The Dark Mod Forums

How to stop players doing this..?

teh_saccade

Why would you want to, some players love getting out-of-bounds..

But on a serious not is called player-clip.

Huh? Playerclip is a valid material flag:

https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

Anyway...

The solution here is to make a large frob box for the clip so that the player can never frob the AI because they'll always frob the invisible box instead.

(if you really want a solution)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'd like the player to be able to pickpocket through the grate/railings, maybe knock the guy out - but not teleport the body thru the grate... Body's like loot, not like a, eg box. It just magic's into the player's hands.

Easiest thing to do is to make your AI's bodies not shoulderable at all. That way the player can't magically dissolve them through grates with its venom, like a wolf spider, then spit them back out. Of course, you then have to account for that as the player will only be able to drag them on the ground.

The spawnarg for this is "is_shoulderable" or something of the sort, can't remember off the top of my head.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Just avoid making this kind of grate doors. Or simply make them openable so that the issue dissolves into "the player can access there anyway, so it does not matter they can shoulder bodies through grates."

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I was curious about this and messed around with it a bit.

You could place a clip brush around the grate. The thickness of the brush must be around 32 to prevent frobbing, which will feel unrealistic to the player (as they will clip against an invisible brush) Setting the frob_distance spawn arg on the body to something lower (like 32) would allow you to make a smaller clip brush, but that could create some serious problems with frobbing the body.

There are a few other solutions. However, I would definitely not recommend doing this unless it's absolutely critical to your level design.

post-35059-0-33593000-1467421965_thumb.jpg

Edited by kingsal
  • Like 1

Not a TDM level designer here so please don't laugh at the suggestion I'm not sure how TDM does things

Is it possible to set a region around a gate like that one so that if an unconscious body that isn't currently being shouldered enters that region it loses the attribute that says if can be shouldered and regains it if it leaves.

So you'd still be able to move the body but you couldn't teleport it through the gate & if you're on the same side of the gate as the body you can drag the body a little to pick it up or you can shrink the area as the player comes into frob range from that side of the gate so the region leaves the body with the same effect as if the body were dragged out of the region

And as the region only affects unconscious bodies you should still be able to pickpocket, move small objects & possibly BJ through the gate.

Also if you manage to open the gate you can remove the region & restore it if you close the gate

Lot of work for a small effect imo

Edited by esme

If you read back through gameplay discussions, there are probably 100s of small illogicalities like this people have found where the solutions would take a ton of work that not only might not be worth the payoff, but they might open up even more illogicalities in practice or throw off the game. If the problem is really gameplay breaking it'll get a fix, but if not, it depends.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...