With the 2.0.5pre4 build I linked in the other post, DR got support for what I call the Grouping feature.
Since grouping can mean a slightly different thing in every other app, I'll outline the feature by describing the behaviour:
- The feature can be accessed through the Edit Menu, the Orthoview-RMB Menu and the Toolbar, as well as keyboard shortcuts
- Default keyboard shortcut binding: Ctrl-Shift-G for Group Selection, Ctrl-Shift-U for UNgroup Selection
- To group items, select more than one element in the map and hit the Group Selection command
- To ungroup items, select one or more groups and hit Ungroup Selection
- Grouped items will get rendered as blue in the orthoview (instead of the default red colour)
- All other elements that are not part of a group keep rendering as red
grouping01.png 239.9KB 0 downloads
- When clicking the group, it's not possible to select a single item out of it, everything gets selected and can be manipulated right away.
- You can still edit vertices, edges or faces that are part of a group element
- You can create groups on top of other groups, just select everything you want to be part of it and hit Ctrl-Shift-G. This will create a new "outer group", packing any selected group(s) into it
- The contained group is not removed by this operation, when ungrouping the outer group the contained group is still there
- When parts of a group is filtered out through the Filter System or other means it will be hidden from the views, UNLESS you select the group, in which case the hidden parts will become visible: in the screenie the one brush is filtered out by the visportal filter before and after the selection operation:
grouping02.png 564.89KB 0 downloads
- When importing prefabs, there's an option to automatically group the prefab items (defaults to "yes")
- Cloning preserves group info: when duplicating grouped items, the cloned counter-parts will form a new group
- Grouping information is preserved in the map's .darkradiant file, you won't see the groups in the actual .map file
- You won't see the groups in the Entity List either
- The grouping information will be lost as soon as you save the .darkradiant file in any version prior to 2.0.5pre4 (these versions will ignore and strip this information)
- The Selection Set feature is still there, and remains independent from grouping
- Same holds for the Layer system
I'd like people to check it out and give feedback, and I do hope that I didn't mess up completely by implementing something that nobody wanted anyway.
I need feedback on whether this is an actual help during mapping. Feedback about bugs or misbehaviour, like undoing or redoing stuff, weird behaviour, group parts getting un-grouped on their own, something along these lines.