The Dark Mod Forums

Spadey - Ambients/Music

Spadey

Hello!

I'm from the TTLG forums known as "beauty-man" (and yes, please don't ask, lol) I admittedly have neglected TDM community, and in recent months discovered the great work that's done over here. I'm also glad to see a dedicated audio area as well. I just wanted to add my resources. Maybe about 7 years ago, I created ambients and music strictly with Thief in mind. From there I reached out to indie game developers and such, but always liked to come back and give free work to the Thief community. Feel very free to download any game audio project present on my website presented below, and utilize them for in-game audio or simply "mood music" while you work. I provide "terms of use" in every download. I have recently given out another project last night as a small spin off my last titled "Miasma" . It's not yet on my site, but I will provide the link here. Anyway, hope I can be of some assistance. Looks like a lot of great dev's here!

- Spadey

where is spadey - game audio

Effluvium - ambient resource

where is spadey - post production

• Like 2

Spadey - engineer/producer

whereisspadey.com

Hello Spadey,

Great to have you here! I just did a listen through Miasma. Wow, really great mood and tone. Seems pretty fitting for TDM.

I will definitely be hitting you up in the future!

Edited by kingsal

Hello Spadey,

Great to have you here! I just did a listen through Miasma. Wow, really great mood and tone. Seems pretty fitting for TDM.

I will definitely be hitting you up in the future!

Thanks a lot! I can honestly say it isn't my darkness, but I'm glad the mood is set just right with those selections. Definitely! Let me know!

I've been listening since last night.

Great stuff.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen!

P.S Effluvium is now live on my site just in case any of you don't want to bother downloading it and maybe not even liking it.

whereisspadey.com

Hi Spadey, happy to hear such a collection of tunes, your work is very inspired. On the technical side, several tracks are suffering from a buzzing and little artefacts (for exemple in the right channel of Sinking Claw). Apart from that, good job, I would listen to that while reading or working indeed. What tools do you use?

Hi Spadey, happy to hear such a collection of tunes, your work is very inspired. On the technical side, several tracks are suffering from a buzzing and little artefacts (for exemple in the right channel of Sinking Claw). Apart from that, good job, I would listen to that while reading or working indeed. What tools do you use?

Thank you kindly for listening! There's a few things I thought it could be as far as the artifacts are considered, and one I know for sure. First, I thought they may have gotten messed up during conversion from .wave to .ogg, but I ruled that out. Secondly, I thought perhaps it could be intersample peaks, which could be more likely as I actually didn't check for them. Although I'm not sure any of these even reach maximum volume. As for what I know it is, in some of these selections, I added some vinyl effects which adds noise and occasional pops. If you want, let me know what other ones you heard it in. It's likely because I had put a vinyl noise sample underneath everything to give it some sort of character (for better or worse)

As in Sinking Claw, it's actually a complete mono track, and if you're referring to the sounds that occurs at about 1:47, that's actually apart of the sample. There's about 3 samples. One with a complete lowpass filter, another howling like sample also lowpassed, and a "granulized" sample that is mostly heard in that 1:47 mark. Sometimes I was dealing with stereo samples, and summing them to mono doubled frequencies and just sounded awful.

As for what I use, I created everything in Ableton Live (my go to DAW) I loaded a lot of user sounds into Omnisphere 2, and did various processes from granular synthesis, filtering, and mixing custom sounds with the plethora of premade samples in Omnisphere. I love PSP's N2o which gives modular like effect processes. I use Klanghelm products which I feel give a good character too. I use those mainly for mix purposes, and of course specific plugs in the WAVEs bundle. Thanks again for giving input! Always appreciate that insight!

p.s I also thought maybe you were referring to selections in Miasma, which I will admit are horribly mixed and I intend on going back and fixing. There was always something off about some of those mixes that I couldn't stand, lol.

Edited by Spadey
  • Like 2

whereisspadey.com