Photo

Fan Mission: Volta and the Stone by Kingsal (05/26/2016)

volta

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#76 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

POPULAR

Hey everyone, thanks for playing the mission and for all the valuable comments and support!

I'm hard at work on the next mission, but it will be some time before its ready. Also, Volta is getting a make-over with lots of bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, better voice audio, and some new stuff  :D

Taquito- You're crazy! Haha. I'm excited to give you the new version when its done.

Edited by kingsal, 13 November 2016 - 05:29 AM.

• AluminumHaste, lowenz, Goldwell and 3 others like this

#77 Don Locust

Don Locust

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#78 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

Finally finished this mission today.  Spent about 6.5 hours enjoying it if you can believe that.  Really superb in a lot of ways and its larger that I thought going in to it. 

Spoiler

So many cool things packed in to this FM.  Just fantastic.

• Bikerdude, Tarhiel and Anderson like this

#79 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

Waiting for the new version!

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#80 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:36 PM

8 hours on this sucker. Played over a couple days and had to remember my bearings but all the time was well spent and it didn't even feel like 8 hours and I also feel like I missed a ton of stuff in the mission.
  • Bikerdude likes this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#81 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

cant wait for his next mission.

#82 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

Yeah loved this mission, played it through 4 times now and it's great everytime. Can't wait for new version with all the fixes.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#83 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Any news?

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#84 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:14 PM

He is working on the next one now, I will be alpha testing in due course.

#85 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

POPULAR

I'm making progress on the follow up mission which I hope to have done late spring / early summer. This will come with a new campaign friendly "redux" version of Volta and the Stone.  I plan to do some pretty extensive testing on both missions, which Biker has kindly volunteered to help with.

Without spoiling anything, I'm aiming for a variety of mission types in the vein of Thief TDP within a short campaign.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Edited by kingsal, 03 January 2017 - 08:51 PM.

• lowenz, skacky, Moonbo and 4 others like this

#86 Anderson

Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:47 AM

From the oozing sfx at mission start, to the very end it successfully brings reminiscing vibes for that approach that was aimed by you when aiming for TDP-like similarity.
Do you think system requirements, good performance will be more difficult to achieve in the redux version of this FM and the next one for low end PC'S ?

Edited by Anderson, 04 January 2017 - 04:49 AM.

#87 Silverflame3

Silverflame3

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hey Kingsal, you've made a terrific mission, one of the very best, and certainly right up there with the thief feel (although to me it seems to be more Metal age feel than Dark project, but that is all right in my book). :)

I am anxiously awaiting the new version (who doesn't?), and certainly look forward to the next one, and there are a few things I would like to ask before that.

Would it be too much to ask for a list of bug fixes for the new version? I know it's not standard practice, but I've seen some mappers edit the initial post with the changelog for each new release (Dragofer, to be precise, but there might be others). It ticks my OCD knowing there is a new release but not knowing what has been fixed.

Also, one thing that keeps bugging me: What is that model/object used for room labels? Is it some form of a miniature map, and why that one? At first I though it was a map of the house itself and pointing out where you where (and I thought, he didn't go THAT far, now did he?), but on a closer inspection, I was a bit disappointed to see it was just a generic map texture.

Other than that, this mission is pure gold. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: One more question. What is that room seen in the last picture in the initial post? I've finished the first version of the map but I don't seem to recall where that might be, so if it's something that was added later on, that could be the reason why I've missed it.

Edited by Silverflame3, 04 January 2017 - 08:23 PM.

• Anderson likes this

#88 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

@Anderson - I hope to get more thief-y sounds in the update, as I've learned a bit more about how to produce them. The update won't necessarily be adding more detail per se, but rather touching up some of the architecture, textures, lighting and streamlining the mission flow a tad. If anything, I'm hoping to get better performance out of this version!

@Silverflame - Thank you for the kind words! I am glad you enjoyed the mission. You bring up an interesting bit about the changelist. The new version should be considered a 2.0+ so it won't really be easy to catalogue all of the changes. Some of which might even be spoilers. However, I'll try my best to note the major changes. The room you are looking for is the meat locker next to the kitchen ( first floor, north-west side of the mansion).

On that note:

As I mentioned, the new mission will be added to the current FM package with an "enhanced" version of Volta and the Stone.  I'll encourage folks to re-play the first mission as it will feature a few changes pertaining to the overall story of the campaign. However it won't be mandatory and I'm working out a way for people to skip it by purchasing a store item and using it in-game.

Edited by kingsal, 05 January 2017 - 05:41 PM.

• Anderson likes this

#89 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

From the oozing sfx at mission start, to the very end it successfully brings reminiscing vibes for that approach that was aimed by you when aiming for TDP-like similarity.

+1

#90 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

EDIT, sorry wrong thread :D

remove this message, please

Edited by lowenz, 07 January 2017 - 10:32 AM.

#91 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

Congrats on this excellent mission! It was most enjoyable

Spoiler

All in all, a great mission. Thanks for all your hard work. :) Look forward to more from you, as real life allows me to play.

• Bikerdude and Anderson like this

#92 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:20 AM

As I mentioned, the new mission will be added to the current FM package with an "enhanced" version of Volta and the Stone.  I'll encourage folks to re-play the first mission as it will feature a few changes pertaining to the overall story of the campaign. However it won't be mandatory and I'm working out a way for people to skip it by purchasing a store item and using it in-game.

Any news?

#93 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

POPULAR

Any news?

The new version is coming along steadily but slowly as real life obligations are soaking up a lot of my time.  Its turned into quite a project. Its the same mission, but with revised architecture, all new vocals, and quite a few new areas to explore. ;) The next mission is still the primary focus. Here are a few in progress shots of  volta v2:

Attached Files

• Bikerdude, lowenz, nbohr1more and 8 others like this

#94 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18340 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Man, I am so looking forward to this...

#95 teh_saccade

teh_saccade

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

So I guess I ought to hold off on breaking Volta1_1?
Or hurry it up for comparison? :-P

#96 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:13 AM

The new version is coming along steadily but slowly as real life obligations are soaking up a lot of my time.  Its turned into quite a project. Its the same mission, but with revised architecture, all new vocals, and quite a few new areas to explore. ;) The next mission is still the primary focus. Here are a few in progress shots of  volta v2:

Thanks man!

Very nice pictures, the first one is glorious.

#97 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

Right as I finally get my review for version 1 up. How cruel. :P

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users