Photo

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 3 by Melan and Bikerdude (2016/07/10)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#26 Marbrien

Marbrien

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:14 AM

I too am stuck on getting into the Red Room.  So far I have found

Spoiler

Edited by Marbrien, 13 July 2016 - 04:16 AM.

#27 hanmin

hanmin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

I too am stuck on getting into the Red Room.  So far I have found

Spoiler

There is
Spoiler

Edited by hanmin, 13 July 2016 - 05:27 AM.

#28 hanmin

hanmin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:02 AM

I found a way into the red room:
Spoiler

What an awesome riddle design.

Edited by hanmin, 13 July 2016 - 10:16 AM.

• Bikerdude, Melan, Tarhiel and 1 other like this

#29 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

Holy crap, that's actually not the solution I had in mind. But it is definitely the best one.

Congratulations, you beat the level designers!  B)

• Bikerdude, Tarhiel, skacky and 1 other like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#30 Marbrien

Marbrien

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:15 AM

I couldn't get the objects hanmin mentioned to balance, but I found what I think is the intended way into the Red Room.

Spoiler

As for the "surprise",

Spoiler

Edited by Marbrien, 13 July 2016 - 07:15 AM.

• hanmin likes this

#31 hanmin

hanmin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

Holy crap, that's actually not the solution I had in mind. But it is definitely the best one.

Congratulations, you beat the level designers!  B)

\o/

Marbiens or the intended solution was way too simple :-D

Spoiler

I couldn't get the objects hanmin mentioned to balance

I have to correct myself,
Spoiler

Edited by hanmin, 13 July 2016 - 09:46 AM.

• Bikerdude likes this

#32 skacky

skacky

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

Hahaha, I didn't even think of doing that, though I figured out how to get there quite easily using the intended method.

#33 pwl

pwl

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

This is a visually stunning mission!  Game play  is great also.  Thanks to all involved!!  will be playing again soon.

#34 MVT

MVT

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

The town map is too hard to read with a small screen.  Any change of posting a larger version.

#35 skacky

skacky

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

There is a high resolution image in the pk4 file (open it with 7-zip or another zip explorer).

#36 Abusimplea

Abusimplea

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

Now that was a hunt for keys and loot. I did not unlock all the doors and certainly missed a lot of places.

Spoiler

#37 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thank you so much M & B , very enjoyable.
I finished it on easy as is about my usual standard , I'm not much good at these missions sad to say.
Never did find and get too the fabled Cinders End to loot the place , managed to grab the barest minimum loot before I had to do that.
I did have a go , using the compass , but lost my way and kept on going round and round in boring circles!
Can I ask , are they anywhere near the Almsmaster's place?
Some sort of clue would be helpful for when I try again.I'm afraid most of you are streets ahead of me in all this if I may make a pun!
?

#38 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

I am not quite sure I understand. Cinder's End is the name of the quarter featured in the mission. Or are you referring to something else?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#39 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5192 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:13 AM

I think he's just referring to the way the map looks and the readables if you weren't keeping track of everything very well. They could lead one to think Cinder's End is a specific place rather than the name of the whole district.

Something about the tangled layout of the streets could also get one feeling paranoid about missing an area by not finding just the right way to it, although I think if one is methodical and paying attention to the map and the streets that shouldn't be a problem. I'm personally finding the map really useful for seeing how to get around, actually; it's better than most.

It's been said, but this FM looks great. It reminds me once again why city FMs are so effective, because of the density and diversity of environment, story, and action you can get in one package. It really lets you to have an FM where a lot can happen, in terms of following the story and all the kinds of game situations you can get into, and you've taken real advantage of that here.

• Melan likes this
Posted Image

#40 MVT

MVT

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

The town map is too hard to read with a small screen.  Any change of posting a larger version.

I found copies of the line drawing, but no labels.  The labels are the problem. 

#41 Marbrien

Marbrien

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

I've now played this excellent mission twice, once on Medium and once on Expert.  On expert I finished with 2592 of 3197 loot.  I found

Spoiler
Any pointers as to its location please, and where I might find extra loot?

#42 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:21 AM

I found copies of the line drawing, but no labels.  The labels are the problem. 

It looks like I forgot to include the high-res map in the mission archive! Here it goes (I have also added it to the OP):

Spoiler

Something about the tangled layout of the streets could also get one feeling paranoid about missing an area by not finding just the right way to it, although I think if one is methodical and paying attention to the map and the streets that shouldn't be a problem. I'm personally finding the map really useful for seeing how to get around, actually; it's better than most.

Could be. Slight spoilers follow on the mission's design:

Spoiler

• Tarhiel likes this

#43 prjames

prjames

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

Folks,

I figured out the earlier puzzles I had difficulty with.  Got one more hint request:

Spoiler

- prjames

NEVER MIND - I figured it out shortly after I posted it.

Spoiler

Edited by prjames, 16 July 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#44 Marbrien

Marbrien

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

prjames, "Ah, a hidden entrance"!  Thanks for that. 

Incidentally, above and behind

Spoiler

#45 rustmite

rustmite

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

In Bellingcourts

Spoiler

CycloManiac!

#46 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPip
  • 1999 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:54 AM

Yes but you need to get a lot further in the FM to use it

Mild spoiler

Spoiler

#47 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

Thanks Melan.
demagogue's first paragraph in the post following yours is right.I stupidly thought Cinders End was a block of old houses to loot on the map , not the name of the whole map area. Oh dear !
  • Bikerdude likes this

#48 Outlooker

Outlooker

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

This mission is wonderful, diverse, good-looking, detailed, BIG (it felt even bigger possibly because it made you not only have some area, but also a kind of vertical map in your mind), but felt very hard (at expert difficulty level at least). The mission statistics said I spent 9hours playing, but it must be more because of reloads. Because it was such a strain, I sliced this piece of thievish art into many pieces and enjoyed it over a couple days.

Above all, this mission demands unusual attention and perception: Blackjacking around and picking locks to force your way forward is useless or unavailable. You are put in the shoes of a cat-burglar - the great theme is not only sneaking, but mainly analysing architecture and exploiting it by climbing up and in - and this is harder than it sounds, at least it was so for me. You need high attention/perception at all times - otherwise one quickly may overlook something important and get stuck, resulting in frustration.

It can happen really quick  that a hint or means of access is overlooked  - but if you are really, really attentive, the mission shows you everything. Often I found myself stuck and frustrated. But then I pressed on and looked and puzzled and new ways forward opened up - resulting in a feeling of well-earned achievement.

I think this mission is less suitable for a newbie thief, but especially challenging and therefore rewarding for the thief veteran: What seems to be impossible to access initially, is revealed to be actually not so impossible at all  after careful, skilled burglar-eyed evaluation. Again and again, and that makes the mission so special and great.

After a couple of hours playing I even found myself in reality noticing a way to climb in an open window in the second floor of a house by exploiting a tree branch and external lamp during daydreaming in a waiting-queue. To become richer now I only need to train pull-ups and lose a bit of weight...

• Bikerdude, Melan and Tarhiel like this
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato
"When outmatched... cheat." Batman

#49 hanmin

hanmin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

What I could not find out yet:

Spoiler

Does this key actually exist? I've looked in the map file, but I could not find it.

#50 GUFF

GUFF

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:45 PM

Does this key actually exist? I've looked in the map file, but I could not find it.

It does not.

Spoiler

• Tarhiel and hanmin like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users