The Dark Mod Forums

Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors - by Bikerdude & the Crucible Team (updated 18/12/2015)

Bikerdude

Yeah! It's so embarrassing :) I must have seen that door and instinctively thought it wasn't pickable and when I went past the door on my searches my brain just haf checked the box "this door is unpickable"... Looking forward to the bext installment :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm probably going to make a video of this in the future.

But not unlike Alekhine's Gun coverage, I'm holding off until I can cover this in a more positive light.

I feel like this level really, really hits the framerate hard, and until the game is more optimized on the whole I'm going to hold off on actually featuring it on the channel since showing an amazing level at 15-20 frames per second doesn't look too glamorous next to other things on my channel.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Are you referring to just this mission or the mod ..?

What are your system specs..?

Processor Information:

Vendor: GenuineIntel

CPU Family: 0x6

CPU Model: 0x2a

CPU Stepping: 0x7

CPU Type: 0x0

Speed: 3392 Mhz

8 logical processors

4 physical processors

HyperThreading: Supported

FCMOV: Supported

SSE2: Supported

SSE3: Supported

SSSE3: Supported

SSE4a: Unsupported

SSE41: Supported

SSE42: Supported

Network Information:

Network Speed:

Operating System Version:

Windows 7 (64 bit)

NTFS: Supported

Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:

Driver: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll

Driver Version: 15.300.1025.0

DirectX Driver Version: 8.17.10.1429

Driver Date: 17 Nov 2015

OpenGL Version: 4.5

Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz

DirectX Card: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series

VendorID: 0x1002

DeviceID: 0x6939

Number of Monitors: 1

Number of Logical Video Cards: 1

No SLI or Crossfire Detected

Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00" (30.55" diag)

67.7cm x 38.1cm (77.6cm diag)

Primary Bus Type Not Detected

Primary VRAM Not Detected

Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:

Audio device: Speakers (2- Realtek High Defin

Memory:

RAM: 8174 Mb

Miscellaneous:

UI Language: English

Microphone: Not set

Media Type: DVD

Total Hard Disk Space Available: 1233335 Mb

Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 258279 Mb

OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969

Game Controller: None detected

VR Headset: None detected

I'm talking about this level in particular, as any time I look over what I would usually consider a beautiful vista of an alleyway the game's frame rate drips.

This may be an engine limitation, as generally speaking the game's frame rate has always been prone to tank during larger more open areas, especially the more of the level I've already explored and the longer the session goes on.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Driver: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series

Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Primary VRAM Not Detected

The IDtech 4 engine is sub-optimal on AMD cards, and I have logged a ticket with AMD to get this fixed but after waiting over 6 months I gave up.

I quess your running the game at 1920*1080, what in-game settings are you using?

Just to add a data point to this conversation: my system has the following specs, I've very rarely encountered performance problems with TDM, and in particular I've not noticed any issues with this map:

CPU: i5-2500K (4 core)

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

GPU driver: Nvidia version 358.16

Display resolution: 1920x1200

Edited by Araneidae

What in-game settings are you using..?

Lots of settings I don't remember fiddling with, think I need to try turning some of them up!

What's the best way to report them? I've take screenshots in the two interesting Video settings screens, and here are the results:

Video General

Aspect Ratio 16:10

Screen Size 1920x1200

Fullscreen Yes

Vertical Sync was No, will try Yes

Antialiasing 8x

Texture Anisotropy 2x will try more

Video Advanced

Ambient Rendering Enhanced

Interaction Shader Enhanced

Post Processing Disabled will try enabling

Object Details (LOD) Normal will try other settings

Well, I've turned the settings up, but can't really see what the differences are. What's a good (ie challenging) map to try? Crucible of Omens, perhaps (guess we're drifting a trifle off topic, to be honest). Currently have these settings:

Video General

Vertical Sync Yes

Antialiasing 16x

Texture Anisotropy 8x

Video Advanced

Post Processing Enabled

Object Details (LOD) Very high

8x antialiasing and 8x texture anisotropy, with vertical sync on.

Ambient rendering, interaction shader and post processing is all enabled, with object details (LOD) very high.

I've done some performance experiments with AA in TDM.

Running 8x AA using in game settings yields worse performance as opposed to forcing 8xCSAA in the Nvidia Control Panel, and setting in game AA to 1x or 0x.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

8x antialiasing and 8x texture anisotropy, with vertical sync on.

On an AMD card with this engine your already down on perf, wacking the AA upto 8X is just going compound that issue.

Also make sure Vsync is off in this instance.

Running 8x AA using in game settings yields worse performance as opposed to forcing 8xCSAA in the Nvidia Control Panel, and setting in game AA to 1x or 0x.

Interesting, got some comparison Screenshots and FPS..?

@Springheel can you move the perf part of this conversation to a new thread, ta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I savored this mission as a last in my playthrough, mainly because I feared I wouldn´t be able to enjoy it properly on my then low-end machine.

Meanwhile, my long awaited new computer arrived, so I was able to enjoy it without a hitch and I can´t even begin to tell how enjoyable it is to play a mission of this size on a smooth framerate.

And a mission itself?

There haven´t been done a mission of this scope yet, not in Darkmod.

There were missions which had parts of either leveldesign (Return to the City comes to mind) or loot dispersion used like this and they seemed like a promises of things to come, but never in such a grand scale - this is that promise come true.

Leveldesign is simply fantastic, story gripped you and I am curious as to how it will unfold.

There are many points of entry and I am sure there are streets I haven´t been, judging by the map, yet I played this mission for 6 and a half hour straight!

This must have been an enormous amount of work and bugfixing (thanks, Bikerdude and team!).

If the rest of the missions in Crucible of Omens will be of this quality, we are in for a treat.

5 out of 5, without hesitation.

Couple of missing/translucent textures (visportals?) here and there, but nothing to write home about.

Oh and that bug with unfrobabble loot in a locked kitchen cupboard it´s still there - I am sure I have the newest version, judging by the size of the file.

Yup, just checked - 1.3.1 version.

Edited by Tarhiel

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome misson. Spent most of the day playing it. Always love anything BD does.

]Only issue was I got stuck. In the lounge room with two red sofa's facing each other

with a table between and steps going down to I assume the front door. By the steps

was a small table and chairs, and I got stuck between two chairs and the wall. Had to

reload, not really a problem. The only other flaw I could find was in the vents where

you climp up to get to the lady's secret room. If you go back in the vent, cross the drop

and climb the small vent ramp, up there is a z fighting texture. Minor issue and given

the size of the map that there were only two tiny issues is amazing Also there

was an unfrobbable loot in a box in the kitchen I think.

Just loved the map, found it really interesting and challenging. (side note AI seem harder now in 2.03).

The decor was just gorgeous and whoever did the glass ceiling, I just love it.

Awesome level. 10/10

One questioin. I got the feeling this was a 2nd part to a series, is this true?

Ven

PS: Is there any way to change my username here? I'd much rather use my YouTube name.

Edited by Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• Also there was an unfrobbable loot in a box in the kitchen I think.
  • The decor was just gorgeous and whoever did the glass ceiling, I just love it.
  • One question. I got the feeling this was a 2nd part to a series, is this true?
  • PS: Is there any way to change my username here? I'd much rather use my YouTube name.
  • Its a mod bug, just lean in and the right angle/amount and the loot with highlight.
  • That would me, the landing and master bedroom ceiling windows were just patched based Func-static.
  • Its the first part in the series, the prolugue.
  • Yes, create another account and I can merge this one with the new one - I havent done this before, so this will be the first time.

But glad you enjoyed the mission, because another mission that Melan and I are working on PennyDreadFull 3 is almost the same size and complexity as BCD :-)

Thanks Bikerdude can't wait for the next one. When I get the username stuff sorted will let u know. Thx

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...

While the mod shows promise the controls seem a bit buggy and unresponsive for me... not sure if its the mod or my key-mappings but considering I've been using the default ones, and they've worked just fine with every other FM I've played, I'm willing to assume the issue lies with the mod itself. An example of what I'm talking about: any intractable object that I grab keeps dropping as soon as I pick them up. This makes it extremely difficult for me to put out candles to conceal my presence. What can I do to fix this?

Not sure if its necessary here but my specs:
i5 3330 - 3.0GHz
GTX 660 OC - 2GB
8GB RAM

Both the TDM launcher and the mission are up-to-date (as far as I know).

Edited by IvoryOwl

While the mod shows promise the controls seem a bit buggy and unresponsive for me... not sure if its the mod or my key-mappings but considering I've been using the default ones, and they've worked just fine with every other FM I've played, I'm willing to assume the issue lies with the mod itself. An example of what I'm talking about: any intractable object that I grab keeps dropping as soon as I pick them up. This makes it extremely difficult for me to put out candles to conceal my presence. What can I do to fix this?

Not sure if its necessary here but my specs:

i5 3330 - 3.0GHz

GTX 660 OC - 2GB

8GB RAM

Both the TDM launcher and the mission are up-to-date (as far as I know).

Object handling will be improved in 2.04 (due shortly) until then try the no-clunking patch:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17142-picking-up-stuff-without-clunking-it/page-3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 months later...

Likewise completed this just now.

Encountered the same issue as some other people before 2.03 with the mission end trigger not working.

I'll allow myself to be a little more critical. Despite this I am of the highest opinion of this FM. A few ideas to illustrate the weak points.

First of all - brilliant intro video! It feels like a minute of attention even if it would be a short 20 sec one with just obscure sillhouetes. I love these vibes.

The whole mission took me months to complete because of the setback on the update and simply some trouble with the PC. It was a fantastic sprawling mission deeply enjoyed.

The stressing on the verticality of the whole thing was most ingenious though it's definately not a favourite for me. It reminds of the Thieves Highway that brings some reminiscing from the classic Thief games.

One thing all of this brought the point for was that it felt a little claushtrophobic! A lot of doors that have knobs give the illusion that more can be opened, and when all of a sudden it's not - it's restrictive. Makes for a lot of running in circles. In particular in many paths where there's no turning back.

The level being as large as it is... was the choice of making each alley small intentional? I thought the approach was cool, the manors were brilliant masterpieces (though again, some doors confusingly led to believe that some places can be approached).

To me the strongest point was the verticality and the story.

Speaking of videos again and their storytelling role - had a brief outro video been placed at the end, even with shadows and a few phrases on how was it to get back from this quarter of the city, it would simply be a cherry on the cake for the player's final impressions. Even without the technical CGI-ishness a lot of games do.

The gameplay was excellent as well, it's just a personal bias that probably some people have against verticality and the restrictions in brings in terms of manouvering spacing. I don't know where I'm getting this feeling. Somewhere it's almost like even the verticality Deadly Shadows had felt more open (despite places like the Old Quarter or South Quarter rooftops actually being really, really tiny).

One more thing - the place was too colourful for my taste. The streets should've been dirtier while the insides keep the comfy-ness that is well placed.

Bravo to all those involved.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck at the finish...

Hit all the objectives, and now i'm standing at what is supposed to be the "extraction point" in Alodric Mansion, but, somehow, the exit isn't triggered. Or i've missed a switch, or anything which is supposed to open that gate. Anderson pointed out in the thread about the 2.04 update that it's supposed to fix something with the end of this mission. Could that be the problem? I do have version 2.04 of Dark Mod though. Please, help. :D

Yeah, i think i've actually been there, at least it

initiated the protagonist saying "Aha, this will be a nice way to exit then" or something like that. I then went back, because i hadn't finished all objectives already, and went back later, but it doesn't seem to trigger the mission end now... as i wrote, maybe i'm missing something.