The Dark Mod Forums

New 3D Artist wants to help :)

senka

For architectural pieces, our recent trend is to make them in repeatable pieces (like a few meters rectangular) you can mix and match, rather than a set block for the whole thing. Then the pieces should align with the DR grid at some high grid-number, like divisible by 8. Makes them very versitile for mappers.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Here are some links to the modular models I've been working on, along with some good links to reading material, that might be useful:

(http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14832-modular-building-technique/?p=361394)

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/3118-springheels-stuff/?p=364283

I would like to make one myself but I don't have any idea of programming :/. That's why I am offering my modeling skills for others :)

I believe he was talking to Cambridge spy. Only the first line was addressed to you.

Here are some links to the modular models I've been working on, along with some good links to reading material, that might be useful:

(http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14832-modular-building-technique/?p=361394)

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/3118-springheels-stuff/?p=364283

Thx for the links I will make some models like these when I am back home.

• Like 1

I would like to make one myself but I don't have any idea of programming :/. That's why I am offering my modeling skills for others :)

I guess Stifus post wasn't meant to address you ;)

I like the photos, but can you try to enhance the contrast with something like Gimp or another free software? The first time it is way to dark and the second time, like you said, too bright. The best way would be to scan your document with a scanner in the end. :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I guess Stifus post wasn't meant to address you ;)

I like the photos, but can you try to enhance the contrast with something like Gimp or another free software? The first time it is way to dark and the second time, like you said, too bright. The best way would be to scan your document with a scanner in the end. :)

I would scan my pictures but as I mentioned before my computer isn't working at the moment -.-' this will be fixed during christmas after that I will be able to scan my pictures again.

I know that it wasn't adressed to me but still I wanted to mention that I would like to create a mod - maybe I find a programmer who would like to help me XP.

Edited by senka
  • Like 1

For Modeling you should have a look in the wiki, which has lots of important informations about it :)Let's go there!

Thx, I took a look at the link and couldnt find an answere to my question (or at least I couldn't find it :blush: )... has the "face" to be a triangle or a square:

trinagle_or_square_by_jenniferretzlaff-d

Because some programms prefere either triangles or square or doesn't it matter for the software which you use to build the levels?

Edited by senka
  • Like 1

I think all meshes are triangulated. I see that some parts of your mesh aren't snapping. Have set up your grid to match Dark Radiant's one?

I used the 2,309 cm (1 Doom unit).

But now I have set up the grid squares to 2,309 cm.

Edited by senka
  • Like 1

I really like them, but imho you should not start with a huge variety. Instead, try to make a small set with details we won't manage to build in Dark Radiant. Try to figure out how the export works and what you need to know about the shaders and model skins. This way you won't end up with lots of unfinished models if something gets in your way or the engine is troubling you.

But remember, that's just my opinion. You're free to do whatever you want ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I really like them, but imho you should not start with a huge variety. Instead, try to make a small set with details we won't manage to build in Dark Radiant. Try to figure out how the export works and what you need to know about the shaders and model skins. This way you won't end up with lots of unfinished models if something gets in your way or the engine is troubling you.

But remember, that's just my opinion. You're free to do whatever you want ;)

XD I am just doing so many varities at the moment because I am at work and I can do what ever I want as long as I use 3ds Max ^_^ but they don't have a grapic tablet otherwise I would have started with texturing them :). But then I will start building the high polys for them to create the bump maps later :)

I'd recommend trying to use our existing textures whenever possible, adding AO where necessary.

Also, keep in mind that models are not as flexible as worldspawn geometry, so focus on the parts where models would be useful. Flat parts like the ceiling, for example, could be created more quickly with brushes and the mapper wouldn't have to worry about lining anything up.

• Like 1