52 replies to this topic

#51 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

Hergestellt in Deutschland - nice example haha :D

Regarding footstep sounds, the footstep sound associated with texture: textures/darkmod/nature/dirt/dry_earth_muddy is a wet mud sound, not a dry sound as you'd expect.
I have no idea how to go about switching it for the dry one, so I am using a nodraw sound solid patch to "overwrite" it in map.

Are you sure this is actually used in game? We have a lot of sounds not used ingame and I believe that the common dirt sounds will be used instead of the mud sounds you posted, but I am not 100% sure.
You can type s_drawsounds 1 in the console to see what shader is being used.

Edited by SeriousToni, 12 March 2016 - 07:26 AM.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#52 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

Sorry if I offended someone. It wasn't my intention. I meant that it was fun to throw around ragdolls in-game, not suicides.

I suppose it makes sense that 70-80% of a lot of effects, sounds, are just well edited pieces conveniently well placed in motion pictures and games.

As always a careful balance of realism and the most appropriate choice for the game itself is the preferable option. The Dark Mod as the subject at hand was never a Hollywood-like, big buget, AAA project - my point being plainly that if the sound is not overdone, but a little enhanced (for the purpose of the experience being better overall) it's alright. 

Edited by Anderson, 12 March 2016 - 07:32 AM.

• teh_saccade likes this

#53 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

That I am trying to do my best ^_^ And of course making little trailers with Windows movie maker is always fun  :D 

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users