Photo

Fan Mission: The Rats Triumphant by Melan (2015/10/31)

halloween contest contest horror undead

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: The Rats Triumphant by Melan (2015/10/31) (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Appearance

1. Poor (1) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Could be better (2) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Average (3) (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Good (4) (8 votes [25.81%])

Percentage of vote: 25.81%

5. Great (5) (22 votes [70.97%])

Percentage of vote: 70.97%

Gameplay

2. Could be better (2) (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. Average (3) (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

4. Good (4) (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

5. Great (5) (14 votes [45.16%])

Percentage of vote: 45.16%

Halloween

2. Could be better (2) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Average (3) (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

4. Good (4) (7 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

5. Great (5) (21 votes [67.74%])

Percentage of vote: 67.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7449 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

Grrr , Ive annoyingly got stuck on part of the map and need to noclip. Can't remember the right keys to use , tilde plus others I think , can't find a ref anywhere to do it. Thanks for any help. p.s Melan thanks for clue. Annoyingly , I was there earlier and didn't follow it through but all well now.

CTRL + ALT + TILDE

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#27 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

Many thanks !!

• nbohr1more likes this

#28 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

Just finished , my first mission for quite a while. Many thanks Melan , very enjoyable , ( and for the little hint too. )

I half expected

Spoiler

Flash bombs were useless , were they supposed to work? And does anyone ever have any success with mines , I never seem to. Certainly an item you could exclude from your equipment pack , maybe pack a fire arrow instead!

#29 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

This was a great mission! I especially loved the architecture with dilapidated buildings and scores of rats roaming the streets! Very Halloween-y

Spoiler

• Melan likes this

#30 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4331 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:42 AM

It is probably the long sight lines on the street (a typical design mistake, but didn't have time to rethink and rebuild) along with the number of rats roaming around. Still, hopefully nothing outright terrible.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#31 Bienie

Bienie

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

It is probably the long sight lines on the street (a typical design mistake, but didn't have time to rethink and rebuild) along with the number of rats roaming around. Still, hopefully nothing outright terrible.

Oh no it wasn't terrible, and my rig is quite dated... I noticed a drop from around 30-35 fps down to 15 fps, especially

Spoiler

So anyway thank you for putting in the effort and making a quality Halloween mission! :)

#32 Araneidae

Araneidae

• PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

I am perplexed.

Spoiler

#33 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4331 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

Spoiler

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#34 Cookie

Cookie

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

This FM is much easier if you have played previous Melan ones.

Spoiler

Nice mission, caught the contest theme well, but there are also some bugs/glitches:

Spoiler

Other than that, solid mission.

#35 MVT

MVT

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

A great spooky horror effort.  It feels like a much bigger map than it really is. I think it invites a sequel.

Spoiler

Loved the title.  Title of the year?

Spoiler

Having completed the game, I poked around with NOCLIP,

Spoiler

Edited by MVT, 08 November 2015 - 11:47 AM.

• Melan likes this

#36 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

Well I liked it. Needed to up the gamma to search for things, but that wasn't too bad. The look of things was great, not only for a short timeframe.

I read hints and maybe made things harder for myself, like getting myself on top of roofs and gargoyles where I didn't need to be,
Spoiler

Anyway fun map. More ambitious than most contest maps. I liked The Sword homage.
  • Melan and Cookie like this
Posted Image

#37 Cookie

Cookie

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

Well I liked it. Needed to up the gamma to search for things, but that wasn't too bad. The look of things was great, not only for a short timeframe.

I read hints and maybe made things harder for myself, like getting myself on top of roofs and gargoyles where I didn't need to be,

Spoiler

Anyway fun map. More ambitious than most contest maps. I liked The Sword homage.

I guess there is always a higher point... But glad you found it anyway^^

#38 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4331 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

Having completed the game, I poked around with NOCLIP,

Spoiler

That's... uh... an unfortunate oversight. I usually start my projects from the premade startpack found on the wiki, which has a few things set up for you to save time. One of those things is a valuable crown you can use as your default loot item. I forgot all about it, and it stayed in by accident.

#39 Aosys

Aosys

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:52 PM

Well, after playing this mission and then spending some time ruminating on it, I thought I'd go ahead and share a review? First time doing this, so here goes nothing...

Spoiler

Overall, wonderfully done, and thanks for the mission!

Also, here's a challenge, for anyone who wants one:

Spoiler

• Melan and nbohr1more like this

#40 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4331 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:46 AM

Thank you for your review, Aosys! I will do a small bugfix release once the contest is over, and will consider your points.

And yeah, that's quite an accomplishment... not to mention an appropriate place! ;)

#41 Bob Necro

Bob Necro

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

Okay, this'n would be my pick for Best in Show for this contest.

Some reflections on my scores:

Appearance: 4

Nice and grimy, architecture is interesting to explore and has quite a believable organic feel. Some minor quibbles keeping it from full points include the use of the bland stock TDM skybox, which I've never liked, some minor Z-fighting and and a few decals poking out on opposite sides of walls.

Gameplay: 3

In actuality a 4, but a point docked for sub-par performance. The clocktower in particular dropped my framerate into single digits. Of course, my paleolithic hardware is partly to blame, but the vast majority of TDM missions run without complaint for me, and poor performance is something of an unfortunate trademark of your otherwise brilliant missions, so...

Other than that, the aforementioned exploration and atmosphere are top notch as always, AI challenge felt just about right, and the rats (triumphant) actually proved something more than mere window dressing:

Spoiler

Halloween: 3

Ehh, nothing wrong as such, I just happen to find the Dark Mod zombies very unscary, and the spook factor kind of falls down flat because of that foundation. Some nice touches though, such as

Spoiler
and the readables were well written as always.

Although, that one font can just feck off.

• Melan, Anderson and DevAnj like this

#42 Loa4ever

Loa4ever

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:17 AM

Hello guys,

can anyone giving me a hit abot the paddlock key? I'm sure I am on the right place but it doesn't open :S.

#43 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

You mean ... what do you mean? The key or frobbing the padlock? To open it you clear everything off of it obviously,
Spoiler

Posted Image

#44 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1991 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

There is a problem with that padlock

You need to unlock it with the use key not the frob key

Having unlocked it you can then frob it open

#45 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

I knew this would be a mission with great visuals and attention to detail when I saw Melan, and it certainly was! Especially for something done during a speed build, it was quite impressive. I can't say it did a lot in the scare or surprise department however, and I think the lack of more diverse enemies in more areas was a small downside.

Spoiler

#46 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11591 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Late to the party.

Sort of confused as to where to go. Getting into one of the homes seems to require leaping, which I'm terrible at, and have been unsuccessful in a half-dozen attempts.

Will continue wandering around.

#47 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

Late to the party.

Sort of confused as to where to go. Getting into one of the homes seems to require leaping, which I'm terrible at, and have been unsuccessful in a half-dozen attempts.

Will continue wandering around.

Spoiler

#48 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11591 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

Spoiler

#49 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11591 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

Was unable to finish this one.

#50 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

I really ejoyed your mission, Melan :-)

I like your visual style and how you create roof path :-D

Thank you so much!

• Melan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: halloween contest, contest, horror, undead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users