The Dark Mod Forums

What programs do you use to create with Dark Mod?

Deadlove

I figure a thread that lists the different programs besides Dark Radiant would be helpful.

For example:

Sound Effects - Audacity

3d Animation - Blender

Tiles - Photoshop

Stuff like that...then I'll take everyone's replies and put them in this top post so other members of the community can be informed on what are the best programs to use when creating for TDM.

• Like 1

Softimage|XSI - Modeling and Baking

Mudbox|2015 - Highres sculpting (mainly for organic based assets)

Substance Painter - Texture Creation and detailing

Photoshop CC - Additional Texturing and Signage

I use a custom shader for Substance so that I can better develop for older texturing pipelines. Interesting thing to jerryrig a PBR based application to do your own bidding but the results are still awesome.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

3d Animation - Blender

This in particular would be really helpful. I tried to get into Blender but couldn't figure out how to set it up quite right. There also seemed to be a lot of discussion a while ago as to which version would work the best, and I remember Arcturus mentioning having to do a certain operation in one version before converting it to another version to do something else (if that makes sense).

This in particular would be really helpful. I tried to get into Blender but couldn't figure out how to set it up quite right. There also seemed to be a lot of discussion a while ago as to which version would work the best, and I remember Arcturus mentioning having to do a certain operation in one version before converting it to another version to do something else (if that makes sense).

I actually have to finalize my exported lwo files through Blender before they're complete. I've found Softimage is really bad at being compatible with the id4 friendly file types. Any lwo file exported from Softimage has broken smoothing for some reason. So I have to run it through Blender as a last step to apply generic smoothing. Ase files are just plain messy in my honest opinion. Having to go in and edit them a second time seemed like more work than needed but either option I have presents some extra work.

As I only use Blender (for literally one operation) I didn't feel it was enough to include it on my list. :P

Edited by Epifire

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Im working on several tdm installers.

Im using:

Virtual system environment - virtualbox, playonmac, playonlinux

Operating systems - Windows 7/10, mac os x, opensuse, ubuntu

Installer creators - nsis, iceberg, dpkg-deb, rpmbuild

Text editors - notepad++, textwrangler, vi, nano

File Explorer - totalcommander, krusader

Image editors - ms paint, paint.net

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Editor: Darkradiant 1.8.1

Sound editors: Goldwave mostly and a little of audacity

Image editor: gimp and sometimes paint / paint.net

Models & animation: Blender (only to tweak colors/sizes & export)

Text editor: notepad++

PK4's: Winrar

Video editor: Sony Vegas Pro 12

Its funny I never really noticed how many programs are used to create an FM. Its also very interesting seeing what everyone is using.

Mapping:

Editor: Dark Radiant 2.04 (Jan 5)

Graphics: Photoshop 7, Compressonator 1.5

Sound: CoolEdit2000, freac 1.0.21

Text Editing: MS Word 2010, Wordpad

PK4s: WinZip, 7-Zip

Coding:

MSVS 2013 & 2010

Search: Windows Grep 2.3

Linux: Ubuntu 10.0.4 running on VirtualBox 5.0.12

Source Control: Tortoise SVN

Diff: ExamDiff 1.9

- Modeling: Blender - currently I've been using Blender for most modeling stages. Its free, very complete. I use the latest version. Since Im working with ASE, I simply export the models as OBJ and then use Serpentine's Assimp build to convert them to ASE and bring them ingame.

- Sculpting: Sculptris - its free and very nice. My prefered workflow is to grab the low poly model Im working on and sculpt it in sculptris, then import back for baking normals.

- Texturing: GIMP - also free (I like open software). It gets the job done no problem. Also good to create fast normalmaps, theres a built in filter.

- Video Editintg - Blender and Sony Vegas. Never used them for TDM stuff, but maybe people will find it useful to know blender has quite a capable video editor built in it. I use Sony Vegas when the project doesnt have good enough performance in Blender.

- Digital Art - MyPaint - free and very simple. There are more complete ones out there, but this is great for just sitting down and sketching your ideas. Used it for the "fanart" drawings I made. Had a kind of graphic novel planned, if I do it it will be using this guy.

Modeling: Lightwave 8.0

Animation: Maya 7.0

Texturing: Photoshop CS4

Audio editing/recording: Audacity

Mapping:

DarkRadiant (Latest SVN)

Photoshop CS5

Photoshop CS6

Notepad++

Sony Sound Forge 11 Pro

Programming (lol)

(Depending on what branch I'm poking around in, all installed on the same computer, surprisingly no issues)

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Microsoft Visual Studio 2012

Microsoft Visual Studio 2013

Microsoft Visual Studio 2015

Notepad++

Seach Everything

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Notepad++ for editing scripts, materials etc.

gimp for images.

Adobe Premiere for videos.

Freemake Videoconverter to, guess, convert videos (pretty fast and free, and it supports quite some formats).

ffmpeg to convert to roq.

7zip.

My brain ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter