The Dark Mod Forums

Model Request: New Food Models

Goldwell

I'm not sure what sort of reaction I will get to this but I would love to put out a request for some new food models to be added into the core game or if not as a custom asset that could be added in by myself or other mappers who need it.

Here is a list of some new food items that I think would compliment the already existing ones in game

• Baguette
  • Meat/salami roll
  • Watermelon
  • Bananas
  • Cucumber
  • Deer leg (similar to Thief 2)
  • Mutton and other meats on bones, sort of like a chicken leg but not as defined as a modern day deep fried chicken leg of course
  • Cheese (more than the existing couple)
  • Leeks
  • Pies

That's all that I can come up with, if anyone else has any other ideas post them here and i'll add them to the list. If any modelers have the time/desire to fulfill part or even the whole list that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 3

There's one thing that is a must add to that list. a Roast dinner. Leg of lamb/beef etc surrounded by pumkin/roast potatoes. We have that big silver serving platter

and it begs or a meal to add to it. Something like these, it's enough to make you hungry:

suckling.jpg

c4ebcdc2e8d014577b4afc5cfd418a96.jpg

29889.jpg?width=600&height=400

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Airship made a variety of food models a while ago, including grapes, watermelons, lemons. I couldn't find it though.

What would certainly be incredible would be a roast pig-with-apple as the centrepiece of a dinner table, surrounded by various dishes. As a side-effect you'd be one step closer to a pig character, just that it would need a different skin.

Much of the work with these would probably be the textures. Once there are suitable source images for imperfect food, the models could follow quickly.

Thought I would make a start :)

65706f0266.jpg

Looking good there Merry The Outsider!

• Like 1

There's one thing that is a must add to that list. a Roast dinner. Leg of lamb/beef etc surrounded by pumkin/roast potatoes. We have that big silver serving platter

and it begs or a meal to add to it. Something like these, it's enough to make you hungry:

suckling.jpg

I could really imagine that well on the dinner table of some noble Lord, who goes hunting in the woods with his noble colleagues in his spare time. ;)

That and medieval pies. They don't look anything like the ones we have today, they were much higher, and the pastry was wholemeal flour so it had a completely

different colour, was more rocky texture to it. That series on the Farming in a monastery owned farm had them spot on.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would make a start :)

65706f0266.jpg

Would I be able to get a model off you to put into my map for that baguette please?

Thank you!

The model shows up in the editor looking like this:

oQZAXcG.png

One thing I thought it might be is the diffuse map? I tried opening the .spp file however had no luck.

Could I please get a copy of the regular texture in tga format? i'll try to see if I can get it working. Or perhaps there is an issue with the model itself, i'm not sure.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Goldwell

@GW, are going to make a material def to try this model out..?

Once I have the main texture I will yes

Accidentally included the version made with quads, instead of tris. For some reason, engine doesn't like those ;)

Of course the main texture is already there, named after this game's conventions, so _d is diffuse and _local is normal, looks like you already have this defined though, think quads was the only problem.

Here you go :)

.spp is substance painter project file by the way. Just included for the sake of completion.

suckling.jpg

Something like this is a big time commitment, not something I can do for free with work already haha

Will do everything in the original list with spare time I can find though, hope there is no hurry ;)

Edited by The Outsider
  • Like 3

Accidentally included the version made with quads, instead of tris. For some reason, engine doesn't like those ;)

Of course the main texture is already there, named after this game's conventions, so _d is diffuse and _local is normal, looks like you already have this defined though, think quads was the only problem.

Here you go :)

.spp is substance painter project file by the way. Just included for the sake of completion.

Something like this is a big time commitment, not something I can do for free with work already haha

Will do everything in the original list with spare time I can find though, hope there is no hurry ;)

That would be fantastic if you could work through that list, i'm sure I speak for most of us here when I say it would be very appreciated.

So an update on the baguette, I popped in the new model and file however the console popped up an error message stating the following "Only type 2 (RGB), 3 (gray), and 10 (RGB) TGA images supported". So what I did was create my own normal by using the "heightmap -> normal" option in njob on the "u_baguette_d.tga" file.

After replacing the local with that file above it worked in game, however i've hit another problem which is the size in game. Here's a screenshot to show you how it looks in among some other bread models currently in the game.

lHFrJ0d.jpg

So from that screenshot above I would guess that it needs to be maybe 2 or 3 times the size as it currently is.

• Like 1

Scaled this one after an existing bread model, must have been a small one, haha.

I remember the local issue with that other model also, forgot this time around. Simply changing mode in Photoshop fixed it.

Best to remember that for the next few and save you some trouble, sorry for that ;)

Will scale it up when I'm home. Was thinking to maybe expand upon your list, make some more bakery assets before moving on.

---- (Edit a couple hours later) ----

Scaled up the baguette, included a material definition and fixed the normal map to work out of the box, for others who might be looking in here. :)

Decided while it was open to carry on with bakery things. Sourdough bread, made in an hour, is it considered good enough to use or not? ;)

3D View Here

Link to both is here, can simply be unpacked into the darkmod base folder.

Edited by The Outsider
  • Like 3

Any chance of having that sourdough loaf cut on a with a couple of slices laying down as if on a breadboard?

Edited by NeonsStyle

• 3 months later...

NIce! Not sure about the ones on the bottom left, but the others are certainly top shelf.

Great! :) Bottom left are meant to look like well-done or overcooked. Engine really exaggerates bump maps though, so yes, not my favorite either ;)

Possibly may want to add burnt splotches on the diffuse then? I find one method that's nice for that is just using a blend to put a single channel grayscale tiling over the original material. Would probably be the cheapest option having a skin without having a whole separate diffuse for the burnt option. Just a suggestion, not everyone knows the reasoning behind the art either. :P

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything