The Dark Mod Forums

Decal request: White dirt/slime

Bikerdude

Ok, I'll bite.

Just out of curiosity (sorry for the OT), but what does that sentence mean? I cannot find any translation that makes sense. Is it something like "Okay, I didn't say anything!" ?

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

It's an additive blend. This is the easiest way to achieve this effect, but the downside is that it can even be seen in the dark. A better approach would be a shader program allowing to filter images brighter.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's an additive blend. This is the easiest way to achieve this effect, but the downside is that it can even be seen in the dark.

Right, additive blends are the only way that I know of to do it, but that's what I meant by "don't react to light properly". You could probably get away with using them somewhere next to a permanent light source, but anywhere else they will glow in the dark.

Just out of curiosity (sorry for the OT), but what does that sentence mean? I

It's a colloquialism that comes from fishing, referring to the moment the fish decides to bite the hook. It basically means that someone has shown you something that catches your interest (but without explaining it), and you would like to know more.

How's this (at the top of the wall)?

post-35144-0-55035100-1505834643_thumb.png

(Of course, for it to look really like slime and not just dirt there's the question of specularity. In my test map it seems to catch highlights quite nicely, but presumably that depends on the material behind it. It looks as though it's accentuating the whiteness of the mortar in this case.)

Edit: my attachment mysteriously went missing, so I'm trying to re-add it.

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

textures/darkmod/decals/dirt/dirt_edges_pale
{

DECAL_MACRO
	noimpact
	translucent

{
		blend GL_DST_COLOR, GL_SRC_COLOR
		map invertColor(textures/darkmod/decals/dirt/dirt_edges)
	}

}

I just took textures/darkmod/decals/dirt/dirt_edges and inserted an invertColor().

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

If it's not a blend, it will be completely opaque and you won't see any of the brick underneath. It wouldn't look believable.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of something else. There is a pure add image function that works like add normals. I wonder if we could use

Diffusemap

Map add( some texture, _currentRender)

Probably would have weird scaling (or won't work at all)...

Worth a try tomorrow...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...

Honestly, what I'd love with those sort of decals is if a source texture's bump map could affect the decal, like you see in those Wolfenstein screnshots. That would make grime decals 10x more believable. Bumping because I was looking into this too and I don't think you can do it with blend tricks in the material, might need a separate vertex program for that, which is wholly out of my league.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Honestly, what I'd love with those sort of decals is if a source texture's bump map could affect the decal, like you see in those Wolfenstein screnshots. That would make grime decals 10x more believable. Bumping because I was looking into this too and I don't think you can do it with blend tricks in the material, might need a separate vertex program for that, which is wholly out of my league.

I'm pretty sure they can do that already just with a tweak to the material definition, no special shader program needed, although we probably haven't implemented it for decals yet. We recently discovered that we can have light-interacting translucent materials complete with specular and bump maps. Obsttorte and Arcturus were the first to come up with it I think. It was always possible in the engine, but it has somehow been common "knowledge" from the beginning of idtech4 that it isn't possible -- which it turns out isn't true.

Just add the "translucent" keyword to the global section of a material, and then add bump and diffuse stages (required), and a specular stage (optional).

There's a limitation: your material will be drawn as an additive blend over the top of the background, so it will only brighten. Black parts of the texture (diffuse map) will add nothing and not be visible at all. Those are your transparent regions.

You could possibly use a filtering blend before your lit stage to darken the background. That might be possible by manipulating the same diffuse map using a combination of invertColor(makeIntensity(<diffusemap>)), and I suspect the scale() function could be embedded too to completely blacken out the background where the decal has any colour. It's not complete freedom, but there's a fair amount of flexibility there.

EDIT: I haven't tested the last point. A filtering blend will work only if the engine draws the layers in that order. It just occurred to me that light interactions probably get drawn before any blend stages no matter which order you put them in the material, which would mess things up for darkening the background.

Edited by SteveL

I can provide source images for this sort of thing if people are interested in converting them into textures. Also, I've got a subscription at textures.com, so if there is anything I can help with in a higher resolution, I can provide it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well if you set the diffuse to _black, you can make decals that only apply a bump/specular map, which is pretty nice! I can imagine a specular decal could be used for wet spots on walls/floors, and you can probably do fancy stuff like animate the texture too.

However, say you have white slime on bricks, your diffusemap would be the slime and your bumpmap would be the brick normal map - but then put it on top of the brick and you have two brick bump maps overlapping - and for the trouble of aligning them in DR you may as well put the decal into the brick diffuse texture instead.

How I imagine it in its simplest form, the decal would render its diffusemap in front of other materials, but let other materials' bumpmaps render in front of it.

Slightly unrelated: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=DDS_creation states that we currently don't support soft blending transparency, but this isn't true, saving a DXT 3 with an Alpha and using that with a "blend blend" then "map <the dds>" allows for smooth gradient alpha.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

That sounds interesting... what do you mean?

Oh well that's a screenshot of Wolfenstein: The New Order which utilizes all Megatexture detailed surfaces. As most of you already know I'm going to attempt a Megatexture (or several thereof) for my current project. Wolfen-NO has all that overhead room for extreme detailing so all they have to worry about finicky blending options for the world details. I'm not completely certain how their actual toolset works, but you're supposed to be able to slap anything onto a surface and then just save the details into the Megatexture you have loaded for your current level. So no matter how detailed the material is in the editor, it all gets baked down into diff/norm/spec information in the end.

What interested me in this decals bit is having other options. Say for instance if I just wanted to make a cool detail for one part (without making a whole texture sheet for that part of the map) I could just add decals per instance where needed. The obvious downside to the Megatexture's all unique surface detailing is that it's huge in file size no matter what. My plans are to only commit large geometrical faces (that are being tiled). So I'm more like Megatexture v0.5 as far as the theory is concerned. The optional decal method is just really handy if you're trying to sidestep the massive undertaking of manually created Megatextures.

Edited by Epifire

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything