The Dark Mod Forums

Will Work For Food...

drewb50

Here are the five amibents -- works in progress -- I've made. Most of you have probably already heard them. If you decide to use them, what would you like me to do with them, ie separate out the SFX, make them a certain length, save them as a 44k, 160 kbps .ogg file.... Just let me know.

http://home.comcast.net/~ablockno/ambient01.mp3 (castle/cathedral theme)

http://home.comcast.net/~ablockno/ambient02.mp3 (general theme)

http://home.comcast.net/~ablockno/undead.mp3

http://home.comcast.net/~ablockno/outside.mp3

http://home.comcast.net/~ablockno/mechanists.mp3

I read through the list of needed SFX. I'd be happy to start on some of those as well.

-Andy

Edited by drewb50

Hi Pak,

Should I just wait for an assignment, or is there some document that states which sounds are still needed. I don't mean to rush anyone, just want to make sure I'm following the procedure.

The idea of steam-punk-techno-rock is a controversial one around here, I know. I figured I'd take a shot at it. I guess it's worth some heated discussion, if anything. Let me know what you guys think.

http://home.comcast.net/~ablockno/ambient01Remix.mp3

Well I'm not a sound or music guy, but if you want some uninformed comments:

I like it a lot overall, thought the synth melody sounds were really well done and I liked the guitar section.

One minor gripe I had was with the percussion: When I think of the beats in Thief music, they seem to me to be more like "triphop" beats or something rather than the standard minimalist techno beat of 4-4 "beat rest rest rest / beat rest rest rest" and so on. So I wasn't too fond of the beat that came in at first around 00:36. Also the sound of the kick seemed very much like a club dance track kick or something to me. The Thief ones seemed to always use pretty real sounding drumkits.

I liked the beat that started at 1:12 a lot better than that first one. When the guitar came in at 1:44, the beat got minimalist again, but I think that beat worked a lot better there. Also in combination with the guitar background the kick sounded more real.

[edit: Also I liked the breakdown around 2:34 a lot]

I dunno, just some uninformed opinions, take it or leave it. :)

Edited by Ishtvan

When I think of the beats in Thief music, they seem to me to be more like "triphop" beats or something rather than the standard minimalist techno beat of 4-4 "beat rest rest rest / beat rest rest rest" and so on.

I was going for more of a glitch-electronica sound, but I see your point. A slow tempo, realistic "triphop" beat might do this some good--make it sound darker.

Sparhawk-- I'll kick around some more stuff. :)

@drewb50: That's just my personal opinion on the Thief series music, but you know best what works for your own pieces, so don't take what I say too seriously. :)

In fact I like pretty much all the beat except the very intro in 0:36-0:56. Maybe if the sound of the kick were changed a little I would like that too, I dunno.

Edited by Ishtvan

lol, guess I'll be the semi party pooper here. :P

On one hand it's an awesome track, shows off your skills really well. But on the other hand it doesn't fit with the mood and style we're going for. I think what Isht said would be the way to go with it...slower, more deliberate percussion. Something that sounds a little more rough, thicker, and grinding would work much better in my opinion.

Renzatic,

Thanks for the compliments and = the criticisms. My initial intent was to create something fresh/new for the Thief-like series. We all have our opinions about what's perfect in the games and what could use some updating. While I like the style of the originals, there are new forms of music --that didn't exist back then-- that can equally get the feeling across [there, done defending my ego B) ].

On the other hand, I completely agree with you and Ishtvan that a slower, more grundgy beat would do this stuff some good. So, I'll push this thing around some more and see what I can come up with.

Hi drewb! (Haven't listened to your new track yet, will do)

Heh, I'm kinda uncertain about this whole "contributor" thing, since you can't access all the design docs and stuff, but I think it's mostly to see if you're going to stick around and actually contribute with something.

I'm gonna speak with the team and see if we can make you a full time member since you a) already contributed some and b ) seems like a nice chap.

i dont think its not thief-like. actually, the music on thief was something i always thought it could be done better, it lacks a lot on the 'ocean's eleven/snatch' influence lol that's why i liked your percussion work, it helps bring a little thrill to the sneaking style

Welcome!

You did a good job on the RemixB version - I especialy like how you handle distortion. Good mixing, too. Only the fuzzy sounds on center pan that start around 0:38 nag me a bit, because they contrast a bit offensive with the rest (they fit in nicely later, when there's going on more in the upper band). Maybe try a stereo split on those? Btw, I'm one of those who supports Thief-beats in TDM. :)

Some nice ideas in undead.. although I'm a bit unsure about the Rhodes-like sound (0:12). The piano hit had me jumping though! Superbly placed.

Keep them coming, good good stuff!

Thanks Ishtvan. I'm glad you like it.

Schatten--

Thanks for the comments!

The fuzzy sound was something I didn't want to give up from the first, more techno version. I thing you'll see it doesn't stick out so much in that one. Maybe I can trim off some of the high frequency on it...

I've listened to some of your ambients. You have great attention to detail; sounds very polished.

I really like your "Church 2" from the sound track. Especially the warped-sounding voices; very melodic. The low frequencies are a bit high through my headphones, though. A little rough on the ears. :)

(edit) About the piano hit: Is that something we can put in a separate clip and supply for use as an alert state sound effect? I could just imagine creeping around a corner and BAM! a zombie's in your face and the piano hits!

Edited by drewb50

First of all, let me say, "Excellent job!" I really like the sounds and the quality is great!

I really liked the ambients... the only thing I can say about them is that the ambient sounds (especially the crickets) get too loud. The sound quality is excellent, but too much cricket volume. Lay back on them and it will be perfect.

The Undead track is wonderful. I agree taht the piano "hit" should be saved for when you run into an undead around a corner, or something like that. But, wow! Great sounds! I love the voices (almost exactly like the older Thief stuff! - I've still got to figure out exactly how they did those great backwards voice clips that sounded so freaky).

The church ambient has a great spooky feel to it. Ambient02 is a lot of fun, especially the didgeridoo. Hard to hear it in the Thief world.

The ambient remix is nice but should probably only be used for an intro or video clip. The drum beats are more techno-y and tend to have that 4 beat feel without as much of the "backbeat" feel. (if that makes any sense)

Overall, great work and welcome to the team!!!!! I'm looking forward to hearing more of your work!

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Saxmeister--

Thank you! I particularly like your "Victrola" one. Perfect isolation coming from a gramophone.

I also like "Mansion 1." Very suspensful.

I've still got to figure out exactly how they did those great backwards voice clips that sounded so freaky

That's a reversed echo. So reverse the voice first, add a delay (somewhere between .5 and .25 seconds with 1-3 echos) and then reverse it back. The effect is the echo coming before the source.

The ambient remix is nice but should probably only be used for an intro or video clip. The drum beats are more techno-y and tend to have that 4 beat feel without as much of the "backbeat" feel. (if that makes any sense)

Yeah, I definitely couldn't see this as an ingame ambient. Did you hear RemixB? Less techno, more backbeat... I think. :)