Photo

Fan Mission: Full Moon Fever by Spoonman (14/05/2016)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#26 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

Still on the first floor and I have a question in relation to the maps

When selecting using the M key it is a bit blurred but a second click to bring up the other map brings it into focus

Is this an affect of playing on 1920 x 1080

One minor annoyance - a lot of the frobbable objects haven't been set a pixel above the thing they are resting on so when frobbed often drop through the surface

#27 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

Still on the first floor and I have a question in relation to the maps

When selecting using the M key it is a bit blurred but a second click to bring up the other map brings it into focus

Is this an affect of playing on 1920 x 1080

@jim, its a mod bug. The author will have had a different res and set the map to have the correct aspect ration for said res.

#28 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Completed on hardest and ghosted (nearly)

Spoiler
One thing I may have missed this cupboard in the captains room

Spoiler

As an aside I hate clanking grills

Will play through again as I would like to make more use of the passages

#29 Ryan101

Ryan101

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

Awesome, awesome mission. Really liked the twist.

Map ended up being a lot bigger than I anticipated, and the plot unfolded nicely, and in a way that was pleasantly unintentional:

Spoiler

Well done.

If I had to levy one criticism, it's that loot becomes almost trivially easy to find in the latter half of the FM, which makes the first half a little less important when it comes to exploring. But I digress. Excellent map, and one of my new favorites.

• Melan likes this

#30 Spooks

Spooks

• PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:31 PM

Coming off fresh from finishing the mission:

I entered the mansion through a balcony, then proceeded to knock a guard flat on his face. Hearing the clatter of footsteps I had to quickly shoulder the body as a guard emerged from a corner. With many lights around I had to creep past him, body in tow, as I frantically searched for someplace safe to store my sleeping friend - I came to stash him in a privy after a mad dash to keep safe. This mission oozes tension and doesn't let up!

The layout of the mansion is intricate, with plenty of electric lights to keep you on your toes and many corners to hide in. It's labyrinthine in the same way Thief's missions were and while that level design always tethers on the edge of irritation through information overload(I'm looking at you, Thieves Guild), I'm glad to say this FM doesn't grate or overstay its welcome. Still, I would've liked one or two more readables to break up the core gameplay. I actually enjoyed the general lack of them - not every average Joe in the mansion's gonna spill their thoughts in their little diary - but in hindsight a pinned note or two here and there would've made the estate feel more lived in.

The readables that are in there serve their purpose well enough. The mission's gameplay is hard but not irritating. If you need to find a key, there's probably a hint in a readable and some map reading to set you on your path. Your goals are always simple enough to remember in the back of your head while you focus on the gameplay and I appreciate that.

The aesthetics and color choices felt a bit off to me... I can't quite put my finger on why. The architectural side of this mission is top notch, hear ye hear ye, but traversing the mansion multiple times over left the impression of it being too... monochromatic? This problem isn't present in the crypts, however, where this mission's spirit feels much more at home. 

Some things I liked in no particular order are: the inability to tell a guard's patrol route easily, the (limited) usefulness of rope arrows inside the mansion, the decals when the switcheroo happens, the architectural accents like coffers and truss in the crypts. Overall, I think this is a solid mansion FM through and through, well worth the play-time. Thank you for making it!

• SeriousToni and Taquito like this

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016)

Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes!

#31 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

I'm ten minutes in and loving it.

Two things:

Spoiler

#32 level

level

Spoonman

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

The aesthetics and color choices felt a bit off to me... I can't quite put my finger on why. The architectural side of this mission is top notch, hear ye hear ye, but traversing the mansion multiple times over left the impression of it being too... monochromatic? This problem isn't present in the crypts, however, where this mission's spirit feels much more at home. 

Thank you for your comments! That was a deliberate decision on my part. Basically I wanted to make it look like TDP, and I thought the ubiquitous stone textures and monochramatic lights were a fundamental part of it.

Spoiler

My original idea was that they could be dropped on carpet and they wouldn't alert any guards (It required some manipulation of the grate, which I agree could be a little tricky) But I think the problem is that it's hitting one of the books laying around the study room and that's why it's making a loud noise. This was not intentional. You could try timing the patrol of the guards, since none of them stay in that place for too long.

• Melan and SeriousToni like this

#33 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

What a great mission! I can definitely see the similarities to Transitions into Chaos, which is a very good thing. Great atmosphere, tough but fair difficulty, interesting plot, and very well done level design. This one's onto my top five TDM missions :-).

• SeriousToni likes this
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#34 peispud

peispud

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

Excellent mission - smooth, never tedious game play, fun map. Thank you.

#35 hanmin

hanmin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

Very awesome, many thanks and grats.

This gave me a lot of suspense. Just finished the mission on expert with 0 stealth score/all loot(exept the undermentioned), clubbing my way through. (cheating with show_loot and the senses indicator over each AI, not shure what the latter one is called or how it did it. But don't tell anyone ;-) )
I also clubbed my way through. When the question came up how to achieve this:

Spoiler

My solution was:

Spoiler

I Also wondered over this:

Spoiler

Adding to what's been said before

Spoiler

Another challenge was
Spoiler

+1 for:

Spoiler

I really liked the amount and use of readables. As a nonnative english speaker, it is always a bit of a pain to read long diaries and letters and filter if this is relevant to the gameplay, contains hints or adds in what way to the story. Here it was well done

#36 acolyte6

acolyte6

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:47 AM

Sorry about the delay. Haven't been able to test a couple of days, cuz I got in a car accident on Thursday. The hurt is starting to go away, so I'm gonna give it a try later today :)

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI
Onboard is:
CPU: Intel Socket 775
VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260
RAM: DDRIII 16Gb
HDD: 2 Tb
All service packs and latest drivers installed.

#37 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:01 AM

Cuz I got in a car accident on Thursday. The hurt is starting to go away, so I'm gonna give it a try later today :)

Hope you are the car are repairable, and this mission should keep you occupied for a little while.

#38 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

Playing through again but the other way round - excavation before searching the mansion for loot - there is a lot of loot in the sarcophagus (plural) which I thought I could get by opening the lids but I can't

Am I missing something or is it actually unfrobbable

#39 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

you can frob the loot through the sarcophagus walls, a bit cheap but it works.
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#40 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:33 AM

I didn't even try that  :blush: 

#41 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:09 AM

Now completed on hardest with a very good stealth score having having started with the underground objective and using the ducts as needed

Spoiler

I agree with an earlier comment - there is too much loot compared to the objectives which meant it could be completed without exploring the whole area which is a pity as you miss a whole lot of the map

#42 FenPhoenix

FenPhoenix

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

I like that greenhouse.

• SeriousToni likes this

#43 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5753 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

Really torn on this mission. One one hand it looks great, challenging with all the guards patrolling.

On the other hand it's annoying as fuck. Can't get into lord's room, can't get into study, can't get into the bedroom, can't get into the room in the basement where I think the crypt is. I've stolen every key I can find, Front door and guard captain key, both useless. The front door key doesn't even open the front door lol, had to pick it.

Where the hell are you supposed to go? I've wandered around the whole map, checking all the rooms, stealing everything. Getting really really really really bored at this point, I just want to stop playing.

I HATE key hunts. None of the books are readable, There's grates in the ceilings the you can remove but you can't climb into them because 1) they're all metal so can't use rope arrows. 2) they're a million miles away from any amount of crates. I'm NOT traipsing across the entire building 5 times with crates just so I can see what's up there.

Ugh.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#44 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18642 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

LOL dude, you would so never make a classic thief player. I am normally terrible and finding places but found everything just fine.

#45 level

level

Spoonman

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

Really torn on this mission. One one hand it looks great, challenging with all the guards patrolling.

On the other hand it's annoying as fuck. Can't get into lord's room, can't get into study, can't get into the bedroom, can't get into the room in the basement where I think the crypt is. I've stolen every key I can find, Front door and guard captain key, both useless. The front door key doesn't even open the front door lol, had to pick it.

Where the hell are you supposed to go? I've wandered around the whole map, checking all the rooms, stealing everything. Getting really really really really bored at this point, I just want to stop playing.

I HATE key hunts. None of the books are readable, There's grates in the ceilings the you can remove but you can't climb into them because 1) they're all metal so can't use rope arrows. 2) they're a million miles away from any amount of crates. I'm NOT traipsing across the entire building 5 times with crates just so I can see what's up there.

Ugh.

You need to get into the study first, and to do so you have to get into the vents. There's an entrance to them in the guest rooms, basement, servant's room and music room on the second floor. You don't need to use crates to reach them. Once you get inside the study I think the rest will be pretty straightforward.

#46 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

As an aside regarding grates and rope arrows - you can as the surrounds are wooden

• AluminumHaste likes this

#47 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5753 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

Yeah just found the grate in the servants room. Still very annoying though, no matter how hard you try you can't remove them grates without making a racket.

#48 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7801 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

Yeah just found the grate in the servants room. Still very annoying though, no matter how hard you try you can't remove them grates without making a racket.

Time to turn down your Hearing Difficulty setting and play it T1 style ;P :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#49 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

I managed to remove the one in the boiler room without alerting the man in there - it just required a bit of care with respect to the angle you frob it but I will admit it took several goes to get it right

#50 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5753 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

Time to turn down your Hearing Difficulty setting and play it T1 style ;P :)

Both set to hardcore and I'm loathe to change. I've played every single map this way :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users