The Dark Mod Forums

Quickload and Updater Crash

HeinzFiction

Hello,

first, i hope i can explain what my problem is as my english isnt that good. I tried out DTM yesterday and played the training mission, which worked fine unil i reached the sneaky and shadowy part. the game recommend using the quicksave function, what i did. sadly, the game crash when i try to reload that save and shows me a textbox that says something like "couldnt load (directory)/the dark mod/training mission script. The other Problem ist, that i cant use the updater. if i try to execute it, the updater instantly crashes, so im stuck at version 2.0 at the moment. did i miss something? If not, do someone know a solution?

To solve the problems, please change the folder permissions, so TDM can write in this folder.

And then update TDM to the latest version, using the updater.

To solve problems like above in the future, I have created several TDM-installers.

For the next time you or someone else want to install TDM, run the installer, and run the updater.

..the game recommend using the quicksave function, what i did. sadly, the game crash when i try to reload that save and shows me a textbox that says something like "couldnt load (directory)/the dark mod/training mission script.

Is your tdm-game folder read-only? Check the file permissions of the folder and change them so that tdm can write files to it.

What is the location of the game-folder?

The other Problem ist, that i cant use the updater. if i try to execute it, the updater instantly crashes, so im stuck at version 2.0 at the moment. did i miss something? If not, do someone know a solution?

After setting the write permissions, please update tdm using the updater (from downloadpage), (unpack it to the tdm-folder and run it).
if the tdm-updater for windows immediately crashes, please read the FAQ and a wiki article
if the updater crashes, during the download process, rerun the updater and repeat that until you have download the complete 2.6 gb package.

..so im stuck at version 2.0 at the moment. did i miss something? If not, do someone know a solution?

i recommend to always update TDM to the newest release, using the updater.

Did you downloaded the "the dark mod 2.0 standalone full installer" (from moddb)?
If so, please update it using the updater.

(there is no standalone version for 2.03 at this moment.)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem. I'm using Windows 10 (64bit).

I have used the updater and everything is up to date.

I can load a new mission from the start (only tried training and Tears of St Lucia so far) and save it without any apparent problem. When I try to load a saved game it I get the splash screen but after 2-3 seconds "Game Error. Couldn't load Thief DarkMod 2\Maps\SaintLucia.script"

I have checked file permissions and given full access. I have removed 'read only' attributes from all files.

The saved games directory is there with 3 files for each save (name.save; name.tga; name.txt)

Directory tree is:

Games\Thief\Thief DarkMod 2\Thief DarkMod 2\fms\saintlucia\savegames

There is no directory called 'maps' anywhere and I can't find any files ending .script

Edited by PJMaybe