The Dark Mod Forums

Wierd Issue in TDM 2.03/2.04

NeonsStyle

My working map name is manor72 at the moment the fm name is Briarwood Manor (with underscore for folder name) but the map name there is briarwood This is used when I pack it into .pk4.

Most of the time I'm working on manor## (where ## = current save number).

I did as you suggested, put it all into startmap.map, removed the objective (just won't work) added a new readable (after deleting old ones).

Result: Still can't frob the readable. <scratches head> makes no sense at all. lol

Here's the interesting thing which tells me it's my map. I can take any FM and load it and read any readable, no problems. Do it with my map, any save number and

I have the can't frob issue.

Maybe it might be useful for someone to look at the map for me?

Neon

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I once had this problem with broken readables, this is how I fixed it.

Restart DR after changing these settings:
Edit -> Preferences
             |
             Game ----> Engine Path   :  <path to darkmod folder> eg. c:/games/darkmod/
             |   \
             |    \---> Mod (fs_game) :  fms/mymap  <-- change mymap to your fm_folder_name
             |     \--> Mod Base(...) :  .          <-- a single dot
             |
             Settings
                 |
                 Readable Editor ---> XData Storage Folder :   [Mod/xdata]

This lets DR find/create mymap.xd in fms\mymap\xdata folder.

You can also put mymap.xd in darkmod\xdata folder(create it if it doesn't exist).
DR can find it there with XData Storage Folder : [Mod Base/xdata]
So I have this:
darkmod <--- location of TheDarkMod.exe
      |
      fms
        |
        mymap
            |
            maps
            |   \ mymap.map
            |
            xdata
                 \ mymap.xd

Thanks Maxwell, but yeh that's not the issue. Mines all setup the same. Most of the time I work in The Dark Mod/maps folder. Once all the building is done, it moves to fms/mapname/maps

That's where I am atm. However the game won't dmap anything in fms/mapname/maps, says it can't find it ie, so atm I'm using tdm/maps

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thanks Maxwell, but yeh that's not the issue. Mines all setup the same. Most of the time I work in The Dark Mod/maps folder. Once all the building is done, it moves to fms/mapname/maps

That's where I am atm. However the game won't dmap anything in fms/mapname/maps, says it can't find it ie, so atm I'm using tdm/maps

Did you 'install' your mission, just like you do when you want to play someone else's released mission?

I didn't think to mention that dmap and map work if your WIP is installed as the current mission.

I just type: dmap mymap

I don't have to move anything around, just zip the contents of fms\mymap when i'm done.

This way I can also run the mission with 'New Mission' -> 'Start This Mission'.

I know that Maxwell, that's what was saying. It doesn't work, it used to work, but it doesn't now. On top of that If I pick up a readable and frob it

I can no longer frob anything else. On top of that, the objective I have (setup correctly) creates an error when the map loads. This isn't a syntax

issue.

I've been stuck with this now for 2 weeks, it gave me a massive migraine and it's beginning to look like no one here seems to know how to

solve the problem. Very frustrating. :(

Not being able to frob anything after trying a readable is because the game didn't find the text anywhere, which is in an .xd file. Your game also doesn't look like it can find the map file when it's in the fms/mission/maps folder, so the first thing I'd check is whether DarkRadiant's game settings still point to your fms/mission folder. My setup for an fm archive named river is Engine Path: C:/Games/, Mod: darkmod/fms/river, Mod Base: darkmod.

If the readable still blocks your frobbing, I'd suggest going through this checklist:

- where is your mission's .xd file and what is its filename? Are there multiple files, in either root or fms/mission?

- in your readable's readable editor, what is the XData Name? (this isn't a folder or file, but just a name inside the .xd file)

- does your .xd file contain this XData Name? It can be opened with notepad and searched through with ctrl + f.

An alternative to objectives for your situation is to use stim / response entirely. This is how it can be setup, probably similar in some ways to the objectives method:

- Select your item that's to be dropped, give it a memorable name like DropItem, then go at the top to -> entity -> stim/response.

- Go to 'custom stims' and add a new stim type, give it a name i.e. DropStim.

- Go to 'stims', select your new DropStim from the dropdown, no need to click on add.

- Check radius, set it to something appropriate i.e. 50 units - this is how close the origins of the two entities will need to come.

- Check time interval, set it to something like 1000 ms - this is how often the distance gets checked.

- Close down that window.

- Select the entity you want to drop your item onto, this could be a nodraw brush that's been made func_static. The important thing is that the origin is in a sensible place that can be reached by the dropped item: press v to move the origin if you've gone for a func_static brush.

- Open the entity -> stim/response window, go to 'responses', select your DropStim from the dropdown, again no need to click on add.

- Right-click in the 'Response Effects' box and select 'add new effect'.

- Right-click the new effect, edit, and change it to whatever you need. For example, to trigger the AI or a setobjectivestate entity. Repeat if you want multiple effects.

- Add another effect to shutdown the stim on DropItem: 'Deactivate Stim' on entity 'DropItem', Stim Type ID being your newly made DropStim.

• Like 1

Not being able to frob anything after trying a readable is because the game didn't find the text anywhere, which is in an .xd file. Your game also doesn't look like it can find the map file when it's in the fms/mission/maps folder, so the first thing I'd check is whether DarkRadiant's game settings still point to your fms/mission folder. My setup for an fm archive named river is Engine Path: C:/Games/, Mod: darkmod/fms/river, Mod Base: darkmod.

If the readable still blocks your frobbing, I'd suggest going through this checklist:

- where is your mission's .xd file and what is its filename? Are there multiple files, in either root or fms/mission?

- in your readable's readable editor, what is the XData Name? (this isn't a folder or file, but just a name inside the .xd file)

- does your .xd file contain this XData Name? It can be opened with notepad and searched through with ctrl + f.

Thanks Dragofer. I think I know what the problem is. You're right in that it's not finding the xdata folder. The problem is it's not finding the fms folder. This is how it's setup, the same it's always been (it used to work fine and I've not changed it). It's all setup correctly. I went through your checklist (same as mine) and went through it again, and again it all checks out. Either I'm blind, or there's something wrong. Ìf I try to dmap a map inside the fms/mapname/maps folder that is also NOT in tdm/maps, I get an error "Could not find darkmod/maps/mapname.map " It just won't find any map inside fms/mapname.

I was getting errors in mission.tdminfo file, but I figured that was auto generated so deleted it, and the game regenerated it without errors. The error was a brace missing in line 1. (never touched this file ever). I have gone over n over n over this trying to find a syntax issue, but there is none. It's all set up the way it's always been. I've not changed any of this, and it all used to work fine until 2 weeks ago where it stopped finding the fms. Jeez I've even reinstalled both tdm and dr which says it's my map.

I'm thinking now that the reason I'm not finding it is that I've been unwell for some time, and it tends to cloud my mind.

preferences.jpg

Edited by NeonsStyle

I just tried your way of setting up DarkRadiant and that works alright here - note that was with all "/" and no "\".

Ìf I try to dmap a map inside the fms/mapname/maps folder that is also NOT in tdm/maps, I get an error "Could not find darkmod/maps/mapname.map " It just won't find any map inside fms/mapname.

That sounds a lot like your fm isn't installed, as in that it's not currently active. Does the title of the currently installed mission equal the one in your fm folder's darkmod.txt file?

OMFG!!! FFS. Something as simple as that has kept me stuck for two weeks. This just goes to show how being sick stuffs up your thinking.

That fixed Dragofer, thank you so much man, I was pulling my hair out. I checked it all over n over again.

Why are the patch slashes opposite to the way they are with all computer stuff. lol Beats me.

I'm happy now it's fixed and I can get back into it. I like your method of doing that objective too, because the other

way was crashing the game.

You Sir are a legend.

Thanks so much mate

Neon

• Like 1

Yeh, I used to do programming n u learn that real fast. This was cause I'm not well.

I'm happy now it's fixed and I can get back into it.

Nice, then that probably came about from playing a different fm inbetween and not reverting back to your wip afterwards. It's just a matter of time to get to know all these quirks in TDM's machinery which you can't really explicitly find in any tutorials. Looking good.

I know you say you fixed it, but your mod base is an absolute rather than a relative path, which I think is a problem. I have backwards and forwards slashes in my paths and it works just fine.

This is the way I have my folders set up:

post-37271-0-72574400-1469564650_thumb.jpg

I don't think you really need to fill mod base unless you're using Doom 3 rather than The Dark Mod 2.0 (Standalone) for game.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Thanks Spooks. I'll keep that in mind. So much to learn, but it's so much fun n so creative making a level.

No, I've only used the Readables Editor. Now here's something else wierd.

No, I created the xdata file myself by using entity atdm:readable_mobile_paper01 after setting the mod folder in preferences. I did read the wiki on how to do this first. First I tried the atdm: readable_base but that didn't seem right.

ok...

Take it you paid no attention to what I said, and waited an additional two weeks to fix.

I already told you about the path and install error and the / and \ that you confuse.

Idk why I bother, really... and I rarely get help when I ask (usually because I figure it out myself or am told everyone's "too busy"). Now I know why there is the ignore list - you're its first resident, congrats.

Edited by teh_saccade

ok...

Take it you paid no attention to what I said, and waited an additional two weeks to fix.

I already told you about the path and install error and the / and \ that you confuse.

Idk why I bother, really... and I rarely get help when I ask (usually because I figure it out myself or am told everyone's "too busy"). Now I know why there is the ignore list - you're its first resident, congrats.

I believe, you misread the solution here (happened to me, too, at first): The problem was not the slashes, as spooks stated, that he mixes them, too, and does not experience any problems. The problems was the setup (Mod "The Dark Mod" vs. Mod "fms/WIP").

Also, I don't really understand why you are so upset. I, personally, try to help all people as good as I can. However, many problems are way above me and it would not help to just write "sorry, I can't help you". My personal experience is: If people can help you, they will. If they cannot, you will get no answer, as the answer would also not help you, anyway. Often questions you have (also a lot of questions I had myself) are things, you just have to try yourself as other people would also have to try it. It also took me a while to realise that...

• Like 1

Hm, ok, sad to hear that. On the other hand, you seem to go through a lot right now, so I can hardly imagine what it's like. I just hopw you get better soon and that you don't think, noone cares, and lose interest, because so far my experience was, that every contribution to TDM (and with that I mean maps, models etc, not only suggestions that are numerous, in contrast to actual contributions) is highly appreciated here. From your other thread I believe, your maps might really have potential to turn out great, if don't lose interest and ditch everything.

• Like 1

teh_saccade, I get the impression that maybe you're going through something outside of the forums that is spilling over into your online interactions. As someone who spent 9 months last year in deep, dark, depression, I can understand how it can influence our perceptions of interactions with others in our daily lives. Maybe that's not the case for you, but for me it meant that I perceived everyone either didn't care, or they were against me. It wasn't factual, but it was what I felt very deeply.

It got so bad that I became suicidal. In any case, maybe I'm way off, but I haven't seen anything to suggest what you say is actually happening. Often it's all perception, especially on message forums.

I don't like taking drugs to control my moods, so I now keep myself in check with meditation, and as silly as it might sound, subliminal hypnotic suggestion. It might be a placebo effect, but at least I'm functional and happy.

Anyway, try not to be too hard on yourself or the others here in the forum. Everyone is just doing the best they can.

As I said: If I could, I would really like to help you with the script. However, the only scripts I have implemented successfully were a "count the special items until the player has a sufficient amount" and a "random number generator player searches for a speical item". So this is, why I help people who have problem with the beginner's tutorial: These are questions I can actually help with...

No, I have spent ... 2 months trying to find out how to loop a script so I don't have to use a series of switches..?

Stumpy offered some help, but didn't really explain - it doesn't work - np - I'm asking the ID guys. I'll get it working.

Some guy needs babysitting through every step of the beginner's guide and gets everything bullet-pointed.

I needed ONE answer in over 400 hours in DR. Still don't know.

Nothing to do with outside influence - I'm just not getting a good vibe from many people in this forum right now. One in particular.

Perhaps it's because what I am trying (mostly with success) hasn't appeared in any other TDM mission I've played. IDGAF that no-one played any of my first missions or even paid attention to them.

I just scrapped one I spent 300 hours on because it was not good enough.

I turned down a job with decent studio (who's games I actually enjoy) last week and told them - "I'd rather get back working on TDM, tbh..." and sold a painting instead - I'm on this and have some few graphics jobs to pay the bills til Jan 2017.

Given up twitch, youtube - even told my agency - don't call me - I'll call you in 2017 after I've finished a personal project.

Just don't get the attitude... Few people in particular.

Forums... Don't get 'em.

I'm not on social media, facebook (just started back on IG), twitter, VK, tumblr - I was stalked by a "fan".

That's why I delete everything that's no longer relevent - I've even nuked posts from 1990's on USENET.

I've had to move house.

It wasn't pleasant.

She ran me over in her car. I've had to learn to walk again. My gf is back in Argentina. She won't be here til September. Til then, I'm doing my best R&R.

I'm happy, I'm not depressed - I'm just fed up with not making any progress because no-one here can take the time to help me when I ask, but when someone builds a basic mansion the same as every other mansion in the game... woooaahhh... detailed step-by-step instead of "go read the beginner's guide and use the wiki".

I want to make my level, that's it.

I want to know how to loop a script, so I don't have to use such a complicated switch system.

I'll find out over at the IDtech forums, because I think those guys might actually help me without giving me attitude, telling me off, sending me PMs or talking about me like I'm not here.

--

This isn't my first dog and pony show.

This post will be nuked.

Ban me if you want - I'll be back with a new OS/IP/You name it and you won't ever know its me.

I think the answer may be that perhaps your scripting question is above the paygrade. Everyone here is a volunteer or fan and as the post above explains, people answer what they know. I wouldn't take it personally.