The Dark Mod Forums

Announcing HERESY, a campaign for TDM

Deadlove

Wow that sounds like an ambitious plan! :)

Not really, just minimal guard puzzles, lots of strategy (environment), and a lot of wandering and reading a lot of back story. Surrounded by of corpse, TDM's gorgeous graphix. But thank you!

Some would already argue that AMNESIA was already made, but AMNESIA didn't have rope arrows.

• Like 1

TDM offers so much variety with objectives and exploration, including the beautiful graogics. Because of the story telling qualitues, a real mystery I have imagined and I am thrilled to carve out my own parts of Bridgeport.

Also, so many objectives that I've never heard of used will be, at least in a different way. For example, knocking out an upcoming role model guard and needing to transport his body to a place he shouldn't be for a jealous associate who wants to see his career take a turn for the worse. Maybe to a murder scene set by another associate or even you have asinate yourself?

Ideas...

Edited by Deadlove

ALSO, IMPORTANT:

THIS CAMPAIGN WILL ONLY HAVE ONE DIFFICYLTY SKILL.

Objectives are not mandatory will all be listed as optional, or as tips if I decide to use TDM store.

ALSO, IMPORTANT:

THIS CAMPAIGN WILL ONLY HAVE ONE DIFFICYLTY SKILL.

Then you've pretty much alienated 50% of your potential audience right off the bat. Either half of players will find the mission too easy, or half of them will find it too difficult.

You might want to re-think that approach. Difficulty settings exist for a good reason.

• Like 1

Difficulty doesn't have to be timing AI patrols, or creeping on floors. Every play Portal? That game required a lot of thinking, and was difficult, and didn't have a single enemy.

If I remember correctly, both Moonbo's Requiem and House Of Locked Secrets only have one skill to play the game on.

Be aware that there are automatic adjustments made by difficulty level, even if the mapper keeps difficulty out of his choices. AI health, for example.

This makes sense to implement. Otherwise I often check the difficulties and most of the time the only difference is the loot!

Be aware that there are automatic adjustments made by difficulty level,

There are? I'm in favour of having difficulty levels affect things, but I didn't realize they already did. I thought only combat difficulty affected AI health. What other global factors are adjusted by difficulty level?

Be aware that there are automatic adjustments made by difficulty level, even if the mapper keeps difficulty out of his choices. AI health, for example.

I was not aware of that either, but i'll take that into consideration next time doing objectives.

AI health is adjusted by an offset in the melee def. Each melee def comes in three flavors: normal, hard, and expert, to correspond with the difficulty levels.

I used that as an example that--even though the objectives don't show any differences based on difficulty settings--there can be aspects of the game hidden from the player that are affected by difficulty level.

I don't know what else might be affected. It took a while to winkle out this one.

AI health is adjusted by an offset in the melee def. Each melee def comes in three flavors: normal, hard, and expert, to correspond with the difficulty levels.

Unless I'm mistaken, that doesn't have anything to do with mission difficulty levels. It's set by the Combat difficulty level chosen by the player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the house that Jack built.
And this is the house that Jack burnt down.
Some might say Jack shit.
Some might see the Jackal.
A jack of all trades, playing cards that were dealt in my hand.
Can't help that it got you jacked the fuck up.
Guess that just how it is when see the Jack in the box.
It's one of the many names you can to look for when you're looking to find it,
The guest always present but never noticed,
There's a long and hard road out of Hell,
But a much shorter and easier ticket into it.
Jack is sick of getting jacked off,
Having to jack Jill off.
Go up the hill and fill up a pail of water
Jack will burn the down and kill the whole world.

Meet Jack Palmer, the protagonist to HERESY. :-)

Jack is an assassin character!

• Like 1

Having to jack Jill off.

Why doesn't Jack the Ripper get any love? There's Jack and the Beanstalk too. Don't forget Jumping Jack Flash.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Having to jack Jill off.

Rodion Raskolinikov B)

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Interesting news. I'll definitely like to see more on it's progress.

Due to my inexperience with Dark Radiant I've held off on my own thoughts of grandeur with my own mission ideas. Something I've kept in mind (if I do end up getting better with DR) is that I wanted to devise my missions in a set order of story but still allow them to be great standalone situations. I mean life being what it is, can be a finicky one. So splitting up a story between fun and engaging, "Episodes" felt like a good way to ensure at least part of it gets done.

I've had an idea for a starting mission that's just based around nabbing information from a scientist for a local Guild. And while breaking in you overhear him arguing to a second fellow about a device he built that he wont hand over. The scientist is killed and you're still able to get your much needed loot, but at the same time you get some interesting info to work off of for the next installment. The second one in mind is where you go to steal from the other guy who killed your scientist in the first installment. They're fairly simple in my head, but sweet and to the point. Lots of custom artwork and audio to go into that, so it would still be quite the ordeal to complete.

Pretty much voicing what's already been stated but I'd still recommend working on parts of the campaign and taking them one at a time.

Edited by Epifire
  • Like 3

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Little Johnny lost a tooth and he imagines the tooth fairy is going to bring him money in trade.

You know this because you overheard his father telling his mother that he just switched out the tooth for money and Johnny will be so surprised when he wakes up.

Who wants to steal the coin that little Johnny's parents hid under his pillow while he sleeps?

Edited by Deadlove
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting visuals. Adding a few less cubical elements would make it less rectangular. Perhaps a pile of dust on the floor? (prefabs/nature) Some debris? (objects/junk)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The color, textures, and lighting are solid concepts.

I'd be tempted to either model that alter or use patches to rough it up, but still looks good.

I get an undead vibe from this.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Demagogue, I plan to use some grime / blood smears on the altar. Are patches and decals separate things? Do they both work by adding a texture to a brush or is a patch a pre-determined object that cannot be stretched around like wallpaper like is possible with decals?

Also, thanks Melan for pointing out where the folder location in DR I can find some models that can be added to spice up the scene. I would say "liven up the scene" but it looks way to dead and I want to make it look more dead. :laugh:

I am trying to for this is not going to be as much undead as a abandoned catacomb type plunge, but it's planned to be both...think Bonehoard meets Haunted Cathedral.

I would like to introduce some pagan elements like the glowing symbols + other objects that Shadowhide used in Deceptive Shadows.

Also I'm not done, beveling / clipping (?) is something I'm trying to wrap my head around so I can shave off so sharp angles and make the edges on the pillars, altar, etc. more round. I haven't gotten that far yet though.

The working title for the mission is "Glenham Stronghold", where the premise Jack Palmer overhears that Thomas Porter stashed a valuable trinket (not sure what yet...) in this catacomb while he was last seen in those parts to hide it for when he returns next. Jack plans to do successfully what many others have done unsuccessfully, infiltrate the stronghold, get the goods, and make it out alive.

I have to thank Sotha and give him props for giving me permission to use his character / town name and in my premise for the mission. I did this to further intertwine the Bridgepot / TDM world cuz since all of us run together as a family on the forum, we should definitely be planting easter eggs spotting each other's handiwork through the actual FMs too, for those of us deeply involved enough to get the connections. TDM geek mode on full blast this morning.

I'm excited for this mission to start the campaign, but I have no idea for a release date as the completion isn't far enough along to make an educated guess.

1. Are patches and decals separate things? Do they both work by adding a texture to a brush or is a patch a pre-determined object that cannot be stretched around like wallpaper like is possible with decals?

2. Also I'm not done, beveling / clipping (?) is something I'm trying to wrap my head around so I can shave off so sharp angles and make the edges on the pillars, altar, etc. more round. I haven't gotten that far yet though.

1. Decals are a subcategory of patches. Patches are planes, that can be quite extensively modified, because they can have more vertex points than brushes. You can create a patch by creating a brush and then click "create patch" in the patch-menu (a window appears, that asks how many vertex points you want to have). Hitting "v" then shows the vertex points, with which you can deform the patch as you like. The only problem is to get textures look good on deformed patches, as the texture can be very stretched. Decals, on the other hand, are patches with invisible parts, that can be put on brushes. I am not sure if it possible to put decals on other patches. Would have to try it myself first.

2. Apart from clipping you might want to try a function of DR for your pillars: You can select the brush and then use the "prism" function (it asks how many sides the prism should have) to create a brush with sides equal to the number entered. If you choose 8 - 16 sides it appears quite round. I am not sure, what the maximum number of sides is and what higher numbers does to your performancce, but the higher the number, the rounder it appears. It saves a lot of work, when you don't have to clip away a vast number of corners in order to rounden your pillars.

• Like 1