186 replies to this topic

#176 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5710 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, Devil's Canyon is a beast, no reason for you to upgrade yet unless you need the extra cores for streaming/encoding.

Encoding seems to scale almost linearly with Cores, I'd love to have 6/8/10/18 cores lol.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#177 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

The Ethereum Effect: Graphics Card Price Watch (Updated)

#178 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

The AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review: Zen on a Budget

Both are quad-core, but with 1 thread per core. $129 and $109 and they each come with a cooler.

Once you overclock them, they become a much better value than the comparable Intel chips.

Edited by jaxa, 27 July 2017 - 06:14 PM.

• PsymH likes this

#179 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:09 PM

Moved benchmarks

Edited by bobrpggamer, 03 August 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#180 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

http://www.anandtech...9-usd-august-31

First Threadripper chips available on the 10th. Threadripper has also been scaled down to an 8-core version with all of the PCIe lanes, available at the end of the month.

#181 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Edited by bobrpggamer, 03 August 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#182 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

I had no Idea an i9 was out, I usually check every month or so at new-egg so this is something to look into and the Broadwell 6950x is a joke at the price they ask, the second Broadwell extreme edition down is around a $1000.00

All the X299 Mobo's are bizarre looking with its off angle cuts and anti-symmetry wired looks.

44 lanes now - 2 16x SLI - 2 4x M2 boot drives (press F8) and a 1x HT-Omega Sound Card.

Look at the speed of these M2 cards https://www.newegg.c...598&ignorebbr=1 you could boot in 5 seconds, well maybe.

Anyone interested in a new build, the best cases I have seen ever are Case Labs. You can mount anything in any way like an erector set, you can even mount the power supply in the case to hide it: http://www.caselabs-...e.com/pc-cases/

You can have a cube case with 2 motherboards and up to 32 3.5 hard drives or up to 64 SSDs with this one: http://www.caselabs-...0-customizable/

Edited by bobrpggamer, 03 August 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#183 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

http://www.anandtech...nd-1920x-review

https://arstechnica....ew-1950x-1920x/

Threadripper 1950X and 1920X reviewed. 16 cores for $1000, 12 cores for $800 (there is also the unannounced TR 1920 with 12 cores and lower clock that could be cheaper).

#184 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18523 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, AMD are back baby!

I never did like Intel and to date I have never bought a brand new cpu from them, only ever second hand. But all the Ryzen hubbub has reminded people about he old facts about how Intel stiffed AMD from the beginning and used legal bollox to screw them over for over a decade.

Intel in a Nutshell are f**ked, they have been sitting on their collective laurels for far too long. AMD have come in and kicked them squarely in the family jewels, just like they did with the Athlon 64 series only this time AMD have got the desktop and server markets covered.

And the proverbial skeleton in the closet, Intel now see themselves as an Israeli company (with kickbacks to the Netanyahu regime) Yet another reason to never to ever buy anything from them period.

#185 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

Yeah, AMD are back baby!

I had a K6 350 and i have to say it was garbage compared to the Pentium 3 in gaming - before I get anyone upset - I also had a 800MHZ Duron and it was a decent Celeron contender, Then I bought a AMD a 1700xp upgraded to a 2000xp i think, then to a 4000+ that I still have in my computer tool chest the the dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+.

I had my first pseudo dual core Intel Pentium 4 just for the hyperthreading during render time, and it was garbage.

Then came the Core 2 Quad and I have been an Intel slave since - my latest was a 3960X and it is a good match for my GTX 1080.

Funny thing I played the first 2 Thief's with that AMD 350 and I would get a slide show on certain part of the Shipping and Receiving mission, of course i had a crappy video card probably the Diamond Stealth III S530 S3 Savage 4 Pro PCI, I don't quite remember but it was PCI and had S3 Texture compression

#186 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

Funny thing I played the first 2 Thief's with that AMD 350 and I would get a slide show on certain part of the Shipping and Receiving mission, of course i had a crappy video card probably the Diamond Stealth III S530 S3 Savage 4 Pro PCI, I don't quite remember but it was PCI and had S3 Texture compression

You could probably get vanilla Thief running on a smartwatch these days (although that's actually a RasPi). Not sure about NewDark missions with quintillions of potential polygons.

Intel in a Nutshell are f**ked, they have been sitting on their collective laurels for far too long. AMD have come in and kicked them squarely in the family jewels, just like they did with the Athlon 64 series only this time AMD have got the desktop and server markets covered.

Intel fans are probably still willing to pay a premium for Intel chips. They are partially justified since AMD still lags in single-threaded performance and single-threaded IPC is still the most important performance factor for most users. They may just pick up an i5-7640X (4 cores, 4 threads) and call it a day.

Success for AMD doesn't mean getting a majority of the desktop/HEDT/SHED market. They are probably counting on hitting just 20%. They may have succeeded at doing that. But 50% would be an astonishing win for AMD and the company doesn't believe it will happen.

Threadripper is a niche product for consumers at a great price per core but still priced out of many builds (don't forget to add a costly motherboard). Businesses and labs may have more success with it, using it as a cheap non-Epyc alternative to Xeons. But wait, the prices for those 16-core Epyc chips are very reasonable... $650 for the 16-core Epyc 7281, WOW. The clock speeds are lower, but still...

AMD may have 7nm chips coming as soon as say, 2019. They are going to skip the 10nm node just like they skipped 20/22nm, but this time GloFo and others are supposedly going to get there much faster, and maybe ASML will finally have EUV lithography ready to make it easier. What happens between now and then will determine whether AMD can keep this up. Intel has delayed 10nm for a long time but is getting there soon, and Intel's nodes are said to be denser than competitors'. Intel 14nm Coffee Lake will have a 6-core i5-8400 for pretty cheap. To be announced August 21.

Ryzen has been a desktop-first launch so we have yet to get our hands on the laptop chips (codenamed Raven Ridge). Unfortunately, it seems that AMD has no plans to put 6 or 8 cores into laptop APUs anytime soon (Raven Ridge this year, Gray Hawk in 2019), which I would lay down some money for. There are rumors that Coffee Lake laptop chips could have up to 6 cores in 2018 which would be disappointing if AMD takes 2-3 years to match that (based on the roadmaps I linked).

#187 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted Today, 04:42 PM

You could probably get vanilla Thief running on a smartwatch these days (although that's actually a RasPi). Not sure about NewDark missions with quintillions of potential polygons

Yeah, I give some time to look at the smartwatch, I think I will stick with AMD k6 350 for as long as god will continue to pay my rent for me for the next 10 years (gosh I hope so), then I may look into an AMD xp 2100,and then I will be cooking with gas.

I think that god has better solutions for health care and a nice 1266 dollars strait from the heavens, it's usually a better solution compared to welfare and stuff.

Edited by bobrpggamer, Today, 04:50 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amd, nvidia, intel, cpu, gpu, zen, pascal, kaby lake, skylake, vega

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users