The Dark Mod Forums

New Footstep sounds

SeriousToni

A friend of mine recorded some snow footsteps last new year's, might fit with the new ones you made here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzxxd-sRPky_ZXd1THFhTUtRYnc/view?usp=sharing

That, and it would also be a sufficiently good idea to see what could be done with the stock wood door close/open sound. To me the Thief sounds again were much better. Especially in Thief DS. They had that small screeching. Not too much and just enough to be atmospheric. The door has to feel as a more massive thing and not just some generic household accessory. It doesn't have currently the oomph for being part a good sound system in TDM as a whole, adds to the weakness.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Reworking the object assets apart from he AI would be a completely new topic to face. If I find the time for doing so, I will open up a new thread with the results, but currently I cannot say anything about that :(

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 weeks later...

We need one of your footstep sounds of a thief walking on ceramic (clay) roof tiles. It makes a very distinctive sound that is missing.

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...

Also, if I was a thief, I would go out thieving wearing soft shoes, not those with hard soles. lol

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thieves don't go on the job out of good life mayhaps.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I just wanted to say that you're free to do as you please with the snow footstep clips, if they can be used.

• Like 1

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

• 4 years later...

Hi,

In my opinion TDM does very well in the audio department therefore congratulations to the developers, modders, sound producers and editors. Thanks for your great work.

I may have some remarks about how some sounds are implemented but I am talking about the actual sound files here.

I noticed some missions alter footsteps and other core sounds and I appreciate the effort for a change although it is arguable whether a particular sound is an improvement or not since, I guess, it is a matter of taste.

The only sounds I could never get used to and make me cringe every time are the footsteps on water. I don't know if my eardrums are fubar or what but you won't hear me often saying: I hate the core footsteps on water.

Luckily, member SeriousToni came to my rescue.

I downloaded his Footstep Update V3 (you can find the link below), borrowed the following water sounds:

sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_jump_land01.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_jump_land02.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_jump_land03.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_jump_land04.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_run01.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_run02.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_run03.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_run04.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_run05.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_walk01.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_walk02.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_walk03.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_walk04.ogg
sound\sfx\movement\footsteps\player\water_walk05.ogg

And oh boy, what a difference.

Thanks for sharing your sound mod, @SeriousToni!

TDM Modpack 4.0