63 replies to this topic

#1 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

Trigger hurt overview:

http://forums.thedar...w-does-it-work/

Edited by teh_saccade, 13 March 2017 - 07:57 AM.

• nbohr1more and Anderson like this

#2 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1332 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

Im both confused and fascinated by how you aproach the mapping process, hehe. It seems some of your posts are missing graphical information, but Im guessing you are still working on uploading things. BTW, love your avatar. As for your questions/brainstorm topics, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here to help with that, but what I can do is to stress on the benefits of having all of your "map storyline" hand drawn and written before you start mapping (and while youre at it). This means dividing your overall story between all the rooms and areas of your map, where you'll find this clue, where that item is gonna be hidden - by doing this you'll gradually grow a thorough understanding of how your map will play out, where it is lacking information or prizes, etc. It also helps you to create new ideas on the spot, as the map shapes itself in your plan. 

• Dragofer and teh_saccade like this

#3 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4735 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:42 AM

Some ideas that might help you:

If you don't want the player to die you could give him 200hp instead of the typical 100hp at the beginning of the level. The gui has to be altered to hide this effect. Once the hp falls on or below 100, a script could be called to perform the actions needed. I think the death sequence is hard-coded, so you may have to create your own (not that difficult). Teleporting the player can be done in various ways and is not that difficult, but as the "get captured" sequence is scripted anyways, it makes sense to put it into that script. Changing players hp can be done via script, too.

Regarding visual effects, what do you mean by "spatial illusions and disorientating effects"?

You can have several portal skies in a map, and switch between them by simple triggering the associated portal_sky cameras (either via a trigger or via script).

The shovel can either be a key (as you suggested) or a weapon. If you use it as a key, you have to make sure that the mud is a door. Note that doors only work if the actually move. So you have to set at least a minum rotation or translation on them. I used something similar in my first FM and had to find this out the hard way :)

Alternatively you can make the shovel a weapon, and use a stim to gain the desired effect. Note that in both cases it is possible to use several layers of mud, so not everything gets removed by once, but the player has to apply the shovel several times. In that case the weapon approach may be more logical.

If you want to use lots of ai in a cinemtatic scenery (gallows), where they don't have to react to the player, it makes sense to use interleaved thinking to save some cpu time.

Whether an object is visible or not can be checked via script. You can also alter the frobabuility of an object this way. This way you don't have to fiddle with the frobbox size. Setting this size to zero on small items can cause a lot of frustrations to players (hence it exists).

Creating custom inv items is pretty simple. You just need to write teh entity definition. Note to inherit your custom entity from the correct base entity to gain all the basic behavior. If you want to create a custom key for example, it makes sense to create a key in DR and check the "inherit" spawnarg (in that case something like atdm:key_base or similar). Use it on your custom entity, too.

You can restrict the players ability to move and turn via script. If you don't want the player to move by his own at all, use a cutscene. Grayman wrote a series of wiki articles on that topic (search for cutscene in the wiki to find them).

• RPGista likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#4 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Thanks very much for the tips, Obsttorte.

Edited by teh_saccade, 17 July 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#5 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4285 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

The garden is very well realised, looking suitably dense and mysterious. Is that a subtle fog effect?

• teh_saccade likes this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17840 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

+1 on that Garden - I love this sorta attention to detail..!!

#7 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks both.

Edited by teh_saccade, 17 July 2016 - 10:35 AM.

• Anderson likes this

#8 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4735 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

If i could put a B&W filter on it, it'd be like the C130 mission from CoDMW2, but in TDM.

http://forums.thedar...-thread/page-10

(post 248) :D

• teh_saccade likes this
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.

#9 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

haha nice!

#10 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4735 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

The folder structure mainly serves the purpose to get things ordered a bit. You do not have to create subfolders in the textures folder for example, but if you ship your FM with a lot of custom ones of them it may prove useful for you during the mission creation process. The same counts basically on everything else.

BTW.: Normal maps etc. do not have to be in dds file format. You can always choose whether you use this or a tga. The benefit of dds is that it is better compressed and holds several resolutions of the image, which helps with anisotropic filtering.

The readables of a mission don't have to go into one xd file, and it don't has to be named like the mission. You can spread them over several files to keep them sorted.

From the txt files in the main folder only startingmap.txt and darkmod.txt are neccessary. The first one is needed so the game knows which map to load and the second one is needed for your fm to show up on the mission page ingame. Note that the order of the content is fixed (at least it was like that in the past), and screwing it up causes the game to crash. Best is to copy it from an existing fm and just alter the content.

• Anderson and teh_saccade like this

#11 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:47 AM

Since the main map is taking such a long time to dmap, and even a small change can render teh aas out of date - i am wondering if the individual areas can be mapped in separate files and then imported into the main one...?

#12 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4285 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

Sure, you can import maps into each other. But I would recommend sticking with the long dmap times, and building your map with lots of interconnections.

(Of course, since you have a detailed plan, and know what you are doing, this advice may not apply as much to you as in general.)

• Anderson and teh_saccade like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#13 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

Cool thanks, Melan - it's more like damage limitation in case something goes wrong...
Had an instance earlier where some beams had decided to put their origin a million squares that way -->
Just wiped the lot, cos it was weird. Now every brush is worldspawn, so maybe it helps keep it tidy to "bake" the brushes into func_statics as well as the patch models.

#14 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4735 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

Regarding dmap times, make sure to deactivate vsync.

• teh_saccade likes this

#15 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4735 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Dmapping speed is bound to the framerate, which gets hold on 60 fps if vsync is active.

#16 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

Thanks again for the vsync tip!

Edited by teh_saccade, 31 July 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#17 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

the first area is almost complete, however I started this project because I was not well and it seems that I might not be well enought to finish it.

Thanks very much for all your time and answering of questions.

Pete

#18 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4285 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:29 AM

Whoa! I hope there is nothing seriously wrong.

Do get well!

#19 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hi - back again.

Hope to return to working on the level over the next few weeks. Reckon I've forgotten a lot of DR stuff, but hopefully can remember it and pick up again where it was left off:)

Glad this thread's here so I can figure out wtf I was doing before getting sick :P

#20 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7289 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

DR 2.0.4 is out now and it's a big improvement. :)

http://forums.thedar...nt-204-released

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#21 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

DR 2.0.4 is out now and it's a big improvement. :)

http://forums.thedar...nt-204-released

Ah! Thank you very much, nbohr1more!

I will download it soon and look forward to firing it up again! The big machine hasn't been switched on for a few months, so I bet there's a lot of updates to do:)

Edited by Bikerdude, 18 July 2016 - 02:45 PM.

• Anderson likes this

#22 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:02 AM

Was messing with one of (I think) bikerdude's great rainy window assets lately

That was actually Arcturus's work

http://forums.thedar...indow/?p=374611

• Bikerdude, Anderson and teh_saccade like this
The Accountant Series
Part 1: A Noble Home (complete rebuild coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#23 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

First of all, I hope you get well soon! And I believe, you misunderstood some of the people here (especially Bikerdude). He did mainly mean (at least I think so) that you should avoid deleting posts in older conversaitons, as many of them cannot be understood without your posts. If there are any spelling mistakes or passages, that are not understood, noone will get offended by it, so you don't have to defend yourself in this regard. And please, don't think that people don't appreciate the time you invested, because they did not explicitly say so, but many people concentrate on their own work and thus do not necessarily answer to other people. Just as you will, when you return to your job, people have to take their time to work on TDM and sacrifice their spare time for it. I think most people here appreciate all contributions, regardless of explicitly telling so.

#24 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17840 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hmmm maybe its a forum issue...

@Taaaki, can you have a look at this thread and see what on earth is going on..

#25 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5090 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

@Biker, his last post is saying that he's using this thread like a to-do list, and when he's done with some things he deletes the whole post to effectively check it off. If it were a normal thread that would be confusing. But considering this is a work thread he made just for his purposes, I don't think we should worry too much about it. As long as everybody understands t_s is doing a lot of stuff in here just for himself and we can trust good things will come out of it in the end. People have different work styles, and this style works for him.
  • teh_saccade likes this
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users