The Dark Mod Forums

Lighting torches in correct order puzzle

kingsal

Hey All,

I am working on a puzzle for my level in which the player must light 3 torches in the correct order.

If they light them in the wrong order the puzzle resets. If they extinguish any of the torches the puzzle resets.

I attempted to do it through the objectives menu, but ran into trouble. I currently have stim/responses set up on all three torches to know when they are lit or extinguished, but I can't seem to figure out a way to make the sequence puzzle part work.

Does anyone know of a way to do this using scripts or a series of entities. The help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

something like this

candleOne = FALSE;
candleTwo = FALSE;
candleThree = FALSE;

void turnOffCandle()
{
candleOne = FALSE;
candleTwo = FALSE;
candleThree = FALSE;
//put code here to turn off all lit candles
}

void sequenceCorrect()
{
if ( candleOne && candleTwo && candleThree )
{
//put code here to do something that does something when candles sequence correct
}
}

//sequence 213

//run CandleCheckOne from first candle
void CandleCheckOne()
{
if ( !candleOne && candleTwo && !candleThree )
{
candleOne = TRUE;
sequenceCorrect();
}
else
{
turnOffCandle();
}
}

//run CandleCheckTwo from second candle
void CandleCheckTwo()
{
if ( !candleOne && !candleTwo && !candleThree )
{
candleTwo = TRUE;
sequenceCorrect();
}
else
{
turnOffCandle();
}
}

//run CandleCheckThree from third candle
void CandleCheckThree()
{
if ( candleOne && candleTwo && !candleThree )
{
candleThree = True;
sequenceCorrect();
}
else
{
turnOffCandle();
}
}

The script looks quite good, couldn't have done it myself, but if I see it correctly the script you posted resets the candles as soon as the first candle is lit in the wrong order. If I understood correctly, kingsal wants all three candles to be lit and then to check if the order was correct.

how about this

candleOne = FALSE;
candleTwo = FALSE;
candleThree = FALSE;
sequenceState = FALSE;

void turnOffCandle()
{
candleOne = FALSE;
candleTwo = FALSE;
candleThree = FALSE;
//put code here to turn off all lit candles
}

void sequenceCorrect()
{
if ( candleOne && candleTwo && candleThree && sequenceState )
{
//put code here to do something that does something when candles sequence correct
}
else if ( candleOne && candleTwo && candleThree && !sequenceState )
{
turnOffCandle();
}
}

//sequence 213

//run CandleCheckOne from first candle
void CandleCheckOne()
{
if ( !candleOne && candleTwo && !candleThree )
{
candleOne = TRUE;
sequenceCorrect();
}
else
{
sequenceState = FALSE;
//turnOffCandle();
}
}

//run CandleCheckTwo from second candle
void CandleCheckTwo()
{
if ( !candleOne && !candleTwo && !candleThree )
{
candleTwo = TRUE;
sequenceCorrect();
}
else
{
sequenceState = FALSE;
//turnOffCandle();
}
}

//run CandleCheckThree from third candle
void CandleCheckThree()
{
if ( candleOne && candleTwo && !candleThree )
{
candleThree = TRUE;
sequenceState = TRUE
sequenceCorrect();
}
else
{
sequenceState = FALSE;

//turnOffCandle();
sequenceCorrect();
}
}

Edited by stumpy

Hey Guys! I don't know enough about scripting to read Stumpy's post without trying it out in-game, but I will certainly test it out once I hook up the script.

The script looks quite good, couldn't have done it myself, but if I see it correctly the script you posted resets the candles as soon as the first candle is lit in the wrong order. If I understood correctly, kingsal wants all three candles to be lit and then to check if the order was correct.

Yeah I imagine the sequence is checked after the three candles are lit and extinguishes all three of them if they are incorrect. This way the player can keep trying different sequences and then realize they need a clue to solve the puzzle. (Light candles in this order readable).

The two outcomes would ideally fire a trigger_relay. I have them currently set up this way:

torch_relay_correct- Plays a sound or signal to the player that they've done the sequence in the correct order and triggers a hidden objective.

torch_relay_incorrect- Resets the candles by extinguishing them. Although this might be handled in the script itself?

So in effect, the player will keep trying combinations of three until they've done it correctly (ideally lighting and relighting the same candle will not count towards the combination, unlike it would in a keypad for instance with combo 112)