The Dark Mod Forums

One song ambience?

Deadlove

Is there way to set up a stereo ogg file to just play a song on repeat for the duration of a mission at a certain volume?

No other ambient music, just that one song.

Not ambient zone to zone, but set the zone for the ambient to be the entire map, so no matter where the player is, it only one song that plays uninterrupted for the entire duration of play time? Is this possible? How would go about to achieve this?

Check the location system script. As long as you don't use the location entity you can just create a map script playing the ambient. If you need the location entity, you can also alter its script if needed so the ambient doesn't change if no new ambient is specified.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Check the location system script. As long as you don't use the location entity you can just create a map script playing the ambient. If you need the location entity, you can also alter its script if needed so the ambient doesn't change if no new ambient is specified.

Can the map script can be in a separate file from the mission pk4? There might be a desire for a third-party utility that packs an audio file and then launches TDM.

I played the Elder Scrolls games with the Thief G/2 and CoSaS soundtracks added to the game.

If you only want a single ambient that never changes you don't need to mess around with scripts or location systems. Just create a single speaker with the looping ambient, set the volume appropriately and set the s_global spawnarg so that the volume doesn't change based on distance. You'll also need to make sure that the speaker radius is large enough to cover the entire map, since the default radius is fairly small.

• Like 3

If you only want a single ambient that never changes you don't need to mess around with scripts or location systems. Just create a single speaker with the looping ambient, set the volume appropriately and set the s_global spawnarg so that the volume doesn't change based on distance. You'll also need to make sure that the speaker radius is large enough to cover the entire map, since the default radius is fairly small.

Is it really that easy? I was imagining something of that nature, but never expected it to work on a common sense line of thinking.

Is it really that easy? I was imagining something of that nature, but never expected it to work on a common sense line of thinking.

Yes, it is. A single ambient audible from everywhere is literally the easiest possible setup. Multiple speakers with fading distance-based ambients is the second simplest, and this is what was used in Doom 3. The complexity only appears when you want the Thief-style area-based ambients that are popular in Dark Mod missions.

• Like 2