The Dark Mod Forums

VC++ 2015 and KB 2919355 problems:

Bikerdude

So updated to 2.05 pre1 and I am seeing VC++ dll error -

post-496-0-24887400-1466020608_thumb.jpg

Now this is interesting because GoG Galaxy also uses VC++ 2015 and when I try to run that I get the same error. The issue is either whole or partly todo with the fact I am running windows 8.1, and I am seeing a number of issue with this bloody OS over win7 - this being the latest.

I have reinstalled VC+ 2015 x64 and it dosent fix this issue, any idea's..?

So updated to 2.05 pre1 and I am seeing VC++ dll error -

attachicon.gifffs.JPG

Now this is interesting because GoG Galaxy also uses VC++ 2015 and when I try to run that I get the same error. The issue is either whole or partly todo with the fact I am running windows 8.1, and I am seeing a number of issue with this bloody OS over win7 - this being the latest.

I have reinstalled VC+ 2015 x64 and it dosent fix this issue, any idea's..?

Looks like this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

This error surrounding VC_2015 is huge problem effecting massive swathe of windows7/8/8,1 users.

I have tried everything including manually force installing some windows updates, but it all come back to the f**king KB2919355 update for me as a win8.1 user. And the issue with that is if I understand correctly, dosen't apply to my system. So why f**k are are programs and every bit of info I can find online telling me to install the above update.I have tried several times to find a away to fix this, but every result I have thus far found is either telling me to reinstall vc_2015 (no effect) or KB299355 which when I try to install, fails.

Do we have any Windows 8.1 users running DR2.05pre1..? as my only recourse is to wipe the system and reinstall Windows 7 or 8.1 (I'm leaning towards 7, due all the f**king bugs 8.1 has)

Doesn't work period, all think does is point me to KB2999226 which I had to manually force install - when I tried to install normally it said not applicable to my system. There are no links on that page for individual .DLL's. I re-run the installed again just now and it say the update is already installed.

So for shits and giggles I manually download each .DLL it complained about, which then gives me a different error -

" The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b) " which then prompts me to reinstall the latest .NET - and surprise f**king surprise - it wont install because I need to have KB2919355.

I am convinced that my issues and all down to Windows 8.1.

it wont install because I need to have KB2919355.

but it all come back to the f**king KB2919355 update for me as a win8.1 user.

Ok tried something I had not tried up untill this point, checked for any hidden windows updates - and sure enough kb3162535 was in there (I don't remember hiding this, as its marked as important not optional). So unhide, re-ran windows update and it refused to install. So have just run downloaded and ran windows update troubleshoot from within windows and it found 'some' problems - but again kb3162535 failed.

Yeah, Win8\8.1 are Microsoft's red-headed stepchildren. They don't really want anyone on those builds, especially Win8 which was universally derided

because of their foolish UI decisions. If people keep using Win8 then there will be a whole user-base that is used-to the new UI who find the fixed UI in

Win10 to be alien, plus Win8's longevity will drive App developers to use legacy Win8 approaches and therefore make garbage Apps for Win10 rather

than switch to Win10 native methods (the curse of backward compatibility).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If you're having VC++ problems I feel bad for you son

I got 2919355 problems, but a bit ain't one

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You mean what OG am I using.

I'm just quoting Jay-Z's rap for laughs.

I'm still using VC++ 2010 and this thread isn't encouraging me to update anytime soon.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

So did a refresh in windows 8.1, and after nuking all my apps - it still didn't fix the issue. So backup'd my data, wiped the drive and installed Windows 7, and thatds where a whole new set of issues presented themselves as I have been fighting with it all day.

In a nutshell windows update no longer appears to work on a vanilla install (desktop pc) or old install (laptop) of windows 7...!!! It just sits there for hours checking for updates, so I can only conclude that either M$ are utter & complete incompetent f*kwits or worse they have upped their campaign to get more people off that OS and onto Win10. The former is to be expected (M$ have abysmally patheticly shit track record in this regard), but the latter is nothing short of what I would thought illegal.

And so after trying every fix under the sun and 3 fresh installs, I am going to go try the OffilineWsus route. The only issue I imagine wi will have is having to weed-out and uninstall and of the know spy/nagware updates related to win10 or other phone-home telemetry -

- http://download.wsusoffline.net/

And just to verify Window 8.1 was the culprit with regard to the KB2919355 update failing to install on this machine, I tried both the windows update and offline versions of that update on my media PC (which is running Win8.1) and it failed on that one as well. M$ f**ked up KB2919355 before and had to pull it, seems they don't know their arse from their elbow - as its still broken.

Well the WsusOffline app method appeared to work flawlessly, albeit very slowly. I just installed vc_2015 86/64 and DR 2.05 and et voila.

And manually checking what updates were installed , it looks like only 160+ security, hotfix and important updates were installed. None of the nasty telemetry/nag-spyware ridden one got download by the app. So moving forward this is my preferred method for updating, the upside being I can keep the repo current and permanently disable windows updates - NiiiiCE!

This is another nail in the coffin for windows, ever slowly but surely Linux is going to be my main desktop OS at some point in the future...

These are the times we live in, where it 'pays' to have multiple HDDs/partitions with different OSes to multi-boot into, or have 1 very powerful PC that can run them in virtual machines in a decent enough way. For me, I do a little of everything, with multiple PCs and multiple OSes in partitions/HDDs, so it's a bit of a juggle but I at least I can do anything I need to. I still prefer to stick with XP and 7 for most uses, but I'm starting to embrace Linux more and more.

I doubt I will ever touch Windows 8 just like I will never touch Vista. 10, I still don't know about... Maybe I will wait for 11, whatever that will be called, and give M$ that one final chance to not shoot themselves in both feet and fall down on top of Apple.

So a little update on this -

After trying everything I could think of as a user and computer engineer I got nowhere, so I had to do what I have only done once before and that is call M$.

After 2 days of them essentially doing everything I had already tried, albeit with a fancy .BAT batch file the end result was the same. KB2919355 point blank refused to install. So in the end M$ said I would have to repair windows by reinstalling it, so I said crack on, but dont install any option/recommended updates....

After wait 2hrs for the bloody update to install, I logged in only to find they had f**king install all the optional updates with ALL the "WIn10 f**king nagware" after I SPECIFICALLY told them NOT to. So as I had insisted on doing an Acronis backup (thank god) before they did anything drastic, I am currently doing a restore and then will repair windows again 'My Way, without all the f**king optional/recommended updates' and then we will see what's what.

The only good thing to come out of this was I got M$ to upgrade my Windows 8 key to a 8.1 key!

Then once the media PC is sorted I will get them to see if they can fix Windows Update on my Win7 desktop PC.

So watch this space.