Photo

Fan Mission: The Rats Triumphant by Melan (2015/10/31)

halloween contest contest horror undead

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: The Rats Triumphant by Melan (2015/10/31) (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Appearance

1. Poor (1) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Could be better (2) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Average (3) (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Good (4) (8 votes [25.81%])

Percentage of vote: 25.81%

5. Great (5) (22 votes [70.97%])

Percentage of vote: 70.97%

Gameplay

2. Could be better (2) (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. Average (3) (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

4. Good (4) (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

5. Great (5) (14 votes [45.16%])

Percentage of vote: 45.16%

Halloween

2. Could be better (2) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Average (3) (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

4. Good (4) (7 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

5. Great (5) (21 votes [67.74%])

Percentage of vote: 67.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

I completed this on expert difficulty. Loved it. Melan is probably the zenith of TDM authors. The mysterious style of not completing the story through words, but allowing the visuals to tell the player what has happened. 

Spoiler

All in all, this is a splendid mission for a speed build, and I hope that you will build more speed builds Melan, as they are very productive for the community to gather and rally behind when they come at such a high quality. 

Edited by Deadlove, 07 February 2016 - 02:31 PM.

• Ladro likes this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#52 Tarhiel

Tarhiel

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

Sotha: Thanks for the honest feedback! The design decisions you criticise are intentional, although they are of course legitimate to question.

Spoiler

That's my reasoning anyway. TL;DR and non-spoilery: this FM is an experiment in designing a horror experience that creates unease, a sense of confinement, and uncertainty in the player.

Interesting, I had no idea it was vague on purpose, because I didn´t feel it as vague, rather typical "put pieces of puzzle together and make a whole picture, clues are out there" as a good Thief player should ;)

Spoiler

So far, my favourite mission out of the last few missions.

Also, level design in this one is sweet :)

Last three (newest) missions to go.

Edited by Tarhiel, 28 March 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#53 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for your comment, Tarhiel! That is a well thought out interpretation. :) Not entirely identical with mine, but you are on a good track.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#54 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

Lovely, frightful level oozing with atmosphere.

If I missed any notes that weren't the standard note-on-a-door listing that the occupant is infected, let me know.

Spoiler

Edited by V-Man339, 30 August 2016 - 08:12 AM.

• Melan and Anderson like this

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#55 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Oh... that crown!  :ph34r: That's the price of building something in such a small amount of time. You try to think up the story and implement features as the clock is ticking, race furiously to correct a host of problems, scrap a part of the mission you had in mind, test, retest, revise, retest again, hit the release button, sigh in relief, then slip on a banana peel and break your neck.  ;)

Some smooth taffing there!

• Bikerdude likes this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#56 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

Well blugger me, I didnt even see that loot near the start, well spotted!

And smooth taffing indeed, with brings back memories. That bloody attic @8:15, man I spent ages trying to get that bloody thing to seal. In the end I had to completly rebuild that whole roof section.

#57 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

Well blugger me, I didnt even see that loot near the start, well spotted!

And smooth taffing indeed, with brings back memories. That bloody attic @8:15, man I spent ages trying to get that bloody thing to seal. In the end I had to completly rebuild that whole roof section.

To be fair this is not a blind run, this is around the third or fourth run through the level.

I don't do blind, I do rehearsed perfectionist runs.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#58 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1185 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

This was super fun. The geometry of the place was very fun to explore. Good use of  interesting verticality, with fun jumps to take. And I'm a sucker for good use of physics too!

At one point I heard 

Spoiler

#59 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4355 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

Thanks! And nope, not a bug. :)

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: halloween contest, contest, horror, undead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users