The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Dead Drunk by Stumpy (2015/10/30)

stumpy

Dead Drunk  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What are you...

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Appearance

Woo-hoo! :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Played this just now.

Some remarks

*The starting story was interesting and I was really curious what I would find while progressing through the mission. Sadly there was not much of a story to tell. It would have been fun to to know something about the crypt or why the player was cast there.

*The mission looked okay, but after a while was way too repetitive.

*Some of the ambients were also too repetetive. After I while I muted the ambient music.

*Gameplaywise the mission was a bit on the weak side, too. Avoiding the AI was too easy and was not particularily exciting. It was just a path of darkness through the mission. The mission was very linear and I did not get to make any decisions.

*I expected some kind of twist, or climax but did not find any.

Thank for the mission!

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I found it to be good mission. If it were possible, this would get 7 points for Halloween spirit.

Sotha was right about the repetition but it was entirely plausible in this context and didn't bother me at all.

If anything, it made the mission seem surreal which enhanced the creepy mood.

The maze was just challenging enough to pose a challenge without leaving you endlessly lost.

A pretty good design especially without beta testers to help evaluate the proper balance.

I loved the meal of brains. It was over the top and perfectly set the tone.

The sheer size was impressive even if it was mostly accomplished via modular techniques.

It looks like there might be a climbing puzzle above the worm skin rug area. Does it lead anywhere? I couldn't get past 3 tiers up.

I would suggest adding cobwebs if you decide to do an update.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Trivial mansion heist mission playing in a crypt. Nice use of building blocks to create larger structures fast. I found no bugs.

Gameplay:

I effortlessly found all but 2 gold coins of loot and the optional rug. The fully deterministic AI never posed any threat.

It really was an exceptionally easy mission that seems to be well-suited as one of the first missions to play just after discovering TDM. It may replace the tutorial teaching movement and interaction when extended.

Also the complete absence of any scaryness should make it enjoyable for people normally avoiding the undead even though it technically contains some.

rather big

You are a Vampire, after having bitten too many necks you come back to your grave where you wake up having forgotten how you got there, so you decide to escape, your previous meals are wandering around your crypt, out to get you for previously eating them and turning them into undead creatures... when you finally escape you turn into a bat and flap away to find some more necks to bite.

(also why would the key to the door be in the crypt.)

(originally there were going to be zombies, hence the flash bomb you can find, and was at the last minute changed to skeletons.)

As for climbing in the room with the table set with brains, originally it was open to the sky and a skeleton in a cage had a big diamond in its hand, but I thought that no one would think of going up there for loot so the diamond was never added.

• Like 1

The idea was novel and with great potential - however

The whole thing developed into a key hunt after I got most of the loot but somehow missed the key and had to search all over again.

The banquet area was really good and having to distract the AI to get the loot in there was a nice touch however overall it was too easy and the method of leaving (once you found the key) was too simple

For only four days of building, this is a decent small mission.

There sure are a lot of copypasted corridors, and the patrols are very much on the easy side, but where the mission shines are its inventive touches. The backstory is original, and the customised dead people are individualised by their grave objects. It is this simple device which makes the mission live, and it is surprisingly effective. Coins over the eyes, or objects hinting at their occupation or fate make them seem, well, alive. Then there is the mysterious dining room. I like that it is left unexplained. It is something to think about.

Gameplay-wise, it is mostly routine, with a tight spot here and there. But, again, four days, and I enjoyed playing it.

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Same as Melan.

I really enjoyed the architecture, the texturing. It looks and feels good, harmonic. I also enjoyed little details like the coins over the skull's eyes. That was something new. I usually do not enjoy mazes, in general. But this was simple enough to follow, and the mechanics of avoiding the skeletons and looking for the loot on each crypt kept me going. Unfortunately as an horror mission, it wasnt really scary. But thats mostly TDM's fault, because there isnt an AI routine for a scary "monster" available, the zombies, skeletons and spirits Ive encountered are as easy to fool and avoid as any distracted human guard, which takes away from their mystique quite a lot.

Anyway, thanks a lot for this.

Fun but pretty basic , and if I can say that pathetic thief that I am.......

Anyhow thank you !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It wasn't a bad mission. Still, I can't say I found much that was unique about it; The map was too repetitive in appearance, despite those catacombs looking pretty neat... there was also not much to do, you just sneak past some skeletons to reach an exit and that's kinda it. I was expecting something scary to get me by surprise at some point... that would have been a great addition if it did.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this one up, thanks for your hard work :)

As others have said it was a nice easy mission but took me a while as I'm a "search every nook and cranny" kind of player as I like to find all the loot regardless of objective LOL! I liked that the loot or objects left with the deceased hinted at what or who they were. I was kind of wondering if maybe those were the friends who left me there - lying on the slabs but I guess they were my victims. LOL!

Thanks again!

• 5 months later...
Finished on difficult. Very quick to complete.

The good:

+No bugs.

+Interesting and original premise.

+Starting the game with no weapons and items is always challenging.

+Some nice touches like coins in the skulls eyes.

+The dining table area was fun to loot. I used the objects on the table to distract the skeletons.

The bad:

-Lots of swords but none are usable.

-Very repetitive.

-No readables.

-No plot progression.

-No climax.

But anyway, considering the build time of 4 days, it's a decent FM.

Edited by Jon Irenicus