The Dark Mod Forums

How do I save Food items?

llanita

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to stock up on food in my inventory, but all I am able to do is pick up highlighted food and then put it back down. Is there any way I can just put in in inventory?

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

Those food items are probably not usable. It's up to the mapper what can be done with food. NB food doesn't confer any advantage in TDM currently, although it'll restore 1 health by default in the next release. But you don't need to worry about it either way. It's placed for atmosphere rather than usefulness.

Those food items are probably not usable. [...]

Quite a few food items are eatable, but I think none of them are transportable in TDM, at least I can't remember them. For example big pieces of cheese, apples, carrots or turnips are things I regularly eat in missions - for the fun of it - and I think I never got them in the inventory.

There are actually inventory icons for various food types, presumably left over from an earlier planning stage. It would be easy to make food that acted T2-style with the assets that exist; it's just that it would introduce inconsistency.

Edit: I was actually thinking about this the other day, while re-reading http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15738-when-is-someone-gonna-make-an-egyptian-based-mission/-- in that kind of setting, maybe you'd start with some provisions in your inventory to indicate how far you'd descended from the nearest larder...

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

NB food doesn't confer any advantage in TDM currently, although it'll restore 1 health by default in the next release.

Is that bug? They were always supposed to restore 1 hp.

You can not save them like you did in Thief. Since they only give little health, that wouldn't make too much sense either way... What you can do is pick them up first with "right click" and then eat them instantly with pressing the "F key" (use key).

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Ah, and another thing i didn't know. It's certainly time for some ingame info page or loading tips :)!

Another thing, that is described in the training mission, if I remember correctly. I agree, it is difficult to remember every little bit, especially if you pause playing TDM for a while, so the loading tips would definitely be good. But until then, you could just consider replaying the training mission, after some time, to keep the info fesh...

Thanks to you all for that response. Destined I believe I'll follow your advice and redo the mission. I haven't gone through it all, I just did the lockpicking, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a Dark Mod FM lol.

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

:smile: I can completely relate to that. Was the same for me, the first time I played. I was like "I know Thief, how hard can it be?", but there are some major differences and the training mission introduces all important features. Although the first walkthrough is kind of lengthy. But that cannot be avoided, I think. Maybe, we could try to do a more story driven introduction, like in the first Theif game. Another project for another time, I should first try to finish my first WIP...

I think it is not really pressing (which I suppose is why it was suspended). The mission as is explains everything and you can even "hop" to sepcific topics, so it is actually quite good. All it lacks is a little story. As I said: it's something for another time.

I was talking about a tracker for making food inventoryable, not improving the training mission; but either way, obviously it indeed wasn't pressing.

Once TDM gets updated with the fixed health-giving food I might post an inventoryable version to the custom items thread, and we can see whether anyone wants it in practice.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying