro or Enterprise at said future contract, and have a WSUS server, you might be ok.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

This whole mess makes me glad to have Vista on my home PC. Even though many people say, it's shit, I have had no problems with it and at least I don't have to bother with the Win10 update there.

My work laptop, on the other hand, has all the problems with Win10 and above all does not show the installed updates, which is why I can't even uninstall these crappy updates (thanks again to Bikerdude for taking the time trying to help me there). And the article above kind of kills my hopes, that I can find a repair installation for Win7, to get the updates to show up again :( . So, I will just have to check each and every update, that Win7 offers, hoping to avoid further junk.