19 replies to this topic

#1 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

POPULAR

Hello Everyone!

I've been a fan of the TDM community for some time now.  Over the last year or so, I've been chipping away at an FM of my own...

Volta and the Stone

Is ready for release, but only after a little beta test.

Attached File  volta_logo.jpg   77.9KB   2 downloads

Volta and the Stone is a fairly large 2-3 hour Thief-style mission (Lord Bafford's Manor). It is the first mission of a campaign that follows the thief and his encounter with an archaic and powerful force. The campaign will span from robbing noble houses to being hunted by malevolent creatures from beyond the Veil.  The emphasis is on creating a mood and tone that will hopefully feel familiar to fans of The Dark Mod and the original Thief games.

I'm looking for a few beta testers to help with the release (5 or so people).

I'd ask that beta testers have some time available to give constructive feedback and willing to explore a fairly large level.  Please PM for a download link.

Thanks everyone!

Now for a few screenshots:

Attached File  Volta_and_the_Stone_03.jpg   51.2KB   2 downloadsAttached File  Volta_and_the_Stone_04.jpg   40.89KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Volta_and_the_Stone_02.jpg   30.78KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Volta_and_the_Stone_01.jpg   47.08KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Volta_and_the_Stone_07.jpg   39.17KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Volta_and_the_Stone_06.jpg   29.11KB   1 downloads

Edited by kingsal, 21 May 2016 - 08:24 PM.

• Bikerdude, Ralle321, Melan and 20 others like this

#2 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11787 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

Looks stunning! Congrats!

#3 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18536 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

+1, its almost like a different game with the new textures..

#4 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

Intriguing! What is it with new authors delivering such amazing-looking missions right out of the gate? :cool:

Unfortunately, I can't test right now, since time is kinda tight, but I am looking forward to playing it!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#5 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7646 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#6 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1999 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

As I am beta testing 2.04 I would be willing to beta test this one under it - drop me a PM if that would be acceptable

#7 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18536 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Oh man..... you people are going to be blown utterly and totally away - I goose bumbs just watching the trailer. if you thought Goldwwell set the 'Gold standard' (pun intended) for briefing vids, prepare to be amazed as the bar has been raised yet again..

#8 Ryan101

Ryan101

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

Holy smokes, can't wait to try this out. When it rains, it truly pours for TDM :)

#9 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18536 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Oh man..... you people are going to be blown utterly and totally away - I goose bumbs just watching the trailer. if you thought Goldwwell set the 'Gold standard' (pun intended) for briefing vids, prepare to be amazed as the bar has been raised yet again..

Right people, with permission from the author I am going to Twitch stream my beta test , Unfortunatly the conversion from Twitch to youtube has degraded quality.

#10 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11787 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

Watched the playthrough.

Stunning work.

#11 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5080 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:00 AM

Looking great for a first attempt. Looking forward to the release :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#12 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18536 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:17 AM

On my play through I mentioned eatable food, But Goldwell reminded me that he actually implemented it in AC2, so his was actually the first mission to have food that gave you health as per T1/2.

#13 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1999 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

Played through the beta version under 2.04 and by God this is one heck of a mission

One area where I would disagree with the author - 1 to 2 hours is a massive under estimate when playing on the hardest setting

Edited by Oldjim, 21 May 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#14 GUFF

GUFF

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

Can someone check my stream is live please..?

I watched part of the archived stream and when you started talking I immediately thought "it's you! of one of the NPCs in the game!" Mission looks pretty good, too. Very good mission intro, just like you said in this thread.

#15 skacky

skacky

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

The screenshots look rad, especially the fourth. The whole thing has a very peculiar eerie feel that I've never quite seen done in TDM before.

Good luck with the test!

#16 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

WOW

Judging from the screenshots, it looks like this TDS FM:  

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#17 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

Sorry for the late response, thanks so much guys! 

I apologize for the mission time estimate. I'll change that to reflect 2-3 hours. 

Goldwell was the first to implement edible food.  I'm excited to see how it was done in The Accountant II.  Mine is a pretty hacky health potion in disguise and probably not suitable for use in other FMs. I've encountered some strange bugs doing it that way.

I am still looking for a few more testers if anyone is interested.  Please PM me!

Thanks again everyone.

#18 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2137 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

Sorry for the late response, thanks so much guys! 

I apologize for the mission time estimate. I'll change that to reflect 2-3 hours. 

Goldwell was the first to implement edible food.  I'm excited to see how it was done in The Accountant II.  Mine is a pretty hacky health potion in disguise and probably not suitable for use in other FMs. I've encountered some strange bugs doing it that way.

I am still looking for a few more testers if anyone is interested.  Please PM me!

Thanks again everyone.

I'll send you through how it was done in accountant 2, because technically the game supports it, it's just missing a script or something.

It's actually quite simple setting everything up as all you need to do is add in one script file and a couple of spawnargs to the food that you want to heal the player.

The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#19 Gast

Gast

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:30 AM

This is very impressive! Even the loading screen looks gorgeous. 

#20 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

POPULAR

Thanks for all the help guys!

I got a ton of awesome feedback and was able to knock out a bunch of bugs.

I'll be releasing the mission sometime later this week.

• Bikerdude, kin, Ladro and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users