The Dark Mod Forums

Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors - by Bikerdude & the Crucible Team (updated 18/12/2015)

Bikerdude

hi everyone!!! I am playing this great mission and I love it so far...

at the basement of the inn there are two stairways ...under one of them is the removable brick... what is under the other one? is an arched space on the wall behind the crate there that looks like is movable but I can't find a lever or something

thank you in advance!!

@Nightchild,

You can't access that part of the basement from there, there are two ways into that location though -

• think coat rack and cupboard on the gnd floor.
  • or think hygiene and oneself, on the 1st floor

thank you for your help.. as a matter of fact I had almost been there but I let it for later and then, forgot it for a while ,, :rolleyes: I love it btw ..you people have done an excellent job and I am also so glad to see that all my opponents seem to be of the living kind too as I hate the "other kind" especially in tdm (but I am sure that the following parts will right this wrong , or vice versa :D )

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded my PC on the weekend and i've been playing through this, very impressed and congratulations to the team as a whole!

I had a couple of issues though with that sound popping problem. I didn't read through the thread as I want to avoid any spoilers but has anyone else had any issue with the popping sound?

• I upgraded my PC on the weekend and i've been playing through this, very impressed and congratulations to the team as a whole!

I didn't read through the thread as I want to avoid any spoilers but has anyone else had any issue with the popping sound?

• Glad your enjoying it :-)

That issue seems to be plaguing some maps (I think only large ones), that and its not happening on ALL the VPs in the map. I'm hoping Steve/Grayman can narrow down what's causing it at some point in the near future.

• Glad your enjoying it :-)
  • That issue seems to be plaguing some maps (I think only large ones), that and its not happening on ALL the VPs in the map. I'm hoping Steve/Grayman can narrow down what's causing it at some point in the near future.

Yeah it only seems to happen with me on large maps as well, I remember having the exact same issue on Moonbo's house of locked secrets. It sounds like an audio jack being loosely inserted and removed.

I could be wrong but wasn't there a fix for this already? I remember reading a while ago either a fix for the issue was implemented in the current TDM or perhaps in an upcoming version.

If it happens only at the start of the game or reload, then I think that's related to my Locations ambient system, which uses by necessity sound fading, and id made it such that fading from silence means you start a sound at full volume, 'instantly' drop it to 0 volume, then fade up. But it's not instant, so there's a pop. I think after the first time it stops (testing suggests it), but happens again when you restart. It's always been there, but not noticable except for a few ambients. I made a special soundshader to solve it with a silent leadin, and I gave directions, but mappers aren't always following it.

The best way to fix it would be to address the fade out function at its source, or I guess rig it so the location system forces a leadin into the soundshader somehow.

Edit. If it really only happens the first time, another possible fix is a preemptive silent fade at the start. I just thought of it. I'll see about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

1. If it happens only at the start of the game or reload, then I think that's related to my Locations ambient system, which uses by necessity sound fading, and id made it such that fading from silence means you start a sound at full volume, 'instantly' drop it to 0 volume, then fade up. But it's not instant, so there's a pop. I think after the first time it stops (testing suggests it), but happens again when you restart. It's always been there, but not noticable except for a few ambients.

I made a special soundshader to solve it with a silent leadin, and I gave directions, but mappers aren't always following it.

The best way to fix it would be to address the fade out function at its source, or I guess rig it so the location system forces a leadin into the soundshader somehow.

Edit. If it really only happens the first time, another possible fix is a preemptive silent fade at the start. I just thought of it. I'll see about it.

1. This should be moved to its own thread, @Springs...?

Ah oops, is this info on the wiki..?

is that something you can fix on the SVN version..?

see above.

The audio popping in Sir Talbot's was due to negative values in the sound mixer calculations. The fix is in v2.04 (SVN).

Does that translate over to this mission and I guess all other large missions as well? because if that's the case i'd rather just wait until 2.04 so I can experience this mission without any popping.

Edited by Goldwell

I think one of SteveL's "no clunking" patches includes this fix too:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17142-picking-up-stuff-without-clunking-it/page-3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I loved this map. It's absolutely fantastic. The vertical design, the lack of pickpocketing, the aesthetics, it's all amazing.

I loved the secret compartments in the desks, the locked crates, and the map that highlighted your progress.

However, it's not perfect, but my gripes are small:

-I don't like the inability to use the equipment screen at the beginning. I don't like using the blackjack or the sword or the lantern, and I'd like to be able to just not bring them in the first place. I understand that this was probably done to keep people from buying things, but surely you can just set the items available to purchase down to nothing?

-Friedt's Manor really looks like it should be robbable. I spent a long time and two mission restarts trying to get inside it, before finally realizing that the doors were all fake.

-There are a LOT of fake doors, and it's not always obvious which ones can and can't be opened. I suggest keeping with the "doorknob = openable" trend, 100%, so you can tell at a distance

-When you enter Shingle Plaza from the Inventor's Guild, there's a short little monologue as you stand in the window. Since you need to drop down somewhat quickly to keep the inventor from seeing you, the monologue keeps you from being able to hear if a guard heard you landing on that wooden beam.

-Shingle Plaza has one way in, and one way only. I was expecting to be able to pass through it to get to another street (since I took the long way around and needed to backtrack for loot.) The map makes it look like you should be able to get to Millgate from there, which is further reinforced by the door that the guard passes through from time to time (which ends up being a dead end)

-Several well-hidden and hard-to-reach windows have no gold inside, just tools, like the gas arrow above Shingle Plaza and the health potion above Cull Street. I don't feel like those tools are enough of a reward.

With that said, I still really love this map, it's definitely my favorite so far. As promised, I'll be releasing a video soon showing all the ways I can find to mantle out of bounds (I've already found one on accident :P)

Edited by Twitch

I hereby grant you, Twitch, the Glenham Tower Climbing Award!

Can I just say that this puts Thief 4's entire hub to absolute shame in terms of just how much vertical design there is going on?
Holy shit.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Simply gorgeous mission! I love all the crevices and slums and different entryways!

One quite big mistake though. If you stand on Finegrim street, by the broken door, there is a rope hanging from a building. I guess it's mainly there to serve as a entryway to the balcony with a bottle. But you can actually scale the roof and when you walk about there, you encounter a massive "outside the boundaries-experience" with an archer.

I have done everything but I cannot exit the mission. Technically I've already finished the mission as I've moved about, north of the wall, as my above spoiler states :)