Photo

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 3 by Melan and Bikerdude (2016/07/10)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4330 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:52 AM

Would it be possible to move this technical discussion to a separate thread?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#102 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

Done, thread moved to -

- http://forums.thedar...en-playing-pd3/

#103 Pete70

Pete70

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:12 AM

Thank you for this amazing mission. I have a question regarding Armond's or Armand's key. I found a door that it will open but the door seems blocked, maybe by a body?

It will open very slowly and I can see a little bit of the room. At the bottom of the door there is maybe a small part of a red cape. I have been to this area before I had the key and don't remember if I did something to cause this. Is it important that I get into this room or do I have to start over? Another way in maybe? I could watch the videos of gameplay but I really hate doing that.

#104 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4330 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

Pete70: You can get into the room another way.

Spoiler

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#105 Pete70

Pete70

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

Melan: Thank you for quick reply. Aaagh, you got me. At least you will know that your efforts are not wasted. I should have stuck with my hunch about another way in. Just did not look hard enough. Makes for great

play though, thank you again. Pete

• Melan likes this

#106 kingsal

kingsal

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

I've played through this mission a couple times, including the beta test. I loved it each time and for different reasons which is a credit to its replay value. It achieves that illusive magic trick of making me want to know what is around each corner, who is who, and what my role is in all of it.  Its big, full of nuances, and rich in content. By the end of it I feel exhausted, but in the good kind of  exhausted way. 

I'm excited to see what you have in store next, Melan.

Edited by kingsal, 01 December 2016 - 03:45 AM.

#107 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4330 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:40 AM

Thanks, kingsal! It was precisely that elusive quality of plot threads connecting then disappearing into the distance which I wanted to capture, so if you got that, I have achieved something. :)

Right now, I am going through a burnout phase, and turned my attention to my other hobby, tabletop RPGs. I am working on Xyntillan, a large, classical dungeon adventure inspired by an ancient 1970s classic, and on the translation of Helvéczia, my picaresque fantasy RPG. And of course, running games.

I will be back to TDM in time, although before PD4, I would like to help finish Shadowhide's fantastic city mission.

• Anderson likes this

#108 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

Is there a way to defeat the

Spoiler
? or does it just have to be avoided ?

#109 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Avoided..

#110 esme

esme

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:36 AM

That's what I did B)

Spoiler

• Melan likes this

#111 Peanut

Peanut

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:57 PM

Very impressive, one of the very best city missions.

Spoiler

Edited by Peanut, 02 December 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#112 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

This mission is like an entire episode to a game. It's ridiculous.
  • Peanut and V-Man339 like this

Plastik Musik - Andrew Nathan Kite, Owner

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

http://www.facebook.com/plastikmusik /

http://www.youtube.com/plastikmusik

http://www.plastikmusik.bandcamp.com

#113 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4330 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

Thanks, all, and especially Peanut's detailed comments!

Some responses (probably no need to spoil them):

The readables in this mission were excellent. There was a very definite sense of independent characters living in the city, which was perhaps only slightly subdued by some areas feeling a little empty of civilians, apart from the beggars (ok it's night, let's say most of them are in bed or down the pub :-).  

The reason the streets are so empty is because there is a manhunt going on, and everyone who has a place to stay is trying to stay out of it. (For a counterexample, see the unfortunate incident on Dipper's Walk. ;))

WRT the Red Room and The Book, these are the hardest puzzles in the mission, the real hidden stuff. If you got them, you are real good!

#114 Peanut

Peanut

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:26 PM

The reason the streets are so empty is because there is a manhunt going on, and everyone who has a place to stay is trying to stay out of it. (For a counterexample, see the unfortunate incident on Dipper's Walk. ;))

Makes sense! 

WRT the Red Room and The Book, these are the hardest puzzles in the mission, the real hidden stuff. If you got them, you are real good!

...haha almost, but not quite... :) did have to come here for some hints. But then it all looks clear in hindsight!

Edited by Peanut, 03 December 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#115 V-Man339

V-Man339

Perfectionist Taffer

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:35 PM

This mission is like an entire episode to a game. It's ridiculous.

Agreed.

This level I can safely say puts a lot of content I've paid for to shame.

You guys really outdid yourself.

• Bikerdude and Melan like this

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.
Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

#116 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:11 AM

You guys really outdid yourself.

Heh, we thank you :-)

#117 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

10 hours. 2 main objectives done, still searching for some 100 loot. I really like how these missions are sprawling and unfamiliar and only over time spent in the landscape does it become familiar and understood. The scenery is well done enough that I remember layouts even while not playing.
  • Bikerdude likes this

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

#118 Deadlove

Deadlove

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Completed. Looking forward to getting closer to Flint's throat so Foxley can put a knife in it so he knows what it's like to be Grunt.
  • Bikerdude likes this

plastikmusik33@gmail.com

#119 manzanita-crow

manzanita-crow

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:18 AM

I can't work out the lion. So silly. Please tell me what I should do :)

#120 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4330 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hint: First, you must find the lion.

Spoiler

Spoiler:

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users