The Dark Mod Launcher

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

I'm working on a new project: The Dark Mod Launcher.

Its an application launcher for users/beginners who have difficulties to,
run TDM (using start-arguments) and solving TDM operatingsystem errors.
First it was made for the new tdm-installer mac, as a launcher to run TDM and the updater inside one application-container.
But now i want to expand it, to do more things.

Tdm launcher will come in two versions:
Lite version:

• run TDM and TDM-updater.
  • run TDM and TDM-updater with commandline arguments.

Normal version - More advanced version

• run TDM and TDM-updater.
  • run TDM and TDM-updater with commandline arguments.
  • Ideas: screen resolution tester, application logger, Mission remover (outside TDM), etc.

Download the work-in-progress-version of the lite or standard version from my google drive and extract the executable in your tdm-folder.
Sourcecode of these versions will be publisched on my github repo and google drive)

This launcher is inspired by darkloader, thief 4 setup and tdminstaller-win.
Are other things you want to add to this launcher?

Attached Files

Edited by freyk, 11 September 2016 - 02:19 PM.

• Bikerdude, SeriousToni, jaxa and 1 other like this

#2 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2164 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:35 PM

This is a great idea Freyk. In terms of what to add I think it would be great to have something along the lines of darkloader, more specifically something that handles loading the missions and allows us to add in comments, whether we have completed the mission or not, completed it and any other relevant info (maybe if custom assets are used such as roq's/models/textures/sounds by scanning the FM file to see if they are present).

I don't know how hard that would be to do but I know I would really love to see something like that for TDM.

The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#3 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18745 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

The only feedback I have at this point after having played with the Mac lanucher is you need to fully update the readme so even basic users wont get confused.

#4 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8050 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

Interesting... what might be neat is having GUI representation of cvar settings so (for example) you could have image_downSizeLimit sliders

for diffuse, bump, and specular... Things that wouldn't officially be added to the main GUI settings as they might be confusing or clutter the interface.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#5 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1284 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

This is a great idea Freyk. In terms of what to add I think it would be great to have something along the lines of darkloader, more specifically something that handles loading the missions and allows us to add in comments, whether we have completed the mission or not, completed it and any other relevant info (maybe if custom assets are used such as roq's/models/textures/sounds by scanning the FM file to see if they are present).

I don't know how hard that would be to do but I know I would really love to see something like that for TDM.

I agree! It would be great if you could select a mission that is to be loaded before TDM starts, so you don't have to start the game, select the mission and then restart the game. This would be a nice fix for a common complaint.

#6 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

Just from seeing the screenshot: What is the difference between Close and Cancel? And why isn't Run the right corner, but somewhere else in the window (the buttons closer to the edges in windows are normally the ones who have a "final" task and are getting recognised much faster than in the middle of the window.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#7 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:42 AM

There is no difference between these buttons, because both buttons closes TDM-launcher-Lite.
TDM Launcher lite is a script made by using the engine of NSIS, and i dont have any control over the labels of the navigation buttons below.
(cant remove them either, because my knowledge of NSIS is short)

For the standard-version using C#, i got the total control over the buttons and a bit more experienced.

-edit-
I added a screenshot of the standard version to the startpost.
And uploaded a w.i.p-version of the standard version to my google drive.

Edited by freyk, 30 August 2016 - 06:07 AM.

• nbohr1more and Anderson like this

#8 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

The only feedback I have at this point after having played with the Mac lanucher is you need to fully update the readme so even basic users wont get confused.

I added the tdmlauncher-lite  and a howto-install file to the tdm mac dmg and uploaded to the google drive.

#9 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

There is no difference between these buttons, because both buttons closes TDM-launcher-Lite.

Then think about which one of the both you need and place the Run button next to the other one ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#10 freyk

freyk

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Because I dont have much control over the navigation buttons,
added a activation-button in the "form section" of the launcher-lite (v20160929).
(see topicstart for the updated screenshot)
Added publisched sourcecode to my github-repository.

For the standard version (v20160911),

what might be neat is having GUI representation of cvar settings so (for example) you could have image_downSizeLimit sliders...
Things that wouldn't officially be added to the main GUI settings as they might be confusing or clutter the interface.

I added some options for Image processing.
(see topicstart for the updated screenshot)

...more specifically something that handles loading the missions and allows us to add in comments, whether we have completed the mission or not, completed it and any other relevant info .

for now, added tabpage "missions" with an field where the use can see which mission is "installed".
For me its difficult to create parse-code that analyses the missions.tdminfo, in the current format.
It would be easier that the tdm-developers change the format in a better-readable format, like xml.

And publisched the sourcecode on my google drive, for the ones who like to help.

Edited by freyk, 12 September 2016 - 03:50 AM.

• nbohr1more likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users